Thread: Win 7 vdi (from vhd) gives "Fatal: Not bootable medium.."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Win 7 vdi (from vhd) gives "Fatal: Not bootable medium.."

I see a number of similar threads, but they all concern trying to create a virtual machine from a CD or ISO image.

I have a running Win 7 install, and created a virtual hard drive *.vhd using Disk2vhd. Then I converted it to vdi format using virtualboxmanage.

I then created a virtual machine with this vdi file as the hard disk.
    When I try to boot the virtual machine in virtualbox ose (under Ubuntu Lucid 64) I get the above-mentioned error. I have set the virtual machine I have to boot first from the hard disk and unchecked floppies and CD drive.

The machine is a Toshiba Tecra R700 with Windows 7 (64) and Lucid (64) both installed.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by rwigle; May 4th, 2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: clarification about flopppies and CD drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Win 7 vdi (from vhd) gives "Fatal: Not bootable medium.."

I am wondering if this is related to my dual boot configuration. I have a Windows 7, Vista Loader and Ubuntu all on the hard drive (see attached boot-info summary) and I have seen some reference to grub being on the wrong partition.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Win 7 vdi (from vhd) gives "Fatal: Not bootable medium.."

It seems that the problem was with the virtual machines I created under Windows 7 on the Tecra R-700. I copied a couple other Windows vdi/vhd files from other computers and they seem to run fine under virtualbox.

After several tries, I have given up on creating a virtual hard disk (vhd) with the disk2vhd utility on the Tecra R-700.

The specifics are:

Tecra R-700 dual booting Windows 7 (64) and Ubuntu Lucid.

To repeat, I think the problem was creating vhd files of the Windows 7 installation on the Tecra R-700.

The solution was to use virtual machines created on other (real) machines. These seem to work fine on the Tecra R-700 under virtualbox.
    Last edited by rwigle; May 17th, 2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Add reference to virtualbox to clarify