Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 is the vista of Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: 11.04 is the vista of Ubuntu...

I use Xubuntu 11.04, no problems whatsoever!
    Microsoft:"Why do you not use Windows?" Me: "Did you have to ask?"
    Enigmagroup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kn0w-b1nary View Post
    I use Xubuntu 11.04, no problems whatsoever!
    Probably because xfce has more features than unity.
    ~

Beans

The old netbook remix is tolerable.. with a dock. If you remove all the favorites to the dock and delete all the favorites panel icons, you have a clean desktop. No one will ever confuse the ribbon on the left-hand side for a Unity launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool Re: 11.04 is the vista of Ubuntu...

similar thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1702627
    well first my problem with 11.04 wasn't the interface , but the bugs and crashes
    then I tried Fedora 15 with Gnome 3 also , I didn't like it
    now i just finished installing 10.04 still I have to get all my software up and running again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kvdbreem View Post
    This release was absolutely horrible. Thanks Ubuntu for forcing me now to have to spend another few hours downgrading to 10_04 LTS. This is the second time compiz and unity have clashed and broken my desktop manager and I'm not prepared to try to learn KDE. I have work to do.

So, with regrets, I think I'm going to have to downgrade to Ubuntu 10_04 and wait out the storm. Hopfefully Ubuntu will come to their senses and start releasing versions that use a practical and usable desktop manager like Gnome or KDE, rather than some scaled down and useless UI like Unity.
    Heh. You sound like me right after 8.10 came out. Broke everything, left right and center. I was filing bug reports like handing out candy to the kids at a memorial day parade. After a few weeks, workarounds and fixes started appearing, and life got better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am looking at Unity from the perspective of an IT project concerned with widening access to IT

We have been experimenting with 11.04 for time now. We have upgraded about 30 PCs and Laptops to date with no more problems than any other upgrade.

Last week we introduced Unity to a group of new users of IT all of whom were at least in their 70s. They have also tried out another well known OS with a 7 in its name.

The consensus was the 11.04 was intuitive and made sense. It was easy to figure out what to do next and we noticed how quickly people were learning.

We also put 2 units in our youth club and interestingly the only comment we got was 'huh this is new'.

I must admit it has been a steep learning curve to break away from Gnome but I think it has been worth it - I am sure this approach will be supportive both for users and trainers

In about 4 weeks time we are planning to introduce Unity to our recycling programme as our default OS

In our terms Unity will help us to widen access to IT

Beans

Wireless card kernel panic and desktop lockup. Upgrading the kernel fixed the issue. I don't think a kernel update is absolutely necessary but when you need it, you no longer have to take a blowtorch to the computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I actually didn't have a problem with the performance of Unity. However, I tried it for a while... and it's very difficult for me to like. It's not as intuitive as I'd hoped. No... scratch that... it's not intuitive at all.

I hope this isn't Ubuntu's fault, but I've also come across a MASSIVE ISSUE. Every so often Ubuntu will randomly lock up for no apparent reason. The mouse works but I can't click anything and the keyboard can't do anything except switch to a console. I've Googled it and this bug does affect other people as well.

The good news is that this problem is not apparent on Kubuntu.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

well.. i have my own pros and cons about this..
    when i was using 10.10 i could not play cs1.6 off steam through winehq
    now i cam play that but with some video bugs oh and also i am getting an error "This driver is enabled but currently not in use" so this is not really perfect release.. i think i will have to wait for 11.10.. but this is really buggy.. my video driver is not getting used..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast