Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Please post the output (within code tags) of:
    Code:
    lsb_release -d
    From what I see in the Xorg log, I think it says LTS Release Version 14.04.4... But the kernel looks like a version from Release version 14.04.5 with the HWE Hardware Enablement Stack. Clarifying what I am looking at... Because for Mac, I see that it had went to 14.04.6...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 10th, 2021 at 09:24 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    @michael2000
    Please use code tags if posting long terminal output.

And often better to start your own thread, rather than be in this mega thread that may not be reviewed by those who can offer suggestions.
    Thanks for the reminder about code tags It has been so long since I last used this forum.

I thought about starting a new thread before posting here but there is no point now. For some reason beyond my expectations the new resolution started working after several reboots. Not sure why, but it might have been due to my unplugging then replugging the HDMI/VGA cable adapter into the Mac-mini between reboots. I may have triggered something.

Beans

Moving 20.04 to 22.04 went well on two of my three machines - the media center PC I have was black screened and was occasionally flashing on - and I found that Gnome (and KDE too) had picked up the wrong refresh rate for my Samsung TV.

Beans

1. Driver Issues: Make sure you have installed the latest drivers for your graphics card. If you installed a new graphics card, make sure you uninstalled the old drivers first. You can usually download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.
    2. Compatibility: Make sure your graphics card is compatible with your system and the resolution you are trying to use. Check the system requirements for both the game and the graphics card, and make sure they match.
    3. Power Supply: Make sure your power supply is sufficient to handle the new graphics card. Upgrading to a more powerful graphics card may require a higher wattage power supply.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by claraa-12 View Post
    1. Driver Issues: Make sure you have installed the latest drivers for your graphics card. If you installed a new graphics card, make sure you uninstalled the old drivers first. You can usually download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.
    2. Compatibility: Make sure your graphics card is compatible with your system and the resolution you are trying to use. Check the system requirements for both the game and the graphics card, and make sure they match.
    3. Power Supply: Make sure your power supply is sufficient to handle the new graphics card. Upgrading to a more powerful graphics card may require a higher wattage power supply.
    All good points, but...

I would suggest first running 'Additional Drivers' within 'Updates & Software', to see if the Ubuntu Repositories have a packaged/maintained version that is tested with Ubuntu... Usually less problems, and updates through normal channels. High End GPU's are now the norm and usually well supported by Linux.

Although Vendors have their own Linux Drivers, "bleeding edge newest" versons are not always considered as "STABLE". Nor is the procedure for installing them recommended for the skills of a new user.

PSU capacity is a given, and should be considered as well as checking the other minimum system requirements.

#2... Since I started this sticky, I have written the Forum's UbuntuForum 'system-info' script and given it to the Ubuntu Forums. It is safe and was adopted by the Forums Admin council. I intended it to help Members get information on a user's system, so that they can make informed recommendations on solutions to User's issues. As some of my background has been supporting the Linux Graphics Layer for a very long time, that report includes an extensive graphics section... to provide the information needed to help users. You will quickly get personalized support.

Please run that report, and start your own thread for your problem, and include a link to the URL of the pastebin it uploads to. That information will help Members help you with your support challenges.

I am still active supporting Graphics Issues (and other problems) in this Forum, as well as many other experienced Members who can help you. This sticky is here and is still relevant in identifying and solving many graphics issues that comes about in Ubuntu and Linux as a whole. It is an invaluable reference. Though... I would recommend new people reading this to start their own thread specific to their issue, on their own specific hardware combination.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 16th, 2023 at 01:12 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

The first method to fix the 1920×1080 black screen issue is to boot in recovery mode and start the PC in Safe Mode. Step 1: Insert your Windows installation CD/DVD or USB bootable drive to your computer, and start the computer. Step 2: Enter the BIOS.

Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139