Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother HL 2140 Printing Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Brother HL 2140 Printing Problem

Hello all,

I have a Brother HL 2140 printer hooked up to Ubuntu 11.04 via USB. The printer shows up in the print windows as the correct model. However, when I print, the printer keeps "printing" paper with nothing on it. I was forced to stop the printer manually because it just kept going. All the pages had nothing on them. Any help?
    Dual-boot: Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit / Windows 7 64-bit SONY VAIO FW Series VGN-FW590FVB Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz)16.4" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Beans

Re: Brother HL 2140 Printing Problem

Hi, got same problem here. I'm using HL-5350DN, If I choose the Recommended driver, the printer doesn't work at all. When I switched to the Foomatic one. It printed out blank pages.

Everything was working VERY WELL in Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Count me in on this , same multi blank page problem , also printer was perfect under 10.04 , Maybe not such a good idea to upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

no solution thus far...

SOLVED

Follow the instructions at Brother: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...ion_prn1a.html

Will require a sudo to unpack and install the drivers (not noted in the instructions)
    Will also require restart.

Then System> Admin> Printing: set HL2140 as default (the other version is broken & can be deleted after testing)
    May require restart.
    Last edited by coolglobal; May 5th, 2011 at 02:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by coolglobal View Post
    no solution thus far...

SOLVED

Follow the instructions at Brother: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...ion_prn1a.html

Will require a sudo to unpack and install the drivers (not noted in the instructions)
    Will also require restart.

Then System> Admin> Printing: set HL2140 as default (the other version is broken & can be deleted after testing)
    May require restart.
    I will try this fix ASAP. Until then, I have a quick question. When hardware works in one ubuntu release and then stops working in a future release, is that the OS fault?
    Dual-boot: Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit / Windows 7 64-bit SONY VAIO FW Series VGN-FW590FVB Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz)16.4" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Beans
    Hidden!

The fault could be shared by the OS & the hardware manufacturers. My only reply would be to setup an LTS (long term support) release to your satisfaction and stick with it for the duration. I find it to be the most problem free option.

Beans

There is a much easier solution. Just add the printer through standard "Printing" menu but identify the printer as a Brother HL-2170W instead of the HL-2140. This has worked in 11.04 as well as previous versions of Ubuntu.

Beans

the default driver "Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/Postscript" is what makes it print out all them blank pages change it to "Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e (recommended)" and it will print just fine.

Beans

Nixuntu:

You're absolutely right. That cleared it up real fast! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast