Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many people badmouthing Ubuntu and Unity

Beans

Re: Too many people badmouthing Ubuntu and Unity

Upgrading to 11.10 left both of my computers unable to boot into a session. This has something to do with Unity. I re-installed and tried Unity. Nothing was easy, nothing was configurable, everything was baffling. The first program I added to the dock (Opera) didn't launch, though it worked fine from the command line. To me it is much easier to have a panel that lists my programs and configuration options. I've switched to Lubuntu and am very happy. It is fast, easy and simple to configure. I use Windows and Macs at work every day, and Linux at home. The Lubuntu interface is the best of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In my opinion there are not enough people moaning about it.
    'If "Too many people badmouthing Ubuntu and Unity" then perhaps there is good reason??

From the polls i saw the majority do not like it.
    I am seriously switching to LinuxMint as they seem to have a more responsible attitude towards the gnome 3 transition.
    Last edited by dgrafix; November 11th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
    linux might be a headache to set up sometimes, but at least when its set up, it stays set up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    One would think. The thing is though a lot of these people simply come on here, make one post (their anti-Unity rant) and never darken the doors again.
    It's with good reason. When you have a big audience, you have nay-sayers and nay-speakers. The latter explain their points more, but all are equally important.

Check out Apple computer. A lot of us choose not to use that for reasons like freedom, vendor-lock-in or others. But within their hipster community, cheers and praise are high. Some have good points, others just drool and roll around, but they are genuinely drooling with happiness over their overpriced product.

Now we have a lot of Ubuntu fans in this community, and they would also cheer everytime something good is decided within Ubuntu.

Do you remember the introduction of the Update Manager in 5.04? Remember the first LTS release? Remember the fun before automatic video card driver detection and installation? Introduction of Compiz Fusion in 7.10? Guest session in.. 8 or 9? The "One Hundred Paper Cuts" project?

These received lots of cheer, with good reason. Many users welcomed these innovations, others just liked it because it felt good. Like some distrohoppers or undecided Windows/Linux users enjoyed new versions more and more, not knowing that it was in fact Fusion or minor fixes from the Paper Cuts project that drew their appeal, if that is the correct English phrase.

It's like a test audience for a new movie. Most people will just say that they didn't like it but cannot explain why, others will say that the rhythm was off, shots were too tight or the action-intensity was too low.

Now when change is bad, bad chatter and publicity is critical to measure the success of change.

Just saying *boo!* is critical feedback. Canonical and the Ubuntu team do a lot of wonderful stuff, but are also known for their arrogance and inability to hear the criticism. So in my opinion too, there are not enough people bad-mouthing Ubuntu, because their eardrums have grown thin.

I myself switched to Xubuntu (the new Ubuntu) since Unity has been chosen as the flagship interface. I only kickstart the eyecandy (Gnome Shell ofcourse, Unity is flawed by design and concept (investing lots of resources to create a replacement 6 months earlier than when the industry standard will release a similar product based on research and discussion instead of pride and ignorance) imo) when guests are using my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrafix View Post
    I am seriously switching to LinuxMint as they seem to have a more responsible attitude period.
    ftfy

I really like how it's a community that listens more to each other. Using Mint on my laptop.
    Last edited by Redsandro; November 11th, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans
    Hidden!

I read a good article about all this:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/virtualiza...continues/4089

The truth is that lately I'm spending a lot of time to make Unity or newGnome acceptable and I failed so far. It's a sad story.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBoa View Post

The truth is that lately I'm spending a lot of time to make Unity or newGnome acceptable and I failed so far. It's a sad story.
    Anyway, I hate Unity. I can’t find anything without having to page through every application on my system and it just feels clunky. A desktop manager should do two things: Provide a graphical background on which to work with applications and be easy to use–transparent, in fact.
    Stupid article by someone who obviously doesn't spend the time to familiarize
    themselves with a new desktop be it unity gnome or windows.

Put frequently used apps on the launcher.

Press the super key to search less frequently used apps.
    You don't even need to know the name.Just something to do with the app.
    When you get used to it, I find it much quicker than mousing through a menu.

It's not designed for you to find apps by hitting super going to more apps
    and then revealing all your installed apps to browse through.
    In most cases entirely unnecessary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It's the same each and everytime there is a release - the assumption is that because lots complain then it must be everyone complaining - what you rarely hear about are the ones with no problems.

At the end of the day use what works for you.

I too am not that enamoured of unity nor gnome-shell - so I changed to something else - what I didn't find the need to do was go somewhere to groan about it.

What I would really like to know - and I'm sure I'm not the only one, is what these complainers actually do for ubuntu or are they just people who use something that they don't have to pay for and then make the assumption that they can then make other people create the option that THEY have some sort of attachment to.

Things change - get used to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBoa View Post

That is resolutely not a good article.

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    I too am not that enamoured of unity nor gnome-shell - so I changed to something else - what I didn't find the need to do was go somewhere to groan about it.
    This. I switched to another distro on the last release, not because I didn't like it, but because I couldn't run it. I'm pretty sure I didn't post up in the testimonials section with a histrionic rant about my departure. This is why I question the validity and honesty of a lot of the moaners. Anybody with an ounce of sense would just use something else.

But no.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

'If "Too many people badmouthing Ubuntu and Unity" then perhaps there is good reason??

I am seriously switching to LinuxMint as they seem to have a more responsible attitude towards the gnome 3 transition.

I agree.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I first started this thread (when 11.04 came out) I tried it and wasn't sure if I really liked it. I used it for awhile moved on and then came back. I used it again for awhile and then moved on again. Then 11.10 came out I installed it and broke it 5 times, and then move on to Kubuntu with KDE. I installed Unity in Kubuntu but some of the icons in the launch pad did not appear. I still used it but when back to KDE. (I also tried Mint).

I did not give up, I installed Ubuntu with Unity again but had problems with Network. (No network at all, wire or wireless). I had to reinstall 11.04 and upgrade to 11.10, had some error but got it installed and running.

As I write this I am back to using 11.10 and Unity and plan to do some beta testing on 12.04 next month. I am not giving up on it, because it will take some time to come to mutuality. Anything that is new must have time to grow into something good. I know there are things I didn't care for at first, but as I keep trying to use it I fine reasons for doing things this way, and am finding it easier as time go on. (In between all this I also tried Gnome 3.) (I feel it is new like Unity and need to have time also to get better.)

Right now I am using Ubuntu 11.10 and Kubuntu 11.10 and Mint 11, but I just downloaded Mint 12 64bit and plan on install it also.

The reason I started this thread was to show how so many are not really being patient enough with something this new. I do find bugs in Unity, but it is still new and will have them until things get worked out.

Come on people lets give the developers a break. After Unity has been around for awhile it will get better. My hope is that it will become more customizable so we can change things to suit us personally, and that it makes this process easier for new users.

If you are one that really really dose not like Unity, then use something else and see down the line if things get better. Then if you still don't like it, no problem just move on. My feelings, things will get better.
    Last edited by irv; November 11th, 2011 at 06:43 PM.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The polls only reflect a (very) small portion of the entire Ubuntu user base. The fact is that the people who dislike it are going to come on here, make a fool of themselves by blowing up at Unity, and then vote on every poll they can find. The people that who use it and like it are not likely to try no find this or any other forum. Obviously they wont be voting on any polls simply because they don't know they exist and don't have any reason to look for them. And how does one have a "responsible attitude" toward a DE transition?
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast