Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edit Unity Shortcuts

Beans

Edit Unity Shortcuts

When you click the ubuntu button in unity, the Global Search dash comes up and under the search it has a list of shortcuts. The bottom row of shortcuts seems to point to what has been set in preferred applications. One shortcut does not fall into this category, view photos. It automatically takes you to shotwell. I don't use shotwell, I use picasa. Since there is not a setting for a photo viewing application in preferred applications, how can this shortcut be edited?

Beans

Re: Edit Unity Shortcuts

There doesn't appear to be a straightforward way which there should be, so -
    if you're not using shotwell than possibly try removing it and see if picasa takes it's place

(don't have picasa, but did remove shotwell and install fspot which is now showing in the dash

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    There doesn't appear to be a straightforward way which there should be, so -
    if you're not using shotwell than possibly try removing it and see if picasa takes it's place

(don't have picasa, but did remove shotwell and install fspot which is now showing in the dash
    I removed shotwell, but now eye of gnome seems to be the default. If I remove eye of gnome, then I also remove ubuntu-desktop so that's not an option.

The more I poke around the more I think unity is the wrong direction to go for desktop users. Maybe fine for other applications but I wish ubuntu would offer a more robust experience for desktop users. I guess I'll be going back to classic and see what 11.10 brings. If they decide to go unity only and not have a full fledged desktop environment then I'll move to another distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I love Ubuntu but I won't upgrade to a more resource intensive, less functional Natty. If this trend continues I too will be gone. Very sad. Yes I did try Natty and allowed extra time for learning but it is simply more eye candy and less function and slower unless we resort to the old Windows deal of buying a new computer to keep up with fancy effects.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I love Ubuntu but I won't upgrade to a more resource intensive, less functional Natty. If this trend continues I too will be gone. Very sad. Yes I did try Natty and allowed extra time for learning but it is simply more eye candy and less function and slower unless we resort to the old Windows deal of buying a new computer to keep up with fancy effects.
    I just wish they could have made the Dash Icons a little bigger Can't hardly see them.
    [/sarcasm]

Beans

More of a curiousity than anything else, it's possible to get picasa to show in the dash
    (even though it's wine app, installs to /opt and really isn't packaged/installed remotely like a normal, proper .deb

It may be possible to do thru gconf, didn't bother because I was building a new unity so just added it to a list
    (could use a little higher quality icon, not unexpected there
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

More of a curiousity than anything else, it's possible to get picasa to show in the dash
    (even though it's wine app, installs to /opt and really isn't packaged/installed remotely like a normal, proper .deb

It may be possible to do thru gconf, didn't bother because I was building a new unity so just added it to a list
    Where there's a will...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

And how did you do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmitty64 View Post
    I just wish they could have made the Dash Icons a little bigger Can't hardly see them.
    [/sarcasm]
    You can, you can. Make sure you have installed compiz-editor. Go to a command line with Alt+F2 and type in compiz-editor. From there in go to Desktop, then Ubuntu Unity Plugin. Now click on Experimental. There you see a slider that lets you change the Launcher icon sizes, from 32 to 64 pixels.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I was refering to the "dash" not the launcher. I got an answer on that though, the dash icon size is hard coded into the distro, therefore no resizing is possible at this time. This came from a Canonical employee over at askubuntu.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast