Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 Evolution IMAP Connection Error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 11.04 Evolution IMAP Connection Error

Quote Originally Posted by Jonners59 View Post
    Have you got the same problem? It certanly seems common when I search the web, though my thread seems to be the only one specific to this level of detail - Contacts and Calendar.
    IMAP has absolutely nothing to do with Evolution Contacts and Calendar, it is only e-mail messages.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've also searched a little bit.

In wireshark there are no packets going out of the system. Not even a dns lookup for the right ip-address, thats strange. A telnet to port 25, 110 or 143 is connecting fine. With all the packets shown in wireshark.

I purged the evolution installation, removed manually all the config files I could find (or better said "find" could find).

I installed evolution from the packetsystem new, and still it is not going.

I installed thunderbird:
    In the configuration process, it tests the connection and recommends the right settings (imap with tls and password authentication), and packets are shown in wireshark (pop, imap and smtp connects).
    After the configuration is finished, thunderbird shows the same miserable behavior as evolution. No packets and no reachable mailaccount.

To do a new install is simply not an option, there is to much configutation-time inside this computer already.

I am not amused.

Beans
    Distro

The problem is solved for me.

There was a systemwide socks-proxy configured, but no be me! (System -> Preferences -> Network Proxy-> socks: localhost:9050)
    That explaines why no tcp packets were shown.

And because there is no socks-proxy running on my maschine, it could not connect.
    Now every thing works fine with evolution and thunderbird again.

Maybe this helps others.

I'm still not amused but some what delighted.
    Last edited by XPectIT; May 14th, 2011 at 08:06 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    IMAP has absolutely nothing to do with Evolution Contacts and Calendar, it is only e-mail messages.
    Maybe, but suggestions have been coming in to use IMAp to resolve, however I have been using it all along.

I have now had it confirmed that this is a bug and was known about to some extent before release. The bug is in "the system" for high priority fix.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry duplicate post
    Last edited by sakthi; May 19th, 2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Sorry duplicate post

Beans
    Distro

Any update on this problem? I am still having the same problem. Now not able to receive and send mails. Evolution in the previous version of Ubuntu are still working perfectly though....

Beans

I'll add a me too on this.

Evolution connecting via IMAP to an Exchange 2003 server.

Beans

I think you need to go into the bug reporting and add your me too to the outstanding bugs. This makes the guys aware that it is not a one off and the volume of users it is affecting.

This is a similar bug, there is one specifically for the IMAP/Exchange issue if I recall.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/755043

Beans
    Distro

I can confirm this bug on 3 Ubuntu Natty systems, two amd64 and one ppc. Evolution configured with same additional packages on each system. All connections to the Exchange 2007 IMAP server fails with "LOGIN failed", and refreshing folders results in the same errors described above. Tested same configuration using Thunderbird on these systems, and it fails with similar issues. I am able to ping the server, and telnet into it on port 993. I couldn't get an echo at the terminal through telnet, but my next steps will be to perform a manual session with directly with the server.

Interestingly, a fresh install of Natty today onto a virtual machine, with stock evolution configuration, can connect just fine. My guess is that there is some change to either i) SSL or ii) IMAP support resulting from another package installation that is interfering with proper communication. Any guesses as to what this could be? Empathy? I do not have any known proxy servers configured on my machine, and a check in the network proxy settings show a "Direct Connection" configuration.

I'll report back here.

Beans
    Distro

I've now completely removed evolution, empathy, thunderbird, and have deleted the directories for each, following http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=159407 for evolution. I'll test telnet and add packages one by one from here.
    Last edited by bjordan555; June 27th, 2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Pressed save too early.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast