Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: acer_fancontrol fix (Ubuntu 11.04 +)

Beans

Re: acer_fancontrol fix (Ubuntu 11.04)

Fantastic!
    It works on my Aspire 5715Z under 10.10

Thanks!

Beans

Hi,
    I've just to modify the row 116 of the script as follows to make it consistent with my configuration:
    Code:
      cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp2_input |
    now it works pefectly!

Beans

First time on the forum, and a noob who's just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous: I'll try to keep it concise!

I'm currently running Ubuntu Jaunty on a 5315, celeron, 2g ram. I've tried liveCDs of various distros, and upgrades of Ubuntu, but the fan never kicks in, and the lappy shuts down due to overheating. Jaunty is the only Ubuntu which seems to keep the fan running, but since the repos are dry, I can't update any of the programs -- Jaunty was not an LTS. I read in a different forum post that whatever was in Jaunty that keeps the 5315's fans running was "fixed" (ie, buggered) in subsequent upgrades. The acer_fancontrol fix seems my best bet, as I daren't flash the BIOS -- but I'd like to see if it works first, before I commit to an install, and *then* find out it doesn't work.

So, to the questions:

1. Could the script and mempat and adjustments to startups, etc, be written to a persistent live-USB, so I could test them out first?

2. If not, could they be added to a live-USB or a liveCD as a custom image, and if so, how?

3. Failing all that, what are my options, remembering that flashing a new BIOS is not a preferred option?

Help!

Beans

This solution does not seem to work for the 5315 with ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I have tried a few times now.
    Frustrating. It does not make a newbie want to explore this OS much further.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thulitharn View Post

in the last step:

"7) Make it run automatically

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    Insert "acer_fancontrol" before the final "exit 0" (without quotes)."

instead of just having acer_fancontrol, put # acer_fancontrol insted.. this seemed to work for me

(btw i'm a complete noob at this and ive only had ubuntu for a few days, dont be discouraged! )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thulitharn View Post

I am also having the same issue on my Acer 5315 on 12.04 LTS. After editing everything i try running ./acer_fancontrol

I get the following output:

$ ./acer_fancontrol
    FATAL: Error inserting coretemp (/lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko): Operation not permitted
    You must have module coretemp to monitor the CPU temperature

So it looks like the coretmep module is not installed. Does anyone know how to install this in 12.04 LTS?

Beans

The only way I was able to get around this was to flash the BIOS to v1.43. Relatively painless. Just had to borrow a friends Vista CD, install it and run the BIOS flashing utility available from the acer website. Once it was flashed a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS was fine with a functioning fan.

Beans

I have just used this to fix the fan issue on my old 5315 with 1G, all I had to do was change a line from "temp1_input" to "temp2_input" and it worked great!

Thank you

Beans

This works!! Thank you dushmi94, it works on 12.04 . Fan is noisy but it woks and that is the main thing. Flashing the bios is not an option as it will only work with windoze but this solution is safe and simple to execute.Thank you again .

Beans

I'm having this message after doing
    Aspire-5315:~/Downloads/acer_fancontrol$ gedit acer_fancontrol

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkWidget::visited-link-color' of type `GdkColor' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x9393660)" of type `GString'
    Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkWidget::visited-link-color' of type `GdkColor' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x9a91300)" of type `GString'

what does it mean ?
    I'm using Edubuntu on Ebuntu 11.04

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast