Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Canon PIXMA MX700 printer install

Beans

Easy Canon PIXMA MX700 printer install

Hello,

I made an easy install script for the Canon PIXMA MX700 printer. This should work on 64-bit (x64) and i386. Most of the credit goes to Menthu_Rae from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1273363, I just automated it.

Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3925366/mx700.zip

Hope this helps someone, and feel free to ask any questions if you encounter any problems!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Easy Canon PIXMA MX700 printer install

Will your *.zip file work with/in Ubuntu 10.04 i386?
    Thanks.
    The Truly Educated Never Graduate!
    One Desktop & Two Dell 1525n Laptops - Multi-boot Xubuntu 11.11 & others.
    Don't Fear the Penguin!
    Registered Linux User #507530 & Ubuntu User # 30733

Beans

Yes, it should. It uses i386 packages, in fact, but works on x64 as well because the architecture check is removed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks!
    I hope to run it next week on my Sister-in-Law's PC.
    The Truly Educated Never Graduate!
    One Desktop & Two Dell 1525n Laptops - Multi-boot Xubuntu 11.11 & others.
    Don't Fear the Penguin!
    Registered Linux User #507530 & Ubuntu User # 30733

Beans

Hi new to this forum, not new to Ubuntu but I am not a programmer and do use both WinXP and Ubuntu (native and virtually via Virtualbox)....

Firstly many thanks for the script, made life so much easier.

The script works fantastically on my home laptop (which is on 10.10), the only problem I've found is that I had issues with 11.04 (broadcom wireless) so stayed with 10.10 on this.

I have a desktop machine that currently is running 10.04 LTS, again the script worked fantastically on this - I tried 11.04 and all was fine except I hit a problem with the script.

I installed it and all appeared fine however for some reason it always tried to print from the rear tray regardless of the settings for the tray/paper.

Has anyone else hit this problem or can anyone provide any suggestions on how to resolve it as I would like to move the latest release if possible.

Beans

Sorry, I don't have this problem on Ubuntu 11.04.

Does this problem occur on all applications?

Beans

tbh, didn't test with multiple apps, just did the test page at the end of installation.

Hit a problem now where I've updated 10.04 with security patches etc (via update manager) and now my scanning has stopped, as it can't be found by sane/xsane - so thinking of trying again with 11.04 and seeing how it goes.

Not sure if there are other ways of 'reloading' the scanning properties - i tried reinstalling the drivers by your install.sh script but it didn't help - assuming it's something more underlying.

Beans

ok, now have more info...

I have updated to 11.04 (10.04 LTS goes to 10.10 on initial upgrade then to 11.04). Now I tried to print/scan - here's what I got.

XSane shows, "no devices available" still.

if I print a test page, it always comes out of the rear tray regardless of the setting in the printer options tab but prints correctly.

If I try to print from LibreOffice, I can select the tray but either way the print job goes into the queue and I can see it go to Processing but when looking on the printer properties, the status goes from 'Idle - Ready to print' to 'Processing - Failed to read side-channel request!', then back to 'Idle - Ready to print'.
    At the same time the job enters the print queue, shows as Processing then just disappears.

During this time the printer doesn't change, that is, no aligning, movement or sound from the printer.

I don't know if this matters at all, it's connected via ethernet, now on 11.04 (32 bit).

It almost feels like a permissions thing, otherwise I wouldn't be able to print a test page albeit only off the rear tray.

Using Eye of GNOME 2.32.1, also doesn't print. I did a Diagnose but it doesn't make sense to me . The system didn't find anything automatically either.

Any ideas/pointers??

Cheers

Beans

Hmmm, it may indeed be a permissions issue.

Try entering these commands (they were in the bash file, but try them anyways):

sudo chown -hR root /usr/lib/cups/filter
    sudo chown -hR root /usr/lib/cups/backend
    sudo chgrp -hR root /usr/lib/cups/filter
    sudo chgrp -hR root /usr/lib/cups/backend

Beans

ok, getting further - i think!
    as well as the cmds you gave me I did;
    sudo ldconfig -v followed by
    sudo service cups restart

These were from a different thread relating to the printer error. Not really sure what the ldconfig does but it seemed to relink some config files to versions, by the looks of the response.

After also doing your cmds, now I no longer get the processing - 'Processing - Failed to read side-channel request!' error. Now the printer status stays in Idle Ready to Print, then says there was a error processing and the state changes to Stopped.
    Test Page still OK though.

Sorry didn't make a note of the file ownership before typing your commands in, but now are;
    ghl:/usr/lib/cups$ ls -la
    total 120
    drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 2011-02-11 13:10 .
    drwxr-xr-x 248 root root 81920 2011-07-16 17:24 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-16 16:31 backend
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-16 15:23 backend-available
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-16 15:23 cgi-bin
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-16 15:23 daemon
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-16 15:38 driver
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-16 16:31 filter
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-16 15:23 monitor
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-07-16 15:23 notifier

I must admit, I've been trying to switch over to Linux since about Ubuntu 8.04 but the printing/scanning and also previously Skype were the things that got in my way (as I used to have a box that routed skype from the pc through to my landline phone). I have now got one of them dualphone things for skype and thought I'd got the printing/scanning sorted with your script. Looks like a mixture of buying a printer designed for windows and no support in drivers from Canon still gives me grief.

Thanks for your ideas up till now. Any further suggestions/ideas greatly received

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast