Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.04 freeze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 11.04 freeze

Same here on two different laptops. I can move the mouse and the keyboard seems to work but the rest of the screen is static.

I did fine that I could switch to tty1 (crtl+alt+f1) and kill Xorg and then it would come right back up with a new session. When I would do this the freezes would come back more frequently though.

It also only seems to happen when I close the laptop lid. Maybe a failed suspend?

Beans

Mine's doing this as well.
    Did it in 10.10, and in 10.04 too after upgrade.

When the computer wakes back up from SS, etc, the screen stops updating behind it, so it's just as if nothing were responding, yet I can still see, move, and even use the mouse.

I normally press the power button followed by a few return key presses, hoping that the "Shutdown?" dialog popped up (without being shown, of course).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

small update..........
    leaving ff4 running with dtamanager downloading something freezes my notebook after some 20-30 minutes.

Beans

same as a few of you, when I open the lid, wake the computer, etc the screen just seems to be frozen, while the computer still runs.
    the time on the screen is the time when I closed the lid on the laptop, so it's a given now that I just check the time to see if it's stalled or not.

the only programs I leave running, ever, are Mozilla Firefox, Transmission BitTorrent, and/or LibreOfficeCalc

as a few have also stated, it will run fine for a day, hours, etc, then out of the blue it freezes.

Beans

I am also experiencing freezing but it happens as soon as i log in [toshiba laptop with core duo 1.83GHz, 2gb ram, Quadro NVS 100m graphics].

All i have done was install ubuntu then started to update and was asked to restart which i did but once it loaded back up and i logged in that's when i couldn't do anything except move the mouse.

*Edit* Managed to get classic mode working by going into recovery mode on boot or whatever its called but i want unity working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Post Re: 11.04 freeze

Hello, this would be my first post. I'm new in Ubuntu and was experiencing the same issue. Found this recently:

Possible solution courtesy of Tianair:

-Install Compiz Settings Manager:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    -Go to OpenGL plug-in & uncheck the Sync to VBlank option.

Worked for me so far.

Please excuse my bad english.

Thanks dannyprox

I already had Compiz Settings Manager installed, so I have changed the setting you talked about and will see if that helps.

I will post on how it goes...

Beans

I'm having screensaver issues too. Thought someone else might want to run this test...

Reference: 749811
    Code:
    /usr/lib/xscreensaver/gltext
    I open two terminals, start "top" in one terminal, then start "/usr/lib/xscreensaver/gltext" in the other.

Tested four xubuntu systems, 3 x 11.04 and 1 x 10.10.

On the 10.10 system gltext uses a nice steady 1.0% memory.

On all three 11.04 systems, gltext ran up to 90% memory usage. On the two weaker systems gltext hit 90% and fail with an "Aborted" message on one and "Killed" message on the other. The stronger system, a quad core AMD, runs up to 90% and just hangs there until I force it down with the power button. Before forcing it down, I have no cursor, no consoles, no ssh, it's locked hard.

I've got my screensaver set to "Blank Screen Only" until the devs get this figured out and send out an update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have 2 identical machines running 11.04x64. On one of the machines, the mouse click becomes disabled. I can move the pointer around the screen, but clicking on things has no effect. From what I've experienced, this happens after a period of being idle and I have the screensaver set to blank. It doesn't happen all the time. It doesn't happen on the other identical machine. The only way I have been able to get out is reisub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dannyprox View Post
    Hello, this would be my first post. I'm new in Ubuntu and was experiencing the same issue. Found this recently:

Possible solution courtesy of Tianair:

-Install Compiz Settings Manager:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    -Go to OpenGL plug-in & uncheck the Sync to VBlank option.

Worked for me so far.

Please excuse my bad english.
    This has worked for me for the past day anyway. Fixed both of my laptops.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast