Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 and Spotify : links not opening

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 and Spotify : links not opening

Quote Originally Posted by sprintexec View Post
    Hi,

Further to my earlier post I've just managed to get spotify installed and working at the first attempt. I've kept a copy of the terminal session just in case anyone wants to know what I did. Given your previous experiences this I hope is good news. Regards, AJ
    Hi,

Would love to see how you achieved this. I'm currently a bit stuck and it might be my lack of experience with Ubuntu that's the cause. Please can you summarise your steps....

I run the Spotify Linux preview, and was able to browse select music etc, and am not too worried about browser interaction. However, if I close the spotify window I have no way of getting it back, yet the music plays on.....

If I click on the speaker logo top right I can see the spotify player listed there, but no matter what I do I can't restore the spotify window.

Sorry if I'm being a dufus - just new to Ubuntu......

Hope someone can help.

Cheers,
    Jon

Beans

Hi,

Further to my earlier post I've just managed to get spotify installed and working at the first attempt. I've kept a copy of the terminal session just in case anyone wants to know what I did. Given your previous experiences this I hope is good news. Regards, AJ
    I am also new Ubuntu user and failed to install Spotify myself so I'd like to see what needs to be done to get it installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: sloopjonb & finhex
    Hi, I juts checked back in and saw your msgs. If either of you are still having probs let me know, willpost back. AJ

Beans

I haven't tried after my message so if you can send your installation "log", please.

Beans

It is gnome-open / xdg-open that is broken. Since chrome uses it to open links.

If you do
    Code:
    gconftool -g /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/spotify/command
    you get
    Code:
    /usr/bin/spotify -uri "%s"
    which is consistent with
    Code:
    gconftool -g /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command
    /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome %U
    which works, but spotify links doesn't.

Beans

Re: sloopjonb & finhex
    Hi, I juts checked back in and saw your msgs. If either of you are still having probs let me know, willpost back. AJ
    Hi,

I just retried and installation was now succesfully finished. I don't know what was problem previously...

Beans

I created a custom /usr/share/applications/spotify-url.desktop file with the -url command line and mime type added, as described in xdg-utils bug 788673:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Spotify
    GenericName=Spotify
    Comment=Listen to music using Spotify
    Icon=spotify-linux-512x512
    TryExec=spotify
    Exec=spotify -uri %u
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Qt;AudioVideo
    MimeType=x-scheme-handler/spotify
    NoDisplay=true
    After running sudo update-desktop-database, Spotify links work perfectly from Chromium.

The gconf keys make no difference whatsoever AFAIK.

I'm running spotify-client 0.4.9.302 under Ubuntu 11.04 Natty (0.5.1.151 did install but crashed at start).

Beans

I have a different problem with running the Linux client of Spotify under Ubuntu 11.04: although it works perfectly fine with a fresh install, it ceases to work after updating Ubuntu to the most recent version. After that, it keeps crashing at start-up.

At first I thought it might be a problem related to my computer, but I encountered the very same thing after updating another one, so it must have something with some update.

Curiously, the shortcut in the Unity left bar to Spotify also disappears after installing this Ubuntu update.

This is what happens now after I run the command "spotify" from the terminal:

Code:
    17:51:10.506 I [breakpad.cpp:35] Registered Breakpad for product: spotify

17:51:10.507 I [translate.cpp:117] Reloading all languages
    17:51:10.514 I [fsevents:403] starting polling thread
    17:51:10.557 I [breakpad.cpp:93] Searching for crashdumps: /home/vanderbent/.cache/spotify/*.dmp
    Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by maartenvdbent View Post
    I have a different problem with running the Linux client of Spotify under Ubuntu 11.04: although it works perfectly fine with a fresh install, it ceases to work after updating Ubuntu to the most recent version. After that, it keeps crashing at start-up.

At first I thought it might be a problem related to my computer, but I encountered the very same thing after updating another one, so it must have something with some update.

Curiously, the shortcut in the Unity left bar to Spotify also disappears after installing this Ubuntu update.

This is what happens now after I run the command "spotify" from the terminal:

Code:
    17:51:10.506 I [breakpad.cpp:35] Registered Breakpad for product: spotify

17:51:10.507 I [translate.cpp:117] Reloading all languages
    17:51:10.514 I [fsevents:403] starting polling thread
    17:51:10.557 I [breakpad.cpp:93] Searching for crashdumps: /home/vanderbent/.cache/spotify/*.dmp
    Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Trying remove these two folders:

1)
    Code:
    ~/.config/spotify
    2)
    Code:
    ~/.cache/spotify
    Spotify should start after that.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by fresta View Post
    I created a custom /usr/share/applications/spotify-url.desktop file with the -url command line and mime type added, as described in xdg-utils bug 788673:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Spotify
    GenericName=Spotify
    Comment=Listen to music using Spotify
    Icon=spotify-linux-512x512
    TryExec=spotify
    Exec=spotify -uri %u
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Qt;AudioVideo
    MimeType=x-scheme-handler/spotify
    NoDisplay=true
    After running sudo update-desktop-database, Spotify links work perfectly from Chromium.

The gconf keys make no difference whatsoever AFAIK.

I'm running spotify-client 0.4.9.302 under Ubuntu 11.04 Natty (0.5.1.151 did install but crashed at start).
    Awesome tip! Thanks for this. I didn't do anything other than add the new *.desktop file. It works on Kubuntu 11.04 running Spotify (0.5.2.84.g6d797eb9)
    Last edited by isaacj87; July 24th, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast