Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Beans
    17
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    I would like to put a button to force quit non responsive applications on the top bar in Ubuntu 11.04. This was one of the most helpful functions in previous versions of Ubuntu. Is there a way to regain this functionality so that I do not have to go to manually kill the process using command line or system processes.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    41

    Re: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse.au View Post
    I would like to put a button to force quit non responsive applications on the top bar in Ubuntu 11.04. This was one of the most helpful functions in previous versions of Ubuntu. Is there a way to regain this functionality so that I do not have to go to manually kill the process using command line or system processes.
    I ditto that!
    Jer 20:9
    Then I said, I will not mention Him, nor speak in His name any more. But His Word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with holding in, and I could not stop.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    1
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    this would be good

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    16,810

    Re: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    You can add a 'force quit' icon to the launcher or add as part of a group of r. click options on a launcher icon
    It can also be added to the power button drop down

    For a standalone launcher icon
    create .desktop
    Code:
    gedit ~/.local/share/applications/quit.desktop
    C&P this in, adjust Icon= line to icon of choice
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Exec=xkill
    Name=Force Quit
    Icon=/usr/share/icons/Humanity/actions/48/process-stop.svg
    Save, then open home folder (view > show hidden files), browse to
    .local/share/applications
    And drag the quit.desktop onto the launcher
    If need be log out/in to set

    To use - click on launcher X appears, put on window, left click.

    To add to a group using quicklists - see here, part of a utility group icon
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post10778758

    To add to power button - several ways, do only 1, my preferred is the last method (/usr/local/.. and link

    create the desktop as before, then either make a link to it in or just move it to
    /usr/share/indicators/session/applications

    Or just create the .desktop in there
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/share/indicators/session/applications/quit.desktop
    Or create in /usr/local and then link
    Code:
    mkdir -p  /usr/local/share/applications && \
    gksudo gedit /usr/local/share/applications/quit.desktop
    Then create the link
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/share/applications/quit.desktop /usr/share/indicators/session/applications/quit.desktop
    For multiple users quit.desktop must either be in /usr/share/indicators/session/applications or in /usr/local/share/applications/ and linked
    Last edited by mc4man; May 10th, 2011 at 02:09 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Classified
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Lubuntu

    Re: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    I'm doing this too. That is cool how that works!
    Thanks mc4man!
    CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-Core Black Edition OC'd to 4.3GHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Graphics: Twin Radeon 7870's | Memory: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaw Series DDR3 1600

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Beans
    155
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    You can add a 'force quit' icon to the launcher or add as part of a group of r. click options on a launcher icon
    It can also be added to the power button drop down

    For a standalone launcher icon
    create .desktop
    Code:
    gedit ~/.local/share/applications/quit.desktop
    C&P this in, adjust Icon= line to icon of choice
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Exec=xkill
    Name=Force Quit
    Icon=/usr/share/icons/Humanity/actions/48/process-stop.svg
    Save, then open home folder (view > show hidden files), browse to
    .local/share/applications
    And drag the quit.desktop onto the launcher
    If need be log out/in to set

    To use - click on launcher X appears, put on window, left click.

    To add to a group using quicklists - see here, part of a utility group icon
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post10778758

    To add to power button - several ways
    create the desktop as before, then either make a link to it in or just move it to
    /usr/share/indicators/session/applications

    Or just create the .desktop in there
    that is awesome, thank you, worked like a charm, i had been missing my force quit icon.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Beans
    1,319
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    I just use a Compiz keybinding for xkill (Super+X in my case). It's a little less obtrusive (because an icon on the panel to kill nonresponsive programs seems like admitting defeat.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    16,810

    Re: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I just use a Compiz keybinding for xkill (Super+X in my case). It's a little less obtrusive (because an icon on the panel to kill nonresponsive programs seems like admitting defeat.)
    That sounds good, (and easier), my second choice would be the power button

    Seem like it's about time for me to do some learning about compiz now that ubuntu is embracing it a bit more than in the past.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Beans
    17
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    You can add a 'force quit' icon to the launcher or add as part of a group of r. click options on a launcher icon
    It can also be added to the power button drop down

    For a standalone launcher icon
    create .desktop
    Code:
    gedit ~/.local/share/applications/quit.desktop
    C&P this in, adjust Icon= line to icon of choice
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Exec=xkill
    Name=Force Quit
    Icon=/usr/share/icons/Humanity/actions/48/process-stop.svg
    Save, then open home folder (view > show hidden files), browse to
    .local/share/applications
    And drag the quit.desktop onto the launcher
    If need be log out/in to set

    To use - click on launcher X appears, put on window, left click.

    To add to a group using quicklists - see here, part of a utility group icon
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post10778758

    To add to power button - several ways
    create the desktop as before, then either make a link to it in or just move it to
    /usr/share/indicators/session/applications

    Or just create the .desktop in there
    Thanks! That is AWESOME. thanks for that

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Beans
    90
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Can I put a force quit button in the top bar of Unity in 11.04

    Thanks, mc4man.
    Force Quit was one of the little extras I was wanting.
    It now sits on my Power Button drop-down.
    Sweet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •