Page 85 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi! , MAFoElffen, Thanks for your patience and prompt response.

First reaction: 18/12 after Post M >>P #840
    Code:
    root@alan-MS-7616:/home/alan# apt-get install apparmor-profiles
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed
      apparmor-profiles
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 45.6kB of archives.
    After this operation, 627kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 http://ubuntu.datahop.net/ubuntu/ maverick-updates/universe apparmor-profiles i386 2.5.1-0ubuntu0.10.10.4 [45.6kB]
    Fetched 45.6kB in 0s (209kB/s)           
    Selecting previously deselected package apparmor-profiles.
    (Reading database ... 247998 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking apparmor-profiles (from .../apparmor-profiles_2.5.1-0ubuntu0.10.10.4_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up apparmor-profiles (2.5.1-0ubuntu0.10.10.4) ...
     * Reloading AppArmor profiles 
    Cache read/write disabled: /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/features interface file missing. (Kernel needs AppArmor 2.4 compatibility patch.)
    Cache read/write disabled: /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/features interface file missing. (Kernel needs AppArmor 2.4 compatibility patch.)
    Warning from /etc/apparmor.d/sbin.klogd (/etc/apparmor.d/sbin.klogd line 35): profile /sbin/klogd network rules not enforced

Follows another two screens like this, ending:

Warning from /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.evince (/etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.evince line 79): profile /usr/bin/evince-thumbnailer network rules not enforced
    cat: /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/profiles: No such file or directory
     root@alan-MS-7616:/home/alan#
    The folder /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/ is empty.
    Code:
    root@alan-MS-7616:/home/alan#  apparmor_status
    apparmor module is loaded.
    You do not have enough privilege to read the profile set.
    root@alan-MS-7616:/home/alan# sudo apparmor_status
    You do not have enough privilege to read the profile set.
    root@alan-MS-7616:/home/alan#
    So what can I do about that?

You Posted:I could not get the Install option of the starter disk to do that, I could not find the 'Partition menu' described in the tutorials and asked for by Install; as described in my Post #833.
    I came across the dpkg method suggested by josephmills and it looked like an easy way to get 11.10 installed without all the trouble I had upgrading from 10.04 to 11.10 on my other computer - as you may recall - as also, clearly, many other people have had too.
    I did not take into account that you cannot upgrade directly from 10.10 to 11.10, which I assume is the cause of my mess-up.

As far as NVIDIA is concerned, with the original installation I did of the 290.10 version driver, afterwards, nvidia-installer came up as 'command not found'. This time it appeared to install OK, despite what you say, and
    Code:
    nvidia-installer -- latest
    now runs and shows 290.10 to be the latest.
    I ran it again because I assumed the Blank black screens and hung Ubuntu screens were due to the driver not being installed with the new 3.0.0-12 headers. I suppose I should have tried nvidia-xconfig first.
    Also I did not rename the xorgconfig file. Should I do that now and run nvidia-xconfig again.??

I have not yet run but Update manager says there are no updates to install and offers upgrade to 11.04.

Thanks again!!
    Chao! , bogan.
    No- Don't run it again. It's okay now. Just "apparmor-profiles" missing... Argh!!!

Here's what I get on apparmor_status on this box:
    Code:
    root@maf-ubuntu-01:/home/mafoelffen# apparmor_status
    13 profiles are loaded.
    13 profiles are in enforce mode.
       /sbin/dhclient
       /usr/bin/evince
       /usr/bin/evince-previewer
       /usr/bin/evince-thumbnailer
       /usr/bin/freshclam
       /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-client.action
       /usr/lib/connman/scripts/dhclient-script
       /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf
       /usr/sbin/cupsd
       /usr/sbin/mysqld
       /usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi
       /usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi///usr/sbin/mysqld
       /usr/sbin/tcpdump
    0 profiles are in complain mode.
    5 processes have profiles defined.
    5 processes are in enforce mode :
       /sbin/dhclient (1811) 
       /sbin/dhclient (1590) 
       /usr/bin/freshclam (2133) 
       /usr/sbin/cupsd (1241) 
       /usr/sbin/mysqld (1664) 
    0 processes are in complain mode.
    0 processes are unconfined but have a profile defined.
    You would probably have around 7 profiles.

Hmmm. File locking issues. If you booted from a 11.10 LiveCD (or USB) and used the instructions from the Second half of this post:
    Mounting An Installed System From the LiveCD

Then (possibly) it could install new profiles without a filelocking problem. Then, just for overkill:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install apparmor apparmor-profiles apparmor-docs
    EDIT-- I just noticed something with your errors. You said you upgraded to 11.10, but those errors are showing packages from 10.10. Did you ever update your software sources list? Or rather, maybe you could explain (abbreviated) how you did the release upgrade on that.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 18th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, MAFoElffen,

Your Post P 843 got a bit garbled in quoting my P842, the Quotes did not get quoted.
    I have not yet run but Update manager says there are no updates to install and offers upgrade to 11.04.
    should read:
    I have not yet run
    Quote:
    sudo apt-get update
    or
    sudo apt-get upgrade

but Update manager says there are no updates to install and offers upgrade to 11.04.
    It did not refer to my question:
    Also I did not rename the xorg.config file. Should I do that now and run nvidia-xconfig again.??
    So now I am not sure just which your
    :No- Don't run it again. It's okay now
    . refers to.
    I checked out the AppArmor folder in 11.10 on my other computer and it contains 13 (enforce) entries, but nothing else. I thought to copy it across but it will not permit copying, in any case I think it would be quite different.
    I tried running
    Code:
    again, and it returned
    “ ......apparamor-profiles is already the newest version”.
    You Posted:
    I just noticed something with your errors. You said you upgraded to 11.10, but those errors are showing packages from 10.10. Did you ever update your software sources list? Or rather, maybe you could explain (abbreviated) how you did the release upgrade on that.
    What I did was to download the three .deb files for 3.0.0-12 from the mainline, cd-d to the folder ( in 10.10 ) they were in, and ran:
    Code:
     dpkg -i lin*
    . That`s all! [ Abbreviates enough?]
    Except I had to run grub-update in both 10.10 and 10.04 LTS before 3.0.0-12 showed up in the grub menu.

What I have got is a half and half mixture of both – a mess – it looks like 10.10 and cat /etc/lsb-release says it is. Uname -r says it is 3.0.12-030012-generic, and grub aggrees.
    Update manager clearly thinks it is 10.10 and apt-get apparmor-profiles seems to think so too, it downloaded a totally different set of profiles 2.5.1 for Oubuntu0.10.10.
    As for
    Did you ever update your software sources list?
    If that means changing the PPA source in Symantic Manager, yes, I have changed it several times to get the best connection, but I do not think that is what you meant.
    I will try tomorrow what you suggest with the live USB I made from the ISO I downloaded from Canonical, but I think it will be a different version of 11.10 to the .deb files.

Chao! , bogan
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi!, MAFoElffen,

Your Post P 843 got a bit garbled in quoting my P842, the Quotes did not get quoted.
    should read:It did not refer to my question: So now I am not sure just which your. refers to.
    I checked out the AppArmor folder in 11.10 on my other computer and it contains 13 (enforce) entries, but nothing else. I thought to copy it across but it will not permit copying, in any case I think it would be quite different.
    I tried running
    Code:
    again, and it returned
    You Posted: What I did was to download the three .deb files for 3.0.0-12 from the mainline, cd-d to the folder ( in 10.10 ) they were in, and ran:
    Code:
     dpkg -i lin*
    . That`s all! [ Abbreviates enough?]
    Except I had to run grub-update in both 10.10 and 10.04 LTS before 3.0.0-12 showed up in the grub menu.

