Thread: Unity . . . lost my dictionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity . . . lost my dictionary

I pulled my dictionary out of the launcher . . . thought I could find it in my application menus. I would like to put it back in the launcher . . . but I can't find it anyplace. Kinda like Unity, but just finding my way around. Where'd it go?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Unity . . . lost my dictionary

The Gnome Dictionary doesn't seem to come preinstalled now on Ubuntu; it was missing from my system. It can be installed by installing the "gnome-desktop-utils" package from Software Center.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

I know it was there in the Unity launcher. I removed it . . . thought there were too many things there and I wouldn't need it that much. I changed my mind and want it back and I cannot find it in the applications. But I swear, it was there. Is it listed in the applications by a name I don't recognize? The search in the lens for "dictionary" shows nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I installed one from the Software Center . If you want the old one back , install Gnome Desktop Utilities .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi.
    Please press ALT + F2 and write the following: gnome-dictionary. It should show up there, if not, probably you don't have it installed.
    Have a nice day.
    Linux - not for popularity reasons, but for the love of the art.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks . . . I don't know where it went. Have a bit to learn about Unity. I removed it from the launcher, and it was not to be found in the applications . . . I am still confused on Unity and its relation to gnome. I noticed I didn't have gparted. I installed it. Couldn't find it in my apps, but it ran for the terminal. Now I can find it in my apps. The biggest problem I'm finding so far it that if I click on a menu that will show "accessories" or "office" I want all of them, not just a few. Or at least, when I click "more" I want them all. I'm not convinced that I get them all, but that some that are available are not always shown. There is a learning curve. I do kinda like unity, but haven't got it down yet.

Beans
    Hidden!

Another part of this bug complex is that the Alt-tab window list using Unity on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric does not display the gnome-dictionary window in the window list even when the gnome-dictionary window is visible at the same time the Unity Alt-tab window list is.

If you are running a full-screen window and try to Alt-tab between it and gnome-dictionary you will also have to minimize (iconify) the full-screen window to get to the gnome-dictionary window. If you are running more than one full-screen windows you will have to minimize them all.

What is the gnome-dictionary application failing to do that prevents it from being displayed in the Alt-tab window list?