Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 11.04 vnc screen not repainting

Beans

Re: 11.04 vnc screen not repainting

Quote Originally Posted by freedomAboveAll View Post
    This fix works great for me for 11.04.

However, the disable_xdamage option does not appear in 11.10!
    The option isn't there by default but still works if you right click and add it manually by selecting New Key.

Beans

I have the same problem with 11.10 where the key is not there. I added the new key as a "bootlean" (sp?) and set it as true. I still am experiencing the issue. My issue is when I use VNC, the VNC client screen freezes. The host screen moves just fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Beans

selecting the "no effects" option within the login settings fixed things for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by betterhands View Post
    selecting the "no effects" option within the login settings fixed things for me.
    I've been supporting this OS since 2004, and I quit. This system is a damn shadow of its former self. Maybe they can get back under the Hood for once and stop the garbage hipster changes, eh?
    -Shawn Q {64-bit...like Atari Jaguar?}
    MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX;Phenom 9600;G.Skill 4x2GB DDR2 1066;2x Radeon HD 4800 series;Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."-Wyrm by Mark Fabi

Beans

Hi,
    for a quick fix, run following command from terminal:
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    Here is my elaboration:
    I've met this issue before with recordmydesktop and now with vnc. The thing is, that under compiz, apps like vnc won't get proper notifications about screen redraws (so called xdamage - areas of X screen, that were "damaged," that are goind to be redrawn and therefore would be of great interest to vnc). So one way is to force vnc to take and transfer entire screen snapshot, which of course leads to performance issues on slow connections.

Switching to the Classic desktop won't help, as it is Gnome 3 configured to mimic the old UI anyway. Gnome 3 might not be using compiz, but does the same tricks and xdamage doesn't work here as well.

I believe, the problem is caused by "compositing" feature of compiz, which is otherwise a good thing, but breaks these applications.

The other way I know is to replace compiz in remote environments with metacity, where xdamage works alright. Of course you loose fancy dash and other neat stuff, but having a spare terminal open was enough for me.

I think, that the described trick won't help for windows using graphics acceleration and the only way around this is to configure the environment to take full screenshots (like using xdamage_disable gconf key described earlier).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234