Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz Animation Effects don't work in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty

Beans

Unhappy Compiz Animation Effects don't work in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty

Hi everyone!
    I had recently upgraded my OS to Ubuntu 11.04.
    My CCSM effects work fine when using the 10.10 version but for some effects in 11.04, they no longer work.

I want to configure my animations (i.e. open, close and minimize) to effects like BURN, dream and the like, but they don't work.

I really want the burn effect.

Btw, paint fire on screen, wobbly windows, and water effects WORK in my laptop. It's just that the animations esp. BURN don't.

Your help is highly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Beans

Re: Compiz Animation Effects don't work in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty

Hi,

I'm also experiencing a problem with the animations on compiz. My windows no longer roll up when I roll my mouse wheel like they used to in 10.10. I have enabled the shade and disabled options in animation section but nothing happens.
    Was this feature disabled or is it a bug?
    By the way I'm using 64 bit 11.04 and the radeon driver for my ati graphics card.
    Last edited by ububopp; May 3rd, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Just installed compiz-fusion-plugins-extra package and tested all the animations like explode, burn, airplane, beam etc and all of those worked without even a glitch. I am using ATI Radeon X200 (an older card) with the open source Radeon drivers.

So which graphics card is there and which version of drivers is installed? What happens when you enable those effects? Unity crashes, compiz crashes or nothing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    Just installed compiz-fusion-plugins-extra package and tested all the animations like explode, burn, airplane, beam etc and all of those worked without even a glitch. I am using ATI Radeon X200 (an older card) with the open source Radeon drivers.

So which graphics card is there and which version of drivers is installed? What happens when you enable those effects? Unity crashes, compiz crashes or nothing?
    The animations aren't working for me with Natty with unity desktop. Using fglrx with hd3400.

Edit. Now working. Not sure what was wrong
    Last edited by alphacrucis2; May 4th, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Beans

My animations work but I was having a problem with the roll up option for shading not working with the mouse scroll. I got it fixed using ubuntu tweak. really cool app. Just to clarify I'm using the radeon driver on a hd4200 on a G61-511wm hp laptop.
    Finally 11.04 is working the way I want it to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

From all the problems I personally had with Compiz and Unity I simply stayed away from it. It might have been updated so, I'll go play around with it when I get back onto my Ubuntu machine. If it doesn't work I'll download the compiz-fusion-plugins-extra package.

Beans

I have an integrated graphics card on my laptop Intel GM965/GL960. That never stopped me from having the 3d graphics enabled and having the "wobbly window" and other compiz effects under 10.10.

Now under Unity I've tried enabling them but it seems you require to enable some graphic drivers in the proprietary drivers menu. The funny thing is none are detected and therefore I just can't run compiz?!

Surely Unity is aiming to be idiot proof, but honestly, it seems to complicate things more!

ps, I also tried the Ubuntu Classic session with gnome shell but I still can't run the 3d effects. Makes me wonder this is 11.04 and not necessarily Unity?
    Last edited by jonesints; May 5th, 2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: forgot to add...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jonesints View Post
    I have an integrated graphics card on my laptop Intel GM965/GL960. That never stopped me from having the 3d graphics enabled and having the "wobbly window" and other compiz effects under 10.10.

Now under Unity I've tried enabling them but it seems you require to enable some graphic drivers in the proprietary drivers menu. The funny thing is none are detected and therefore I just can't run compiz?!

Surely Unity is aiming to be idiot proof, but honestly, it seems to complicate things more!

ps, I also tried the Ubuntu Classic session with gnome shell but I still can't run the 3d effects. Makes me wonder this is 11.04 and not necessarily Unity?
    Yeah, I tried the cube again to no avail. Seems futile. Oh well. I like the basic-"ness" of it for now.

Beans

Success!

OK, I just had to do everything manually but it worked.

I made sure compiz was installed and running. the compiz --replace command can replace the window manager otherwise the Compiz Fusion Icon application can replace metacity.

Then installed missing packages, including CompizConfig Settings Manager

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

and whatever extra plugins the same way.

Then just went to System Settings and had to enable the different effects manually. It may ask you to disable certain ones due to conflict.

Note: the cube still didn't work it just messed things up big time. Bug??
    Managed to fix things by going to Preferences in CompizConfig Settings and reset compiz settings to default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jonesints View Post
    Note: the cube still didn't work it just messed things up big time. Bug??
    Managed to fix things by going to Preferences in CompizConfig Settings and reset compiz settings to default.
    I hope this would help.

http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com...ty-ubuntu.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast