Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Gnome and Ubuntu arguing?

Beans

Are Gnome and Ubuntu arguing?

Is this true: http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2011/03...ssons-learned/ ?

I can't believe people located in the physical world are mistrusting each other over "virtual desktop environments". As a person who is more like your average PC user, all I can say is: What. The. Hell.

Beans

Re: Are Gnome and Ubuntu arguing?

Money is not the only medium of exchange.

Ego is a vital component of open source economics.

edit:

and i do not mean that in a negative way, just as an acknowledgement of what we must consider when we observe this stuff from the outside -- just because some people are 'volunteers' does not mean they aren't acting out of rational self interest. They absolutely are acting out of self interest and a desire to be compensated.

That compensation can be 'thank you' emails, acknowledgement on a mailing list, or it can be a sense of self-fulfillment, but self interest is still at play regardless.

If one feels that he or she is being denied just compensation, it is possible one will get upset and emotional - and possibly do other things to get that due compensation.

edit2:

another component of transparent product development is that sensationalist commentators see most/all of the dirty laundry. to put it in perspective: if this is as bad as it gets in the production of the great software we use, lets call ourselves lucky and be grateful. no cancer clusters, for example, that come out of producing industrial chemicals.
    Last edited by earthpigg; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:01 AM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I read everything, and i dont care, Ubuntu and Canonical implementation of LibAppindicator rules.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    just because some people are 'volunteers' does not mean they aren't acting out of rational self interest. They absolutely are acting out of self interest and a desire to be compensated.

That compensation can be 'thank you' emails, acknowledgement on a mailing list, or it can be a sense of self-fulfillment, but self interest is still at play regardless.
    Well, look who's been catching up on his Cathedral and Bazaar...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I read it and from what I got was Canonical was bringing over the most users with Ubuntu, the GNOME team complained that Canonical didn't contribute code, Canonical gives them code, GNOME team rejects it, so Canonical is like "whatever guys" and goes off and does their own thing with Unity which is getting positive reactions for the most part (some people don't like change which is understandable).

I've seen Unity more in the spotlight than Gnome-Shell/Gnome3/whatever it's called.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Until LibAppIndicator, the notificationtray area was separatedly proyects saying "my indicator works, period",
    when LibAppIndicator implemented it try to make not only work, but integrate, stay ordered, simplify, etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    and goes off and does their own thing with Unity which is getting positive reactions for the most part

Hahahaha.

You must be surfing a different internet than everyone else.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aguafina View Post
    Hahahaha.

You must be surfing a different internet than everyone else.
    I was under the impression that the internet was a network and not separated into areas.

I'm not going by the forums, I'm going by review sites that having been giving it some decent reviews. It's not the best, but it's a step in the right direction.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    ...Ego is a vital component of open source economics.

...just because some people are 'volunteers' does not mean they aren't acting out of rational self interest. They absolutely are acting out of self interest and a desire to be compensated.

...another component of transparent product development is that sensationalist commentators see most/all of the dirty laundry. to put it in perspective: if this is as bad as it gets in the production of the great software we use, lets call ourselves lucky and be grateful. no cancer clusters, for example, that come out of producing industrial chemicals.
    I see Shuttleworth as more of a person who likes to have an influence (control) than someone with a big ego, so imagine it must perhaps be frustrating to feel ignored by people who do seem to have big egos.

Either way, it's a sorry state when people can't even compliment each other's work and ideas because their big prides and grand idealisations get in the way.

The worst thing would be that such disagreements have a negative impact on the end user, by reducing choice, customisability and retarding desktop environment development progress. Two minds are better than one.

I have both noticed that it is difficult to install Gnome 3 under Ubuntu 11.04, and at the same time that Unity is not customisable in a user friendly way.

I read somewhere that Shuttleworth refused an end user request to allow the end user to place the left app menu wherever they like because he wanted it to remain under the Ubuntu logo. In my mind, it's wrong to tell the end user how they must use their computer. Clearly you can't believe everything you read in the media, but if it turns out that this is true, I will bin Unity in a heart beat. I didn't abandon an O$ to go to an O. I'll decide how I want my desktop to look, thanks
    Last edited by r123; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by r123 View Post
    I see Shuttleworth as more of a person who likes to have an influence (control) than someone with a big ego, so imagine it must perhaps be frustrating to feel ignored by people who do seem to have big egos.

Either way, it's a sorry state when people can't even compliment each other's work and ideas because their big prides and grand idealisations get in the way.

The worst thing would be that such disagreements have a negative impact on the end user, by reducing choice, customisability and retarding desktop environment development progress. Two minds are better than one.

I have both noticed that it is difficult to install Gnome 3 under Ubuntu 11.04, and at the same time that Unity is not customisable in a user friendly way.

I read somewhere that Shuttleworth refused an end user request to allow the end user to place the left app menu wherever they like because he wanted it to remain under the Ubuntu logo. In my mind, it's wrong to tell the end user how they must use their computer. Clearly you can't believe everything you read in the media, but if it turns out that this is true, I will bin Unity in a heart beat. I didn't abandon an O$ to go to an O
    You should refrain from using derogatory symbols in your writing. It's annoying to read, and it makes your arguments look weak through a lack of maturity. It's like when people use "M$" to represent "Microsoft". They probably think "hurr durr I'm so clever replacing the S with a dollar sign because Microsoft is a corporation that only wants money", but when I read it my thought is "Oh another "M$". Nope. We'll just skip that post".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast