Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It has been a great experience, but it's time for me to say goodbye, Ubuntu :(

Beans

It has been a great experience, but it's time for me to say goodbye, Ubuntu :(

This will be a sad day for me, as I decided to leave Ubuntu and migrate to Linux Mint. It is sad because I had loved Ubuntu for a long time. It was a love at first site experience when I tried Ubuntu 8.04, it was the first Linux distro that I thought was very user friendly.

But a sad fall for Ubuntu and Canonical, as they decided to introduce Unity. The idea was good, and so was its vision, but the product failed. I know that there is an option to change the session in 11.04 for a classic Ubuntu, but even that has its errors, the panel and window crashes, and I know that its just the start.

What really made me decide to shift to another disto? Because Canonical decided to ship Ubuntu 11.10 and future releases without the 'Classic Session." I was not influence by any articles, or anyone by that matter; and I had high hopes for Ubuntu then. But Unity really doesn't work for me, it has glitches, slow, complicated, and I I'm irritated with the fact that you are now limited to tweak your interface.

Maybe Unity would work if Ubuntu doesn't limit its users to tweak their interface, I couldn't add items on my panel anymore. Linux is supposed to be customizable, and Ubuntu/Unity removed that from the user.

So now, after searching for a better predecessor for my laptop, I decided to shift to Linux Mint, and base on the articles that I have read, Linux Mint does not have the plan to use any "shell" on their interface and they got me for that.

Maybe in the future releases of Ubuntu, I will try to look at their developments but for now it is goodbye.

P.S. "This is maybe my last note, using Ubuntu; and yes this is with Unity (it really sucks)."
    Last edited by franchoy; April 30th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: It has been a great experience, but it's time for me to say goodbye, Ubuntu :(

I feel the same way, 10.10 worked great for me, but now "Ubuntu Classic" says I don't have enough resources to run it. I simply don't understand... Now it runs without graphics and just looks bad. The switch to Unity was just one big bad idea...

Beans

Re: It has been a great experience, but it's time for me to say goodbye, Ubuntu :(

Quote Originally Posted by PsyclonJohn View Post
    I feel the same way, 10.10 worked great for me, but now "Ubuntu Classic" says I don't have enough resources to run it. I simply don't understand... Now it runs without graphics and just looks bad. The switch to Unity was just one big bad idea...
    The same for me, I was happy on the 10.10 and 11.04 ruined it for me. And because I want to avoid Unity or any shell in the future, or maybe until it is not fully develop I am shifting to another distro...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Glad I'm still on 10.04 then as I prefer the LTSes— makes maintenance much simpler. But in 11.04, can't you just remove Unity and pick up Gnome? Sorry, I've been away from the forums and thus don't know what's new with Ubuntu these days.
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Samhain13 View Post
    Glad I'm still on 10.04 then as I prefer the LTSes— makes maintenance much simpler. But in 11.04, can't you just remove Unity and pick up Gnome? Sorry, I've been away from the forums and thus don't know what's new with Ubuntu these days.
    That depends. There is the "Classic Desktop" and "Classic Desktop (No Effects)" which is, as far as I know, GNOME (3??). If Unity3D doesn't work, I highly doubt "Classic Desktop" will either, at least from my experience, the two are somewhat tied-in, only the shell did change.

Now that the OP mentioned "not enough resources" then that gives some light on my case/experience and I can now safely say that 11.04 (and up) were/are aimed for new modern PCs = in other words, Ubuntu isn't for the Filipino masses who have low-end PCs.

Indeed, it is time to switch to a new shell or worse, new distro. I won't switch to KDE, I just don't really like it, too confusing. I am now scouting for a new distro. With the release of 11.04 Natty, I am even more firmly standing on my previous PoVs re: Unity - wrong choice, wrong decision. But hey, who are we anyway? We're a small fraction of the Ubuntu "Community".

A great distro but… but… but… my loyalty is with the Filipino people and third-world countries. We need a distro that simply works for the level of computers that we have, and the non-techiness of the people in our respective countries.

So far, it has been easy and we tolerate these changes, because we ourselves are techies - we read, we are willing to spend considerable amount of time to solve the problems we encounter, that's who we are… but the rest of the Philippines we are doing our best to switch to Linux, heck, Ubuntu? Nah, they're not, and we should _never_ expect them to "learn to read" and "learn to search" and "learn to solve their every techy problem". They are _not_ us to begin with. … …

bah, I'm ranting again… sorry, I'm not really happy…

But then again, Ubuntu wasn't made for us, it is for "them".

Beans

I'd never leave Ubuntu. But I'll stick with 10.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ragadanga63 View Post
    I'd never leave Ubuntu. But I'll stick with 10.10.
    that was my stand before. But after using 11.04 (having high hopes then), I was really saddened by its glitches. Though I reverted to the classic session, the screen is twitching. And the weird part about this whole switch to Unity thing, is that they said that it would be ideal for netbooks, and I installed it in a full laptop, and it sucks, it crashes. Netbooks have lower specs that laptops.

Beans

I love ubuntu, and the switch to another distro was really hard for me (emotionally), I never thought that I would feel something like this just by changing a distro, maybe now I can say that I'm officially "geek."

Beans

Man stop whining or ranting about the changes. There will always be major changes happening to any software project. Use Slackware or Debian if you like to do things your way. Until you do, you haven't really used Linux the way it was designed to be.
    Last edited by jsgotangco; May 1st, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
    Jerome G.
    Twitter: JeromeGotangco

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Jerome, true that.

Laicoms, still wondering whether it's possible to uninstall Unity and replace it with Gnome (or KDE for that matter)... come to think of it, I might as well try it myself. Hehehe!
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast