Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can Python do everything ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can Python do everything ?

Yeah, but as far as complexity goes, "P = NP" is the only one (the Halting problem is a question of complexity, hence they are somewhat related).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Can Python do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by ajackson View Post
    That is one of the most mucked up pieces of logic I've ever heard. If something is impossible it is impossible. If, and a big if, a solution is found who is to say that Python wouldn't be able to do it, or do it better/worse than language X (and vice versa).
    A solution won't be found for any problem proved to be undecidable, by definition. So your hypothetical regarding whether Python would be able to decide the problem better or worse than any other Turing complete language is irrelevant.

As to your other post where you state Python can't do anything, care to explain how there are Python programs out there that DO stuff and can in fact be proven to do stuff?
    Possibly I was being unclear. Yes, Python can do things (namely decide decidable problems), but it cannot do everything (namely it cannot decide undecidable problems). So the question "can Python do anything?" can be answered with "no, Python cannot do anything".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Can Python do everything ?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.ball View Post
    Yeah, but as far as complexity goes, "P = NP" is the only one (the Halting problem is a question of complexity, hence they are somewhat related).
    I think you meant to say that the halting problem is a computability problem.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can Python do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by NovaAesa View Post
    A solution won't be found for any problem proved to be undecidable, by definition. So your hypothetical regarding whether Python would be able to decide the problem better or worse than any other Turing complete language is irrelevant.
    Isn't that what you were saying and what ajackson is pointing out? You were claiming there was something special about Python that made it in particular impossible. But the impossibility holds for any language, not just Python, because it's impossible for any Turing complete language.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaAesa View Post
    Correct, and in particular it's impossible in Python.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234