Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Manager/ System Crash

Beans

Power Manager/ System Crash

Hi all randomly everything went wrong, it said something like power monitor or something has crashed, looked like a battery. I'm not even on a laptop! Now when I log in it's a wierd version of my desktop like windows safe mode and it lags like hell, when I try and log out it just stalls on log out, I can't really open any programs and I've got no idea what's going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gone to hell

bad upgrade right?
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Nah, didn't ugprade anything! Internet went off so I logged out to try and restart because it wouldn't come back on and then had these problems!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Try re-booting and when the grub menu comes up, select repair of your latest kernel. Sounds like a bad shut down.

Beans

Will do mate, any idea what the command is? The startup times are usually pretty fast i'll probably miss it

edit: Yeah, I don't see any option like that, after the BIOS screen I see some I/O things for a second and then the ubuntu screen with the dots loading underneath then my login screen
    Last edited by Blue Summer; April 30th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.

Beans

To get to the grub menu, I think you have to hold down the SHIFT key after the BIOS loads.

Beans
    Distro

When you get into recovery mode, by holding down the shift key and then selecting the second option down in the grub list (use the arrow keys) and hit enter.

You should get to a menu, one of which is 'repair broken packages (or similar)'. Try that, with any luck you will not have significantly damaged the system to a point where it cannot be repaired.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans

Yeah it's "Power Manager" which is crashing.

After a few restarts I finally managed to get on the loading screen, click on the first recovery mode and after a bit of loading it said "Indirect register access" or something and failed.

Can't seem to get back on the grub loading menu at the min

edit: managed to get on, trying another recovery mode version, working! Trying to repair broken packages now
    edit2: it's supposed to be connecting to archive.canonical.com but it obviously can't due to the fact it's not connected to my wireless network

I can get into Xterm if that helps on the login screen
    Last edited by Blue Summer; April 30th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Power Manager/ System Crash

I changed the thread title for you, so that it is a bit more descriptive.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Power Manager/ System Crash

OK - looks like you will need to get`to a wired connection to do the repair, other than that it looks optimistic that you can recover.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast