Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove apps available for download from Unity ?

Beans

How to remove apps available for download from Unity ?

Does anyone know how to remove this from Unity ?

It really is quite annoying.......... if I want suggestions I can go to Software Centre or Amazon.com

Thanks
    Last edited by moiecoute; May 1st, 2011 at 12:18 AM.

Beans

Re: How to remove apps available for download from Unity ?

Genious whoever put that feature there.

I am seeing an app now called kiki in the Apps available page.

Kiki in Filipino means vagina.

My kids are half Filipino and find this hillarious. I'm sure Ubuntu will make great inroads into Catholic Philippines suggesting software like this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is that the reason you want to remove it? lol

You do realise theres no 'dodgy' software/games in the software centre and that is just a coincidence? Some random name that someone probably made up for a game/program that meant nothing to them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ken UK View Post

You do realise theres no 'dodgy' software/games in the software centre and that is just a coincidence? Some random name that someone probably made up for a game/program that meant nothing to them.
    Ken I personally find it annoying. You get enough adverts through the browser. It is duplicating the functions of Software Centre at a time when you just want to launch a program and just wastes real estate on the page.

As for the 'kiki' I use that as very opportunistic example. I am sure it is a fine program whatever it is but can you imagine a Christian, Muslim or other school in the Philippines or for the Filipinos elsewhere in the world opening and seeing it. As a parent would you want your kids seeing that software (the name) ?

Given that Canonical implemented that feature it is responsible for what gets suggested. They should filter out an offensive word what next? Anyway that is Canonicals liability (advertising apps with genital names) .......... I just want to get rid of the damn feature.

Last edited by moiecoute; May 1st, 2011 at 01:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ken UK View Post

Well, that doesn't really answer the question. What if it wasn't coincidence? Just because it doesn't constrain you, doesn't mean that does not constrain someone else.

What if there was a software called "p**sy" that puts a cat walking through your desktop, and your kids saw that in the suggestions?

I find it quite annoying too, and I don't think you can remove that at this point. For now, Unity isn't that much customizable. Maybe more options for customization will be added later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes I understand, its a difficult situation especially when the software is originally based on English and the author of that software probably didn’t even realise it ment anything I guess these things can't be foreseen.

Yes I know what you mean, on rare occasions it could be helpful but most of the time it is pointless...

I've had a good look and I don’t think there is an easy way, maybe not at all.

EDIT: Well in these cases I think they are looking at the 2 hits that come up from the word. Hopefully if you can turn off that feature that should solve the problem. Bare in mind not just any software can be put up there, I presume the guys controlling the official repositories are the only ones in control (by default) and Im sure they wouldn’t allow such a thing to but put up on purpose.

My suggestion would be to force Ubuntu classic until this feature is fixed.
    Last edited by Ken UK; May 1st, 2011 at 01:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree with moiecoute. I question the need for promoting other applications in the middle of my workspace. In fact, I question the whole dash concept. I don't want my applications moved around depending on my frequency of use. I'd like to know they'll be where I expect them to be every time rather than having to search for them by typing. So far, I've found unity to be difficult to use. More typing, more clicking to achieve the same results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by freakengine View Post
    I agree with moiecoute. I question the need for promoting other applications in the middle of my workspace. In fact, I question the whole dash concept. I don't want my applications moved around depending on my frequency of use. I'd like to know they'll be where I expect them to be every time rather than having to search for them by typing. So far, I've found unity to be difficult to use. More typing, more clicking to achieve the same results.
    Although I can agree with the software center application promotion thing, as it's nice when you first install Ubuntu and might see some more applications to install, but will then get useless and just take up space. Better to keep the recommendations in the software center itself.

On the other hand, I used to use gnome-do (which is still better than the dash) but they replaced most of the functionality with the dash. My efficiency rose probably 5x with that. What is the problem with searching? It is significantly faster than finding it before in the menu using point and click. Move to the top left, click the menu, move to the folder in which your app is (I tend to look through a few even when I know which folder it's in), then click the application. OR press super, type the first letter and press enter and it's open in under a second sometimes. If you don't remember the name of the application you want, then you don't use it enough for it to become a productivity hassle to go through the menu and spend a few extra seconds.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans

I have to agree that this is rather annoying. There is no need to remind us of the 6 apps we will never download everyday of our lives. It would be nice to have the option to just remove the list. I think once a user figures our how to do that, he can be considred quite adept at Ubuntu and therefore not need to be reminded that certain applications exist.

btw, it is the pacakge ubuntu-place-applications that needs to be modified not unity. Just if anybody is listening. I tried doing it myself, but I am supernoob at building packages and all in all, it didn't work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

All I've managed to find is
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/37747...lications-lens

Not looking good.

Maybe file it as a bug and let them decide what to do.

Run from a terminal

Code:
    ubuntu-bug unity
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast