Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    A couple things you should try.

First, reboot.
    At the grub menu, select Ubuntu. >
    At the Login screen, select your username. >
    The password box will appear...
    At the same time, there will be startup options that appear in the bar at the bottom of the screen, halfway across will be a pull-down box that will allow you to select Ubuntu, Ubuntu "Classic." Ubuntu Classic without affects... etc.

Select the Classic. The classic is the old, familiar gnome desktop.

Select it > type in your password and go on. It will remember and stay at whatever you selected last as the option.

When you do that, it will start Ubuntu without Unity. We want to see if it will display your graphics in that desktop... Narrowing down what might be wrong.

I'll stop there to get some feedback on what happened , so I don't throw a lot of things at you at once and lose you.
    I am not sure if my answer went to the right place. I had not Quoted your message. So I am trying again.

I did go to Classic Ubuntu, and I did get the familiar desktop, but only visible were the icons and text on top and bottom of the screen. Nothing showed in the big screen. It said there were updates available. I did ask for them, I could see them download as usual, but when it came to "Applying changes", that box stayed blank. It worked because after a while I got the message "System up to date". Then... back to Win7 where I am now.
    (Thanks for helping, by the way; I know, I can only eat Pablum, a little bit at a time).
    Gilles

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oceallaighm View Post
    I just thought that I would post for information purposes.

Clean install of Ubuntu 11.04 X86_64 in dual boot configuration with Windows 7 64 bit.

Toshiba Laptop L300D-10Q AMD 64X2 Dual Core TK-57, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD, ATI Raedon X1200 Graphics card.

Installation successful and I get Grub loading giving both the Ubuntu and Windows options and the Memtest86 option as well.

First observation of Grub screen the white text and the border seem blurred, this was not the case with Grub in Ubuntu 10.10 or earlier.

I select Ubuntu to boot, the screen goes blank and there is no hard disk activity, (note Windows 7 boots successfully). CTRL+ALT+F1 seems to activate Grub/hard disk and Ubuntu 11.04 loads the GDM, from here if I select Ubuntu Classic (no effects) I can successfully log into Ubuntu 11.04. Once in everything seems to work.

So far I have not been able to establish what the problem is, whether it is with Grub or with X.org or perhaps even a kernel module issue?

Obviously as Ubuntu 11.04 starts successfully after CTRL+ALT+F1 there does not seem to be anything in the log files of use. And the only error I see is one about:-
    radeon 0000:01:05.0: HDMI-A-1: EDID block 0 invalid. [drm:radeon_dvi_detect] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* Raw EDID:
    which I have been getting since Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04 and I don't know why as I have no HDMI device or port attached?

I have been looking at the thread, a lot of it is beyond me.
    Your laptop has a ATI Radeon® X1250 for video. These instruction here might be the easiest for you:
    Quote Originally Posted by surgus View Post
    Steps for ATI users:
    1. When the boot hangs, press ctrl+alt+f1.
    2. Login as user with root privileges.
    3. Type "cd /usr/share/ati" and press enter.
    4. Type "sudo sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh" and press enter.
    5. Type "sudo reboot".
    Another thing would be to use the rescue mode to boot (at the grub menu) > pick the failsafe / low graphics mode, then install you "additional drivers" graphics driver for your ATI card.

Be aware that with your hardware, unfortunately, you just might fall into this Bug here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/775899
    If you do, follow the instructions in post 2.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 5th, 2011 at 02:25 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gilch View Post
    I am not sure if my answer went to the right place. I had not Quoted your message. So I am trying again.

I did go to Classic Ubuntu, and I did get the familiar desktop, but only visible were the icons and text on top and bottom of the screen. Nothing showed in the big screen. It said there were updates available. I did ask for them, I could see them download as usual, but when it came to "Applying changes", that box stayed blank. It worked because after a while I got the message "System up to date". Then... back to Win7 where I am now.
    (Thanks for helping, by the way; I know, I can only eat Pablum, a little bit at a time).
    Gilles
    In that case... Press <cntrl><alt><F1>
    Enter your login/password
    Type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo reboot
    To install your updates and restart.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Many thanks for you reply MAFoElffen.

