Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Software Center not working

Beans

Ubuntu Software Center not working

Hi, I recently installed ubuntu 11.04 after testing it on a live usb. When I tested it on live USB the software center worked as it should, However, Now I've installed it, it doesnt search or get any apps it just keeps the loading animation going!

My internet works fine and connects fine so I dont know what is wrong with it.

Also, The update manager doesnt work I get this error:

An unresolvable problem occurred while initialising the package information.

Please report this bug for the 'update-manager' package and try to include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, Eroblem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_i18n _Translation-en, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'
    Last edited by Fungle10; May 3rd, 2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: More problem

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Software Center not working

Quote Originally Posted by Fungle10 View Post
    Hi, I recently installed ubuntu 11.04 after testing it on a live usb. When I tested it on live USB the software center worked as it should, However, Now I've installed it, it doesnt search or get any apps it just keeps the loading animation going!

I have the exact same problem. during the evaluation, I installed several packages, and everythng worked fine. once I committed and let U take over the whole disk, I can't seem to load any or even see a listing beyond the initial categories.

I tried a few things I found online, including
    "sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" and even tried to use "apt-cdrom" to try and load software from the USB stick, but I really didn't know what I was doing. I did add the "cdrom" repository in the "sources" dialog in the software center, but nothing I try gets the software center to do anything but spin the little icon.

Beans

Please report this bug for the 'update-manager' package and try to include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, Eroblem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_i18n _Translation-en, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'
    I'm having the same problem. It worked perfectly this afternoon. Also, it won't connect to the Ubuntu Cloud, which is really annoying as I use that all the time.
    Last edited by odysseus2k7; May 4th, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
    Odysseus2k7

Beans

Same problem here. Apt-get build-dep says:
    "Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_binary-i386_Packages"
    It also complains about no header:
    "Encountered a section with no Package: header"

Ideas?

I wonder if I replace the offensive MergeList with a 'clean' one, It might fix the problem.

Can anyone copy their working copy of /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_binary-i386_Packages" and post it?

Other suggestions welcome.

Beans

I don't know if this is relevant, but I just tried to use synaptic pkg manager and got this error:

"E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_i18n _Translation-en
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello,
    Can you try a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean

Beans

sudo apt-get clean returns me to the command line.
    sudo apt-get autoclean gives me this:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_binary-i386_Packages

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pAsM View Post
    Hello,
    Can you try a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    Tried it. Got the following error:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive/ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_binary-i386_Packages

I should add that this problem only affects my netbook. My desktop accesses the cloud and software center just fine.

odysseus2k7
    Odysseus2k7

Beans

possible solution (radical, but effective)

I didn't have a lot invested in my install, so I decided to try again, just in case something had gone wrong with the process. I forgot to mention that when I tried to install from the ubiquity tool while running on the live USB, it failed to work. So I had rebooted to the boot menu and chose "install to hard drive". I'm guessing that maybe something got wonked on the USB from either running off of it and adding software, or something got over written when I tried to install from the running live USB. I re-wrote the USB stick from the iso, and then chose the "install to hard drive option" from the start. I told it to erase and re-install 11.4. Once the install was done, it tried to reboot, but after it got all the processes stopped it hung and I had to power down and restart with the switch. (I remember now that it did that on my first install as well). It came up from the hard drive and software center is now working. I just installed chromium with no problem. So it looks like it may be working ok. I am going to mess with it for a while and see what happens. I have no idea what went wrong, but there is definitely something not right with the ubiquity installer running from the USB. I hope this info helps someone figure out what the bug might be. Edit: I am also using a netbook, in particular an HP mini 1030r
    Last edited by jmmeyer; May 4th, 2011 at 05:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I had the same two problems. I managed to fix the second one; read this guys: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post10760591
    The first (About the software center not functioning) I still haven't been able to get my head around.

It's absolutely unprofessional to release a new upgrade before certain bugs are fixed. Unity's got many, and they're major; not the little tiny kinds you see running up your backpack every now and then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast