Thread: ubuntu server upgrade to 11.04 breaks ssh

Beans

Unhappy ubuntu server upgrade to 11.04 breaks ssh

Hi,
    I recently upgraded my server to ubuntu 11.04. IF I remember correctly, I accidentally said keep my current version of some /etc/security/something.conf. Now whenever I try to login with ssh, I get successfully authenticated, then immediately kicked off. I looked in the logs, and it says pam_open_session(): Module is unknown. i think this may have something to do with my security conf file not being upgraded to the package maintainer's version, but not sure. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Michael.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu server upgrade to 11.04 breaks ssh

Quote Originally Posted by lilmike2 View Post
    Hi,
    I recently upgraded my server to ubuntu 11.04. IF I remember correctly, I accidentally said keep my current version of some /etc/security/something.conf. Now whenever I try to login with ssh, I get successfully authenticated, then immediately kicked off. I looked in the logs, and it says pam_open_session(): Module is unknown. i think this may have something to do with my security conf file not being upgraded to the package maintainer's version, but not sure. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Michael.
    This has went unanswered so I thought I'd say hello and throw out a few ideas...

I remember that when I upgraded one of my servers from 10.10 to 11.04 that it changed the ssh public/private keys. I had to delete the ~/.ssh folder on my ssh client to renew them on the next login.

If it is the conf files of ssh or something that didn't get updated in that update/upgrade process, you know that you could go to aptitude and reinstall shh -- and you'ld have another chance to review the conf differences and make those decisions again right?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 16th, 2011 at 03:06 AM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Hi,
    That's exactly the problem though. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think it's something with ssh, it's something in /etc/security/something,conf, which I didn't think was ssh, but I could be wrong. IF anything, it seems to be something with pam, which i don't see how i could reinstall.
    Thanks,
    -Michael.
    Edit: Just reinstalled sshd, no fix.
    Last edited by lilmike2; May 16th, 2011 at 06:34 PM.

Beans

Hi,
    Anyone have any ideas? I am having trouble using my server without sftp to transfer files while my only option is my hosts' out of band access.
    Thanks.

Beans

Hi,
    I'm still really confused, and my server is still broken with ssh. Can anyone please help? I've looked all over the place, but no luck. Perhaps I thought I could reinstall pam, but i don't know how to do this, and googling returned few results.
    Thanks,
    -Michael.