In reverse order, the X1200/50 to the best of my knowledge is no longer supported by ATI's propriety drivers, support was discontinued in late 2008, early 2009. So, I can only use fglrx driver and have done successfully in the past 4 releases of Ubuntu. So a propriety driver is not an option.

If as suggested I remove the fglrx driver what will the system use? Note, once I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 Ubuntu goes straight to GDM not to a terminal login. Also, the desktop works, has the correct resolution and is stable as I run the applications.

The only issues are the black screen and the fact that I have to hit CTRL+ALT+F1 each time to get to GDM, not a problem I can do it, it is just a nuisance to have to, and yes it is slow to boot!

(Addition I have read through the thread in full and as far as my understanding goes, I think that I might need to revert to an earlier kernel say the 2.6.37.x as mentioned. How do I go about getting these, through back ports or PPA?

(Update
    I enabled proposed updates in the repository and included was the 2.6.38-9 kernel, I took all of the updates and disabled the repository and restarted the laptop. Current position is that I can now boot from Grub and get to GDM without having to do CTRL+ALT+F1, however, alas in this game there is always an however, there is definitely a delay from when I hit enter on Grub to the monitor/screen being detected of about 28 secs, I then briefly get the Ubuntu image and 5 secs later I get GDM, so it now works, though it seems a lot slower to start than Ubuntu 10.10. I'll have a look at that later but unfortunately my 10.10 installation is now in an external usb chassis.
    Last edited by oceallaighm; May 5th, 2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Further information update.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    In that case... Press <cntrl><alt><F1>
    Enter your login/password
    Type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo reboot
    To install your updates and restart.
    Done that, except that Ctr Alt F1 did not work, but I could use Applications - Accessories - Terminal, and I gave the commands in terminal. It seemed to do what it was supposed to. I rebooted, and I was back to a totally blank screen this time, not even top line showing. So I had to power off, in order to get back to Win7.
    Gilles

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Angry Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

I am having the same issue. I am using an Emachine E727 with the Intel Mobile 4 Series and GMA 4500M. I tried the suggestions in the posts and was able to get the desktop when I edited Grub to read nomodeset. However when I edited grub.conf to read the same nothing happens. I went to Bugzilla and opened a bug report #649521 under gdm. So if anyone having the same issue can post under that bug as suggested in this post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hiya, ive just upgraded to Natty Narwal, from Maverick. Maverick worked fine on my Desktop, however i dont seem to be able to boot properly with this current upgrade.

When booting up, my monitor displays "out of range - 1280 x 1024" and stays like that for a good 2 minutes. Then i get a blank screen. The grub doesnt run. I press shift multiple times but that doesnt do anything, it then boots up to the log in screen and i am able to log in.

I've just installed start up manager and selected 1260x765 and it sorted it. Grub is now there.
    Last edited by meddyuk; May 6th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

Beans

1. 11.04
    2. Dell
    3. Inspiron 300m
    4. No video after grub (usually), but recovery/low graphics mode works just fine.

Can I make low graphics mode "default" so I don't have to boot into recovery every time?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oceallaighm View Post
    Many thanks for you reply MAFoElffen.

In reverse order, the X1200/50 to the best of my knowledge is no longer supported by ATI's propriety drivers, support was discontinued in late 2008, early 2009. So, I can only use fglrx driver and have done successfully in the past 4 releases of Ubuntu. So a propriety driver is not an option.

If as suggested I remove the fglrx driver what will the system use? Note, once I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 Ubuntu goes straight to GDM not to a terminal login. Also, the desktop works, has the correct resolution and is stable as I run the applications.

The only issues are the black screen and the fact that I have to hit CTRL+ALT+F1 each time to get to GDM, not a problem I can do it, it is just a nuisance to have to, and yes it is slow to boot!

(Addition I have read through the thread in full and as far as my understanding goes, I think that I might need to revert to an earlier kernel say the 2.6.37.x as mentioned. How do I go about getting these, through back ports or PPA?

