Thread: 11.04 install from CD: blinking cursor

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy 11.04 install from CD: blinking cursor

Hi there,

Having trouble installing 11.04 64-bit Desktop from CD on a MacBook Pro 5,3 - getting a blank screen with flashing cursor and CD spins down.

More detail: I currently have a triple booting Mac OSX / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 10.10 install, and when trying to boot from an 11.04 CD, it gets past the ISOLOADER, it changes video modes and shows the typical blank screen with an image at the bottom that I don't quite recognize , and after a bit, it goes to a blank DOS screen with a blinking cursor, the CD drive spins down and that's the end of that.

Thinking it might have been my ISO, I tried downloading the Torrent version and direct, burnt both copies of that with the same results.

Any ideas? Is there a more verbose mode I can run it in to see what might be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 11.04 install from CD: blinking cursor

Also having a blinking cursor problem here with my MBP, with both 32 and 64-bit versions of the install disc.
    Last edited by nandaiyo; April 30th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.

Beans

I am having the same issue. I got a little further with the alternate installer, but still did not manage to get a full working system.

I then went back to 10.10 and did an upgrade from there which worked, but I would have preferred a brand new installation.

I have now broke it completely by trying to have a go with gnome 3. If anyone else wants to go down this route - as of today - don't - well, not without a backup anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One solution is just to upgrade Ubuntu 10.10 to Ubuntu 11.04. This should work you don't have a ton of 3rd party deb and PPA installed.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades

It is uncommon now, but sometime burning the CD at lower speed help.

T-V
    Mike: "The hardest questions in life are the ones worth answering"

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Techno, I've tried burning the CD and doing verifies afterward as well as burning at the slowest possible speed, and I downloaded it both from a torrent and from the Ubuntu site itself. Ended up burning about six discs, all with the same results.

Thanks for the upgrade link - I ended up downloading the alternate, mounted it and am running the upgrade now, but I do still think there might be something to that blinking cursor on startup as it seems a few others are experiencing it too. If anyone knows how to display things more verbosely, I'd be happy to help track this down. I suppose if I need to run a live CD for any reason I can use 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had the same problem except I only ended up with 5 CD's. Anyhow I'm also going to install 10.10 and then upgrade from there. I'm also on the boat to help track this bug down and get a fix for it. Don't ask me how to go about it, but I'm sure we can find a guide for it.