What I have got is a half and half mixture of both – a mess – it looks like 10.10 and cat /etc/lsb-release says it is. Uname -r says it is 3.0.12-030012-generic, and grub aggrees.
    Update manager clearly thinks it is 10.10 and apt-get apparmor-profiles seems to think so too, it downloaded a totally different set of profiles 2.5.1 for Oubuntu0.10.10.
    As forIf that means changing the PPA source in Symantic Manager, yes, I have changed it several times to get the best connection, but I do not think that is what you meant.
    I will try tomorrow what you suggest with the live USB I made from the ISO I downloaded from Canonical, but I think it will be a different version of 11.10 to the .deb files.

Chao! , bogan
    Then you are in reality "version 10.10" with a newer kernel.

Did you read my post on the linux patch for running 3.x kernel on earlier than Onieric versions? Onieric has this patch already as well as packages for Onieric have there checking routine changed for it. Packages have a kernel version check in them- example pre-oneiric looked for a kernel with a version higher than 2.4x and not over 2.6.x... See where than went?
    Kernel 3.x.x Linux Patches for pre- Oneiric Releases

Answering your question on... Leave everything alone on your graphics. Not another xorg.conf. If it's working, why break it right?

On the apparmor issue. Install the patch first. Reinstall instead of install. If not, next update will be more problems. Do the reinstall through sysnaptic. (easier)

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've got an server with with a ____gpu and I wanted to install ubuntu server 11.10 64 bits.

The installation went perfectly everything installed as it should but when i tried to start the server for the first time I had no picture what so ever my monitor still gets a signal from the server or it would have said that it had no signal but I only get a black screen and nothing else
    Server Graphics I - Blank Screen After Install/1st System Boot

I answered this elsewhere, multiple times in multiple threads. Now I can just refer to it here.

From Server 11.04 on, server tweaked the VGA graphics for console theming. Grub 1.99 and the kernel also had graphics related changes. Anyways, the short of is, even though server is text, now it's text plus. Now you have to tweak some settings if you have a Video GPU that has above VGA Graphics capabilities.

Use "nomodeset vga=791" using these instructions (never mind that it was written for a desktop):
    Temporarily Editing Grub Menu for Boot Options

Then login. After that
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    Look for the line that starts with "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" and change it to
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="vga-791"
    Then go to the end of file, add a line saying
    Code:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
    Save and exit.
    Code:
    sudo update grub
    Tell me how it goes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Aubergine Theming for Servers

This is not mine, but from members of the Server Team. I've used it since we tested in the the Natty dev cycle. I'll thought I should share it with you all:

Call for testing: Aubergine-love for Server folks!

Other console theming is done through setterm or through echoing escape sequences to the screen...

I use the following for reference:

256 colored Emacs (Have used Emacs since 1988 :
    http://www.xvx.ca/~awg/emacs-colors-howto.txt

Manpage for SETTERM (Ubuntu Precise):
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...setterm.1.html

Linux Disable APM Blank:
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...ing-blank.html

Linux Console Tips and Tricks:
    http://www.developer.com/open/articl...her-Tricks.htm

Beans
    Distro

Hi! , MAFoElffen,

I am afraid you rather lost me with your last Post M >> P 842.
    You posted:
    Answering your question on... Leave everything alone on your graphics. Not another xorg.conf. If it's working, why break it right?
    The reasons I asked if I should re-run nvidia-xconfig, after re-naming the xorg.conf file, were: firstly, I thought not having re-named it had made the procedure ineffective; second to deal with the Xorg errors that showed on booting to fail-safe - ie: Ex B >> P 840.
    Crtl/Alt/F1 then gave a screen of text for the X.Org X Server 1.9.0 Xorg.failsafe.log file, ending in:

Code:
    (==) Using system config directory “/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d”
     (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
    and hung with a flashing cursor, which registered keystrokes but did not act on them, except Crtl/Alt/Del.
    and which still occur.
    However, your Patch file involves re-installing nvidia so it is all a bit pase'.
    Did you read my post on the linux patch for running 3.x kernel on earlier than Onieric versions?
    No, I had not read it – what is “the linux patch”?, a Forum elsewhere ?? - but I have now, and am thoroughly daunted.

First: the easier bit – nvidia:
    When I sh -x the NVIDIA 290 bin file, the Icon of the resulting folder has a padlock on it, and if I open the file to edit it the Save button is ghosted. I have not tried sudo gedit from a terminal, nor gksu gedit, maybe one will work.

First Beginner Question: If I succeed in editing the files, the original compressed folder will not be altered, so I assume I will need to re-compress the edited version.

How do I do that?, and do I replace the original or give it a new name?.

Second: The Code Patch. This is where I am over my head.
    My /usr/src/ folder has two 11.10 folders: 'linux-3.0.12-030012' and' linux-3.0.12-030012-generic'. As 'uname -a' says that is what I have, I am trying to edit that.
    Please assume my knowledge of C++ coding – if that is what it is – is limited to knowing that Brackets come in pairs; unfortunately, in the “approved Linux patch“ they do not.

Code:
    diff --git a/include/linux/rcupdate.h b/include/linux/rcupdate.h
     index 99f9aa7..58b13f1 100644
     --- a/include/linux/rcupdate.h
     +++ b/include/linux/rcupdate.h
     @@ -814,13 +814,14 @@ static __always_inline bool __is_kfree_rcu_offset(unsigned long offset)
          return offset < 4096;
      }
     +/*
     + * Intended to be called only from the kfree_rcu() macro.
     + */
      static __always_inline
      void __kfree_rcu(struct rcu_head *head, unsigned long offset)
      {
          typedef void (*rcu_callback)(struct rcu_head *);
     -    BUILD_BUG_ON(!__builtin_constant_p(offset));
     -
          /* See the kfree_rcu() header comment. */ 
          BUILD_BUG_ON(!__is_kfree_rcu_offset(offset));
    My /usr/src/linux-3.0.12-30012-generic/include/linux/rcupdate.h file has :
    Code:
            static __always_inline bool __is_kfree_rcu_offset(unsigned long offset)
    {
            return offset <4096;
    }
    ie, enclosed in its own brackets, and the "static __always inline bool ….." line – without the numeric preface - is outside brackets together with the "#endif" line above, and preceded by a pair of orphan brackets.
    Then there are the two dashes – minus signs ?? - before the first BUILD_BUG line and the line following, are they significant and needed ??
    In other words: should it read as follows: Code:
    Code:
    {
    }
    #endif /* #else  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */
     @@ -814,13 +814,14 @@ static __always_inline bool __is_kfree_rcu_offset(unsigned long offset)
      { 
        return offset < 4096;
      }
     +/*
     + */ 
     static __always_inline
      {
     - 

call_rcu(head, (rcu_callback)offset);
     }
    Now I have done that it does not seem so intimidating - just a missed-out bracket, - if I am right.
    Furthermore, I just tried out
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    and despite a lot of protests, the Save button was active.

Chao! , bogan.

>
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi! , MAFoElffen,

I am afraid you rather lost me with your last Post M >> P 842.
    You posted: The reasons I asked if I should re-run nvidia-xconfig, after re-naming the xorg.conf file, were: firstly, I thought not having re-named it had made the procedure ineffective; second to deal with the Xorg errors that showed on booting to fail-safe - ie: Ex B >> P 840. and which still occur.
    However, your Patch file involves re-installing nvidia so it is all a bit pase'.
    No, I had not read it – what is “the linux patch”?, a Forum elsewhere ?? - but I have now, and am thoroughly daunted.

First: the easier bit – nvidia:
    When I sh -x the NVIDIA 290 bin file, the Icon of the resulting folder has a padlock on it, and if I open the file to edit it the Save button is ghosted. I have not tried sudo gedit from a terminal, nor gksu gedit, maybe one will work.

First Beginner Question: If I succeed in editing the files, the original compressed folder will not be altered, so I assume I will need to re-compress the edited version.