(Update
    I enabled proposed updates in the repository and included was the 2.6.38-9 kernel, I took all of the updates and disabled the repository and restarted the laptop. Current position is that I can now boot from Grub and get to GDM without having to do CTRL+ALT+F1, however, alas in this game there is always an however, there is definitely a delay from when I hit enter on Grub to the monitor/screen being detected of about 28 secs, I then briefly get the Ubuntu image and 5 secs later I get GDM, so it now works, though it seems a lot slower to start than Ubuntu 10.10. I'll have a look at that later but unfortunately my 10.10 installation is now in an external usb chassis.
    ROTFLMAO! Well good. I was just trying to do KMS reseach... with emphasis on "trying"... when I saw your post. KMS ia very bleak on documentation anywhere that I can find so far. I can't seem to get anyone to talk about it from the dev area, the documentation team or the kernel team... But I did spent a few moments on the Kernel Team's blog to see that they are trying to get through 984 kernel bugs with natty!

That 28 second or longer delay when Natty boots?. As far as I can tell. I've noticed that has been somewhat normal since natty alpha2, at least when booting into Unity. With Ubuntu Classic, it seems to be fatser/less time. KMS was "supposed" to speed up the Xorg boot prcocess, then they throw some sand into it... nevermnid that. (Curious how Gnome 3.x is going to turn out.)

Happy to hear that the proposed kernel 2.6.38-9 worked out for you. If you look at this:
    Code:
    Please subscribre/join this Launchpad bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/775899
    Because it sounds as you are affected by it, along with a few more from here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=60
    The more peope affected we can get to join this bug, the more weight is going to be leveraged for them to fic it (hoping).

The instructions for rolling back to an earleir natty kernel are in this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=23

The link for the kernel mainline ppa is here:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    Follow the naming convention there for the natty kernels and whether  i386 (32bit) or AMD64 (64bit) and follow the instructions in post 2.   Basically, you would just click on and install the following .deb's  in  this order:
    linux-headers-XXXXXX_all.deb
    linux-headers-XXXXXX_i386.deb (if you have 64bit, choose amd64 version)
    linux-image-XXXXXX_i386.deb  (if you have 64bit, choose amd64 version)

If you click on the link for that file and install in that order = success.
    The above instructions also work to try out the kernels in the mainline ppo that are not released yet.- If you follow the mainline ppa's "link" above and follow those links to the kernel v2.6.39-rcx-natty, such as here:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.39-rc4-natty/

Well, when we were testing Natty beta1 and beta2, some us were testing natty using the 2.6.39 release candidates (and loving it). We "were" told about a couple weeks before natty "released" that 2.6.39 was not planned to be released with Natty (11.04), but rather wait for Oneric (11.10)... but if it works for you , go for it.

Please ensure that you join the bug mentioned in this post (above), so that The LP Bug Team knows that it "affects" people and needs to be resolved.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 6th, 2011 at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by skclewis View Post
    I am having the same issue. I am using an Emachine E727 with the Intel Mobile 4 Series and GMA 4500M. I tried the suggestions in the posts and was able to get the desktop when I edited Grub to read nomodeset. However when I edited grub.conf to read the same nothing happens. I went to Bugzilla and opened a bug report #649521 under gdm. So if anyone having the same issue can post under that bug as suggested in this post.
    So... what graphics does that have?
    You said you changed the kernel boot line in Grub (on the fly) with "nomodeset" and it went successfully to a desktop... but you editted which file? Hint; Look near end of 1st post under "Making Changes Permanent"...
    Now that I found something that works, how do I make it permanent?
    In a terminal:
    Code:
         cd/etc/default sudo gedit grub
    Edit the line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT". Add your new options, for example:
    Code:
         GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
    Now in a terminal run
    Code:
         sudo update-grub
    Now each time you update grub and in configures the files, it will pick up these changes.
    but going nomodeset, may only be a temporary change you might need to be able to install an additional driver, depending on what video hardware you have...

So again I ask- what video hardware do you have?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 7th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

Page 11 of 139 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast