Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: isight on macbook 2.1 with ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Question isight on macbook 2.1 with ubuntu 11.04

Hi there,

I have tried all sorts of things that i have read on ubuntu help forums... but i just can't get it to work!
    I have downloaded the 'appleusbvideosupport' firmware and have tried to get it to happen through terminal with the commands sudo apt-get install isight-firmware-tools etc.... but it just can't source the 'apple drive' ?? i don't know enough about all this can anyone give me a tip on what to do or what software i can install to get it working? I can't seem to be able to open the appleusbvideosupport file at all, i tried saving it outside of 'downloads'folder or opening it but i can't choose an application and i am very confused...

so anyway, help needed!!

Thanks anyone

Beans

Re: isight on macbook 2.1 with ubuntu 11.04

oh and it's running on ubuntu only.... no os x.....

Beans

The message I get on terminal is

Apple Driver File not found. the apple driver you specified does not exist. The firmware extraction has been aborted.

Beans

Hi! I have exactly the same problem:

- Ubuntu 11.04
    - MacBook 2,1
    - 64bit version

What I tried to do is to use the newer isight-firware-tools
    You can find it hiere: https://launchpad.net/isight-firmware-tools/main/1.6
    --> best use the beta4, if that not works, try to compile by yourself

-> Now my webcam is recognized by Cheese and Skype but the video is still black But maybe your lucky!

If you find a solution to realy get it running, let me now! I will tell you, if I get it running!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Try using VLC to test the camera as explained in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam. I performed the setup found at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1609402 (except change maverick to natty) on my Macbook 2,1 and Cheese shows a black screen while VLC shows the camera working properly. I haven't found a solution yet.

You can test your camera after installing vlc by entering the following in Terminal:
    vlc v4l2:///dev/video0

EDIT: I fixed it. Sort of.
    In Cheese I get three resolution options in Edit -> Preferences: 640x480, 352x288, & 320x240. I changed it from 640x480 to something else, and it worked. Then I changed it back to 640x480, and it still worked. WTF?

If it means anything, I installed from the amd64+mac desktop CD.
    Last edited by mredding; May 2nd, 2011 at 06:30 PM.

Beans

Hi mredding!

Exactly same effect here! In VLC i have Video, and your strange cheese behaviour I can also reproduce....

I think I will have a look if there is already a thread on launchpad. Otherwise I will open one.... That problem has to be solved...

Thanks!

Beans

Hmmm.... now I am able to run Skype with working video by entering the following in Terminal:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just chiming in: I have a macbook 4.1, running natty, same behavior with cheese.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin 1775
    Michigan LoCo Team: #ubuntu-michigan on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michi21609 View Post
    Hmmm.... now I am able to run Skype with working video by entering the following in Terminal:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype

Hi guys. I'm new to linux/ubuntu as well. Black macbook 4,1 , 2.4ghzC2D. Running 64bit 11.04 natty.
    I agree with the above issues. I installed newest isight update pack using the firmware file extracted from osx tiger disc.

Still have the issues above. ISight works in vlc using terminal code above.. works in cheese after the size resets.. works in guvcview as well... works in skype as listed above with LD_PRELOAD command ..

But...
    ISight doesnt work in skype when skype is loaded normally.. just get black screen.. also using MulitmediaSystemSelector doesnt give me an image.
    Does anyone have knowledge of a fix?
    Is there some way to enable automatic image adjustments? I'm wondering if its just not adapting the image to lighting or something? None of the programs that so an image seem to auto adjust the the image (like auto contrast or colouring changes.)

Fingers are crossed that help is out there to get this functioning as well as it does in Snow Leopard with Skype.

Dave

Beans

I'll chime in here and say that I have the same problem and same strange behavior as all of the other posts. I'm using a MacBook 1,1. Hopefully if anything has been discovered someone can put a link here for everyone who finds this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast