Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gapless playback seems to have gone away

Beans

Gapless playback seems to have gone away

I've discovered that flac files which played gaplessly in Rhythmbox on Maverick won't do so on Natty. There is now a dropout when transitioning from one to the next. Why might that be?

Beans

Re: Gapless playback seems to have gone away

I have the same problem here. Both Rhythmbox and Banshee refuses to give gapless playback even when enabling the crossfading feature in Rhythmbox. Worked fine in Maverick.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, me too. This certainly blows.

EDIT: I found this but report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...10/+bug/774417
    Last edited by powerpleb; May 8th, 2011 at 01:27 PM.

Beans

Is there any player for Natty where this currently works? I'd rather change media player than live without gapless playback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Somewhat tedious to install and configure, but mpd (music player daemon) combined with a frontend such as sonata was for a long time the only decent gapless playback solution in linux (so I am still using it). It is low on resources and handles large libraries extremely well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unfortunately for me mpd was no dice. Same problem. In fact, I can't remember ever getting gapless to work on Ubuntu in Rhythmbox or Banshee, though until Natty the last time I spent a lot of time with an Ubuntu distro was Karmic so maybe I missed the "window of perfection." I seem to recall gapless worked in Songbird, but of course they dropped Linux support so that's no longer an option.

I'm stuck using Wine to run Foobar2000, which is neither optimal nor likely to rub committed open source users the right way. Not a single player I've tried in 11.04 (Exaile, Rhythmbox, Banshee, mpd, Amarok) has had gapless working (actually I can't say whether Exaile worked because it crashed before I could get it to play anything; Aqualung was the same).

EDIT: Exaile doesn't crash anymore (they must have fixed that), but it has the same nasty gap as all the others. Aqualung actually played something this time (last time it sat silently then hung), but the gap was there, too. I think this has to be something with audio in general rather than a player-specific issue.
    Last edited by Squonk07; May 15th, 2011 at 07:36 AM.
    Drifting back and forth between Windows and Linux--I'm in it for the technology, not the philosophy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Squonk07 View Post
    Unfortunately for me mpd was no dice.
    It should work out of the box for audio formats that are natively gapless such as ogg and flac. For lame-encoded mp3 files, you need to "activate" the option "gapless_mp3_playback" in the mpd config file.

You probably are aware that before mp3s can be played back without gaps, they must be properly encoded with lame, and must be played with software that understands the specific lame tags allowing this.

Beans

native gapless playback has been something I've been looking for for years on linux and it has never worked properly.

After trying every single music player for linux, the only way I could manage to get REAL gapless playback, not only with FLAC but also with mp3, has been using wine+foobar2000. it works flawlessly, the only thing broken is the equalizer. everything else (including a lot of 3rd party components) work perfectly.

Beans

I managed to fix gapless in Rhythmbox on my system by simply increasing the network buffer slider under playback options!
    I have no idea how to fix it in Banshee though.

Beans

Also make sure the crossfade option is checked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast