Thread: Low max brightness on eee pc T101MT

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Low max brightness on eee pc T101MT

I've just recently installed Lubuntu 12.10 on my Asus eee PC T101MT laptop and the max brightness is only about 50% of what I get from windows. The VGA device on this laptop is the Intel GMA 3150. I installed the mesa drivers.

I can change the brightness using the FN key on my keyboard, and by installing xbacklight. I have tried xrandr but could not figure out what "crtc" is and how to use that.

Is there any way to get the REAL max brightness?

Beans

Re: Low max brightness on eee pc T101MT

Beans

Re: Low max brightness on eee pc T101MT

Quote Originally Posted by h2z View Post
    I've just recently installed Lubuntu 12.10 on my Asus eee PC T101MT laptop and the max brightness is only about 50% of what I get from windows. The VGA device on this laptop is the Intel GMA 3150. I installed the mesa drivers.

I can change the brightness using the FN key on my keyboard, and by installing xbacklight. I have tried xrandr but could not figure out what "crtc" is and how to use that.
    I had exactly the same problem on an Asus EeePC 1015CX after installing Lubuntu 12.10.

I must say I haven't tried the solution given by Malexan, you should probably try that one first:
    Quote Originally Posted by Malexan View Post
    What worked for me was this (please don't forget to read the additional notes below):
    Edit the file named "brightness" in /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl, where it said 0, just write e.g. 50. In order to modify this kind of files you need to be root, so open a terminal (Accesories -> LXTerminal) and proceed as follows:
    Code:
    cd /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl
    sudo leafpad brightness
    To make this change permanent you must edit the file "rc.local" in /etc. Just like this:
    Code:
    cd /etc
    sudo leafpad rc.local
    Where it says:
    exit 0
    Rewrite to (again, instead of 50 you can type any number between 0 and 100):
    echo 50 > /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness
    exit 0
    Additional notes:

• If you don't see (or don't even have) the folder "psb-bl" or the above explained doesn't work, there is another "brightness" file in /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0.
    • Some authors suggest to comment out the "exit 0" (This would be, adding a # before it) Works likewise.