Thread: Banshee 2.0 Radio Station Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Banshee 2.0 Radio Station Problems

I just noticed Banshee is the new default player in Natty so I decided to move over my music and radio stations.

The media import worked for my few mp3s (only have a couple on here) I have but my radio stations did not import. Since I mostly listen to the radio while on the computer (ipod when I am not), I bit the bullet and recreated all my radio stations by hand.

Most worked but a few of my favorites do not. BBC World Service did not work so I launched Rhythmbox since it is still installed and BBC and the other stations played fine.

Searching around the net it looks like Banshee had problems with BBC before since it is an .asx type link but that was supposed to be fixed in one of the 1.x releases.

Luckily I found Vermont Public Radio hosts BBC World in a different format but my other stations are out of luck unless I stick with RB for now.

Anyone else having trouble with radio stations in Banshee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Banshee 2.0 Radio Station Problems

Quote Originally Posted by VideoRoy View Post
    I just noticed Banshee is the new default player in Natty so I decided to move over my music and radio stations.

The media import worked for my few mp3s (only have a couple on here) I have but my radio stations did not import. Since I mostly listen to the radio while on the computer (ipod when I am not), I bit the bullet and recreated all my radio stations by hand.

Most worked but a few of my favorites do not. BBC World Service did not work so I launched Rhythmbox since it is still installed and BBC and the other stations played fine.

Searching around the net it looks like Banshee had problems with BBC before since it is an .asx type link but that was supposed to be fixed in one of the 1.x releases.

Luckily I found Vermont Public Radio hosts BBC World in a different format but my other stations are out of luck unless I stick with RB for now.
    Anyone else having trouble with radio stations in Banshee?
    Looks like I need to stick with Rhythmbox for sure. I spent a lot of time setting up Banshee and found all my stations or alternatives. The interface is nice and it is easier to do a number things but there are sooo many problems I do not know where to begin. I would log all the bugs and quirks but there are really quite a lot.

Pretty disappointing this is the default music player especially for the radio stations. Maybe it works better for mp3, etc. but I am sort of still invested in iTunes for that stuff with my iPod sync for now.

Here is a brief list of issues in case anyone is interested:

- Will not play a number of stations that Rhthmbox plays no problem and they are not just the .asx type of stations.

- On stations that work some times I need to start and stop it 4 or 5 times to get it to play.

- Sometimes when I do get a station to play it will play the correct station but the wrong station name is listed as playing.

- Sometimes the station will play with the correct name in the title and everything appears to be correct but it is actually playing the wrong channel altogether.

- Sometimes the sound will just stop but the station is still playing. There is nothing wrong with my sound system because I can go to another app and get sound no problem. To correct in Banshee I need to start and stop the app a couple of times or reboot.

Really bad experience on this one and just not ready for prime time in my opinion. I will keep it loaded and watch for updates but stick with RB at least until it is completely stopped development.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Banshee 2.0 Radio Station Problems

I will have to agree with you: banshee support for radios is worse than in rhythmbox.
    Mariano
    Ubuntu Linux User Group Argentina
    Let's all get up and dance to a song/ That was a hit before your mother was born/ Though she was born a long long time ago