Second: The Code Patch. This is where I am over my head.
    My /usr/src/ folder has two 11.10 folders: 'linux-3.0.12-030012' and' linux-3.0.12-030012-generic'. As 'uname -a' says that is what I have, I am trying to edit that.
    Please assume my knowledge of C++ coding – if that is what it is – is limited to knowing that Brackets come in pairs; unfortunately, in the “approved Linux patch“ they do not.

Code:
          return offset < 4096;
      }
     +/*
     + */
      static __always_inline
      {
     -
    My /usr/src/linux-3.0.12-30012-generic/include/linux/rcupdate.h file has :
    Code:
            static __always_inline bool __is_kfree_rcu_offset(unsigned long offset)
    {
            return offset <4096;
    }
    ie, enclosed in its own brackets, and the "static __always inline bool ….." line – without the numeric preface - is outside brackets together with the "#endif" line above, and preceded by a pair of orphan brackets.
    Then there are the two dashes – minus signs ?? - before the first BUILD_BUG line and the line following, are they significant and needed ??
    In other words: should it read as follows: Code:
    Code:
    {
    }
    #endif /* #else  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */
      { 
        return offset < 4096;
      }
     +/*
     + */ 
     static __always_inline
      {
     - 

call_rcu(head, (rcu_callback)offset);
     }
    Now I have done that it does not seem so intimidating - just a missed-out bracket, - if I am right.
    Furthermore, I just tried out
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    and despite a lot of protests, the Save button was active.

Chao! , bogan.
    Good catch of that. That was pasted code from Linux change logs and docs... What my understanding of what that is meant to do is- It was erroring on the Kernel version schema. What it was doing is the kernel schema was out of range, errored out (logically(, and stopped compiling/exited. What this does is let it error on that, display the error, but let the compiler continue on. It will complaint that the kernel has an out-of-range schema, but continues compiling/building.

The other workaround there changes/adds 3.x/x into the kernel schema check range.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 19th, 2011 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi! MAFoElffen.

Thanks for the confirmation. I am going ahead with linux patch.

How about the Nvidia Beginner`s question ?
    If I succeed in editing the files, the original compressed folder will not be altered, so I assume I will need to re-compress the edited version.

Any chance you can help me with that ?

Chao! , bogan.

Beans

Not necessarily sure of this belongs here, but this is where google took me.

I recently had the problem described here of generally aubergine/blackscreening; sometimes it was possible to get to terminals with c-alt-f1-6, sometimes not. I eventually used the spam-shift method and booted into a secure session using grub.

Turns out my partition was probably full, I removed a 500mb file, and after that

sudo service lightdm start

worked, taking me to the login screen. You should probably mention lightdm now since with the new versions people will be using unity. After an update and upgrade (100 packages Oo) it seems to work decently well and rebooted without too much trouble.

Peace out.
    Last edited by Zakamutt; December 19th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zakamutt View Post
    Not necessarily sure of this belongs here, but this is where google took me.

I recently had the problem described here of generally aubergine/blackscreening; sometimes it was possible to get to terminals with c-alt-f1-6, sometimes not. I eventually used the spam-shift method and booted into a secure session using grub.

Turns out my partition was probably full, I removed a 500mb file, and after that

sudo service lightdm start

worked, taking me to the login screen. You should probably mention lightdm now since with the new versions people will be using unity. After an update and upgrade (100 packages Oo) it seems to work decently well and rebooted without too much trouble.

Peace out.
    Thank you. Yes. I have started mentioning that, but need to incorporate/update it into other posts. (It's a version thing now) Precise is making even more changes to LightDM.

In post 2 where I link to the other workarounds and tutorials in the thread, I try to update them with what is current. Post 1, well I know I need to go back though that one to update it. There is a few regression things I'm holding off on (Upstream bugs turned in on).

So out-of-space will also cause blank screens....Good to know.

I'm not familiar with "the spam-shift method." Could you explain?

Page 85 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast