Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 and Spotify : links not opening

Beans

Angry Ubuntu 11.04 and Spotify : links not opening

Hello everyone,

I a heavy user of Spotify (available in Europe) and I use the native linux client.
    The native client comes with a spotify-gnome-support package that adds an entry under url-handlers to support the Spotify URI (spotify system-wide.

Under Ubuntu 10.10, I had absolutely no problem.

But after my upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04, the URI are not opening anymore. And on my other laptop where I did a fresh install of Natty, it doesn't work at well.

I did a manual entry to url-handlers to be sure that the system would recognize the Spotify URI prefix.
    I did :

Code:
    gconftool-2 -t string /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/spotify/command "spotify -uri %s"
    gconftool-2 -t bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/spotify/needs_temrinal false
    gconftool-2 -t bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/spotify/enabled true
    A %gconf.xml has been created under $HOME/.gconf/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/spotify/ showing :

HTML Code:
    <gconf>
    <entry name="enabled" mtime="1304411481" type="bool" value="true"/>
    <entry name="needs_terminal" mtime="1304411471" type="bool" value="false"/>
    <entry name="command" mtime="1304411440" type="string">
        <stringvalue>spotify -uri %s</stringvalue>
    </entry>
    </gconf>
    I also see the entry under gconf-editor.

I tried to logout/login, reboot but nothing works.

When I try xdg-open, I get :

Code:
    xdg-open spotify:track:2QO8cnnFW6khDuAuUAySeV
    Error showing url: The specified location is not supported.
    I really don't understand the behavior of the system and what I did wrong. I am afraid that expands my knowledge.

Can anyone help me on that ?

Thanks a lot !

--ant1
    Last edited by ant1fr; May 3rd, 2011 at 09:47 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 and Spotify : links not opening

FYI, when I try to open "spotify -uri spotify:track:2QO8cnnFW6khDuAuUAySeV", it works very well !

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm having the same issue with my custom url-handlers.

I've tried Everything, and can't find a single piece of advice on the internet, which tells me this IS related to 11.04.

Note that I'm talking about links in Google Chrome, Firefox on the other hand doesn't even check the url-handlers so I had to set them up manually using about:config > network.protocol-handler*

So they work in Firefox when added, but in no other browsers.

Google Chrome opens the links with xdg-open [url] as depicted in the attacheds screenshot, but this throws in error, found in .xsession-errors:
    Code:
    gvfs-open: svtrip://example.com/: error opening location: The specified location is not supported
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elundmark; May 4th, 2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

(bump) Please help us!
    xdg-open doesn't include ANY manual entries to gconf > Desktop > Gnome > url-handlers...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elundmark View Post
    I'm having the same issue with my custom url-handlers.

I've tried Everything, and can't find a single piece of advice on the internet, which tells me this IS related to 11.04.

Note that I'm talking about links in Google Chrome, Firefox on the other hand doesn't even check the url-handlers so I had to set them up manually using about:config > network.protocol-handler*

So they work in Firefox when added, but in no other browsers.

Google Chrome opens the links with xdg-open [url] as depicted in the attacheds screenshot, but this throws in error, found in .xsession-errors:
    Code:
    gvfs-open: svtrip://example.com/: error opening location: The specified location is not supported
    I do agree. This URL are well handled natively by Firefox. However Firefox do not rely on the legacy URL handler like Chrome does. And I am not ready to switch back to Firefox now that I am a heavy user of Chrome.

I assume that this issue is a bug related to Ubuntu 11.04. Let's hope that this one will soon be fixed in an update !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ant1fr View Post
    I assume that this issue is a bug related to Ubuntu 11.04. Let's hope that this one will soon be fixed in an update !
    "Glad" to hear we're not alone Means it's all the more likely it's a bug.

I'd sure file a bug report, if I only knew what was wrong. I mean it could be xdg-utils, gconftool-2 ( which I'm having trouble with today, I tried deleting all the manual entries to start over, but it won't repond to any delete (unset) commands ) or it might be some other service that's ment to translate the information to xdg-utils...

Beans

Have you reported the bug to the Spotify crew?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Waklevören View Post
    Have you reported the bug to the Spotify crew?
    The bug is not related to Spotify nor Chrome but to Ubuntu. My Spotify issue is just a symptom of what I believe is a bug on Ubuntu 11.04.

And by the way I want to say about Ubuntu 11.04 that I really hate Unity and I consider that version as a real regression compared to the previous ones!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi, I just read your post as I plan to install spotify on my clean install of 11.04. Having previously had spotify working with 10.04 and 10.10 what you have to say makes me a little nervous that it won't work under 11.04. Anyhow until I try we won't know. I'll post back here later when I've had a go. Thanks again for your post(s), AJ.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

Further to my earlier post I've just managed to get spotify installed and working at the first attempt. I've kept a copy of the terminal session just in case anyone wants to know what I did. Given your previous experiences this I hope is good news. Regards, AJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast