Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

And same problem here

Hopefully it is fixed very very soon.
    Last edited by WG-; May 2nd, 2011 at 10:22 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Gnome Shell "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEautho

Same here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Serry911 View Post
    well i only have ubuntu on my laptop and iam not that expert and i tried yestreday to install lxde but it didnt install because of no internet connection i think, iam downloading 11.04 livecd now and all my data (100GB) are in the home folder as i dont have other partitions can u tell me how to remove gnome3 and get back to unity or actually re-installing 11.04 without loosing data?
    Thank you very much
    You are given the opportunity to use safe mode with internet access. If you are experiencing problem with the wireless, then the most easy solution is to use wire to install lxde. You can do the rest of the things wirelessly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Serry911 View Post
    can u tell me how to remove gnome3 and get back to unity or actually re-installing 11.04 without loosing data?
    Thank you very much
    I reinstall my OS quite often. The trick is, don't let the installer format the partition.

NOTE: This is assuming that you used the default, guided partitioning method.

Boot up the live CD and enter the installer.
    When you get to the "Allocate Drive Space" Section of the installer, chose "Something Else" (what a descriptive name.) This will take you into the manual partition editor.
    Find your Ubuntu partition on the list, right-click on it and say "Change."
    In the resulting window, change the "Use as:" section to "Ext4 jouraling file system"
    Then set the "Mount point" to "/"
    Click OK, and AFTER you get back to the main partitioning window make sure that the "Format?" section is UNchecked. If you used a file system other than Ext4 in the original installation, it will force a format because it has to change the file system.
    If the partition is not marked for formating, go ahead and finish the installation making sure to use the exact same name, user-name and password as you did in the original installation. If you don't, it can mess things up.
    That's all! You will have to reinstall any programs you had before, but all your files and program settings will still be there.

ANOTHER NOTE: If you are using this method to install a DIFFERENT version of Ubuntu than the one you're starting with, it may be a good idea to delete the hidden files containing program settings in your home folder to prevent problems with different program versions.

By the way, I'm having the same problem with the /ICEauthority file. I haven't tried all the posted fixes yet, but I'll write back if something works.
    Last edited by Tropcon; May 3rd, 2011 at 01:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Follow the upgrade instructions from here;

http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/install

There's no need for lxde or gnome-session as /.ICEauthority wont be broken.

Beans
    Distro

A strange thing just happned. I installed LXDE, logged into Gnome 3 (and it worked) then uninstalled LXDE using:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove lxde
    After rebooting, Gnome 3 still works.
    The only other thing I did was make a backup copy of the ICEauthority file.
    Is it still working because I used autoremove instead of plain remove?
    Last edited by Tropcon; May 3rd, 2011 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post
    Follow the upgrade instructions from here;

http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/install

There's no need for lxde or gnome-session as /.ICEauthority wont be broken.
    Thanks. All I need was a fresh ubuntu installation. Now I got Gnome3 up and running. Have fun folk.

Beans
    Distro

Press CTRL + Alt + F1 to switch to the first console and type the commands there.

According to this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742343 you should try this command to get rid of .ICEauthority error:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session
    But if that doesn't work try to, as said, install LXDE and then boot into it. After that you should be able to boot Gnome Shell. I had to add the command "gnome-shell --replace" to autostart because it didn't start at login (I did it through LXDE because I couldn't do much in Gnome at that point). If everything works then, you can uninstall lxde with the command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove lxde
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Grozzy; May 3rd, 2011 at 10:02 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmilo View Post
    Techgs,
    Thank you for this solution. I like the lighter desktop better anyway and now I don't have to rush to solve the continuing gdm issue.
    I have no idea why this works but it did! Now I have Gnome 3 on Natty and a fall back desk mgr just in case. Pretty sweet!

Beans

Hi folks

this tips may help you to fix the ICEauthority problem

http://linuxfloat.org/gnome3-could-n...ericeauthority

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast