Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many people badmouthing Ubuntu and Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Too many people badmouthing Ubuntu and Unity

I have been out on Ubuntu facebook https://www.facebook.com/ubuntulinux and I can't believe all the complaining going on about the direction Ubuntu is going. (Unity) People are not giving it a chance. It's only been 5 days since the final release. I didn't like it at first, but now that I have started to use it, and got it setup the way I want it, it is just fine.

I know there are things I don't like about it, but I can work around them. I believe the problem is that the Ubuntu user base is growing larger and larger and there are so many combinations of hardware that there are going to be problems. Take for example my wifi card did not work right out of the box, but after 4 days of trouble shooting I am up and running. And also with more people there are different likes and dislikes. (You can't please all the people all of the time).

There are new user that have no idea how to fix issues like this, so they give up; throw up there hands and start slamming Ubuntu on facebook and on this forum. If there is one thing that make me angry is people that bad mouth Ubuntu and they don't even know how far it has come in a very short time.

I also have been hearing people say, I am going back to 10.04 or 10.10, and I was thinking of the same thing when I was having problems, but I didn't want to give up. I kept a working OS of 10.10 on another hard drive to fall back on, because I know when I go to the next release there would be problems to work out. But the only reason I do this is so I am not dead in the water until I get things worked out. Call it my safety valve if you will.

Thanks for hearing me out, I had to get this off my chest.
    Last edited by irv; May 4th, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Re: To many people bad mouthing Ubuntu and Unity

I have not been to the dark side yet but will try Unity later this month.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's the same every time Irv....... buttons to the other side, software center etc etc

I was like you with unity. I still think they've rolled it out too quickly, but now I've got it set up I'm fine with it.

I've not seen too many brand new users complaining though.

Trouble is the people like you and me who try to help from time to time don't know what we're doing either

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    It's the same every time Irv....... buttons to the other side, software center etc etc
    Exactly. Same story every release. Give it a little while, it'll blow over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I tried to use it to see if I could get use to it (even though I didn't like it). There were way to many bugs in Unity, so I gave up and switched back to classic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I didn't like it at first...I know there are things I don't like about it...my wifi card did not work right out of the box, but after 4 days of trouble shooting I am up and running...
    It seems like you are pretty biased in favor of Ubuntu if you are unable to tolerate criticisms against it despite this experience. Ask yourself this: if a Windows upgrade gave you so many problems, would you be as forgiving about it?

Beans

I'm ditching to Linux Mint Debian Edition. The unity interface itself I could live with, *if* it was easily customizable. I dislike having to click on applications, selecting the catagory I want, then expanding the results, then finally choosing my application. Thats too many clicks for me. For programs I use all the time it's great, just put an icon right there but for those I don't use as often it's a real pain. I've looked around for ways of customizing the unity panels but as far as I can tell that ability either doesn't exist or has been disabled. Maybe I'll take another look at it in a year or two but the thing I have always liked most about linux is my ability to configure things the way I want and with that gone it's time for me to find another distro. Course with linux thats pretty easy to do though a little inconvenient.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You ever think to yourself that people are complaining because they legitimation do not like it? I do think that people should be more constructive with their criticism though.

I am glad that Ubuntu is trying to do something different as Gnome 2 is dead and they need to move on from it. That being said I have given Unity a fair chance and I just can't stand using it, and a lot of my friends are in the same boat as well. It is not that it is buggy or anything, I just do not like the design. I suppose I can see why some people might like it, but it is just not for me.

I have moved onto Xubuntu, and will most likely go back to Debian+Xfce once 4.8 makes it fully into their testing repos.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Got a complaint or suggestion?????

Go here:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu

Help make Ubuntu the best OS. If you just whine on the forums and do nothing about it then it's your own fault if 6 months down the line it sucks .
    Last edited by Johnsie; May 3rd, 2011 at 05:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Exactly. Same story every release. Give it a little while, it'll blow over.
    And when the dust settles, most would have moved on to a saner distro anyways, so the Unity lovers can cuddle and revel in the joy of using an "intuitive" interface.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast