Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 + Gnome Classic + 4 LCD Monitors

Beans

Ubuntu 11.04 + Gnome Classic + 4 LCD Monitors

Alright, I've installed this new Ubuntu 11.04 and I must say its horrible. Not because of the "Unity", but lack of support for multiple monitors. They work in "Gnome Classic", but the problem is there is many bugs. First bug is that any windows I open do not have borders or title bars, and only open in top left corner of the screen. On top of that, I can't type anything in those opened screens like when I open terminal for example. Second bug is that I can't add any new items to panels on other separate screens. As soon as I try to add anything, I get the following errors. "Indicator Applet Complete" has quit unexpectedly. So 11.04 failed for me I'm afraid. At this point I can't use it. This is very said because I was looking forward in running new version of Ubuntu. Its very strange that Ubuntu programmers don't have multiple screens by now to test ubuntu properly. As for Unity, nothing to talk about there. Its pure "Vista" style like screw up. It only works well on laptop or single monitor. I guess all I can do now, is wait again for 11.10 and hope all bugs will be fixed by then to support multiple monitors like 10.10 does now. Also, this will teach me installing new ubuntu version every six months LOL With all the bugs new ubuntu version comes out .04 releases is not worth it. Better wait at least in till .04.1 comes or even .10 versions. Please fix "Gnome Classic" so it will support multiple screens again. I think its something to do with Compiz, because windows decorations is not working on separate screens. Well here we go again, installing 10.10 back and waiting for 11.10.
    Last edited by TuxLyn; April 30th, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 + Gnome Classic + 4 LCD Monitors

I also have this problem, any help would be appreciated

Beans

@Hotel, I've installed 10.10 version back. I suggest you do the same, because I don't think this bugs be resolved overnight or even within a month.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've also had problems with a two monitor configuration with ubuntu 11.04.

It seems it's difficult to drag windows across screens. In particular Firefox can be dragged from the 1st screen to the 2nd, but not back from the 2nd to the 1st. Repeated drag attempts from the 2nd to the 1st cause Firefox to crash.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TuxLyn View Post
    @Hotel, I've installed 10.10 version back. I suggest you do the same, because I don't think this bugs be resolved overnight or even within a month.
    How did you go about doing this? I still have my 10.10 install disk.

Beans

If you're willing to give Unity another shot, you can make that second monitor useful again by turning on TwinView (I'm using a nVidia graphics card). It appears that Separate X Screens isn't something they gave much thought to.

I'm still missing 10.10, but Unity isn't so difficult to adjust to once you get over those initial WTF moments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yep, this is my problem too.

Not impressed. In fact I think it's dreadful they let things slip this much.

This is one of the larger issues, but I've had countless bugs so far which weren't present in 10.10 and shouldn't be in 11.04.

Talk about a step backwards. Worst upgrade to date for me.

Beans

Similar to OP, I have four monitors and three of them are useless now. Can't Ctl-Alt-T in them to make new terminals, it's like they have no window manager.
    It was horrible in Unity, it's like Unity never even thought of having multiple monitors. And the 'classic' gnome seems to be newly broken now.
    I can't enable Xinerama, that was broken in 10.10 too. So, this is four separate X contexts, but it used to pretty much work.
    This is with a pair of NVidia cards each driving two monitors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Using nvidia-current and editting the xorg.conf generated by Nvidia X server settings, i'm able to run 2 monitors with Ubuntu classic (no effects).
    But:

• No dynamic switching of monitors like i was used to in 10.04
    • No unity 3d

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brianolson View Post
    And the 'classic' gnome seems to be newly broken now.
    Yes, it seems to be so. I have problem with secondary screen. Some key applications are crashing all the time. I'm also having serious screen repaint issues.

Most interesting of these is issue, where before I open locked workstation I can see everything on screen as it was before workstation was locked! After opening lock I just get blank screen. Doesn't look too good at all. This is also major security issue, I wouldn't recommend system this badly broken for anyone.

Here's two screen shots. First one shows errors on other than primary screen. Seconds one shows screen as it is after lock has been opened.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast