Page 90 of 135 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Hi! , MAFoElffen,
    You Posted:
    I'm thinking with how it is and the problems its having- a fresh, clean, new install would be a lot less work and frustration.
    I formatted the 10.10/11.10 partition and installed from the 11.10 USB I had made.
    How quick and painless it was surprised me, once I had worked out that the instruction to use the "Partition Menu", meant what you get when the "Change" button is Clicked.
    Less than 20 minutes later I had a running 11.10 Unity screen - and the WiFi worked at once, too!!

However it then took Update Manager more than 40 minutes to install 235 packages.

At first things seemed to be AOK with the default Video driver- presumably nvidia-current, 280.13 - but after entering the blacklists, on several restarts, it hung on the "Checking battery state" line.
    Thanks to your very extensive help and tutorials, I knew how to deal with that. After:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall 
    sudo apt-get remove -purge nvidia*
    I ran the nvidia bin.run file with an '-f' option, and it downloaded and installed the latest version of 290.10.

Now everything - well, nearly everything - seems to be working correctly; just a few things to sort out.
    Edit: The next bit is "Solved".
    The worst is that the 'startup-manager' is not to be found either in UIbuntu Software Centre or with:
    Code:
    root@alan-MS-7616:~# apt-get install startup-manager
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package startup-manager
    root@alan-MS-7616:~#
    So I am unable to reset the default in the grub menu.
    Is there another way to do so ??
    Edit: I found Synaptic manager hidden in a menu, and there I found Startup Manger as: "startupmanager", so I now have it installed.
    Once again my most appreciative thanks for all you have done for me, and are still doing for others.

Chao! ,bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; December 29th, 2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: 'Solved' note added,
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Angry Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

my problem is different from what is said on this thread please be easy with me because I'm new to Linux.
    I`m running Ubuntu 11.10 on a Nobilis desktop computer my motherboard is a PC express rated for xp and 4 single 667 MHz max 1gig sticks of ram 3.4 dual cpu and i just installed a gigabyte ATI Radeon series HD 5450 graphics card for gaming, I bought this GC because of the price and it has HDMI outputs for my flat screen TV I also run emulators like ps1 and n64. Now my screen works but when i change to Manhattan HDMI Audio the movies speed by and the sound is off i return back to the internal audio it works fine. hope this isn`t a big problem but i get some glitches on simple games, and i would like to play sound from the speakers from my TV. Any help would be hot. And another question i plan on staying with Ubuntu but i wanted to get a gaming computer built, with the software 11.10 is running and i buy everything i need for this high end computer is Ubuntu the best for gaming? or will i have to run a dual boot with mac or PC?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by youvebeengoosed View Post
    my problem is different from what is said on this thread please be easy with me because I'm new to Linux.
    I`m running Ubuntu 11.10 on a Nobilis desktop computer my motherboard is a PC express rated for xp and 4 single 667 MHz max 1gig sticks of ram 3.4 dual cpu and i just installed a gigabyte ATI Radeon series HD 5450 graphics card for gaming, I bought this GC because of the price and it has HDMI outputs for my flat screen TV I also run emulators like ps1 and n64. Now my screen works but when i change to Manhattan HDMI Audio the movies speed by and the sound is off i return back to the internal audio it works fine. hope this isn`t a big problem but i get some glitches on simple games, and i would like to play sound from the speakers from my TV. Any help would be hot. And another question i plan on staying with Ubuntu but i wanted to get a gaming computer built, with the software 11.10 is running and i buy everything i need for this high end computer is Ubuntu the best for gaming? or will i have to run a dual boot with mac or PC?
    Please go to post 2 of this thread and... you could go with either the ATI packed or ATI Binary install. The packaged install would be easier for you.

@ Bogan - congrates!

Sorry for the delay... Been having an adventure with one of my servers. The attached RAID wouldn't come up on bootup... Until I found a way to delay the boot process. That install still has some things to work out.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

I upgraded to O. Ocelot, and I am getting a display mode error from my monitor instead of Grub showing up. I am trying to follow the general troubleshooting flow from the first post in this thread, but I am afraid there are gaps in my linux/ubuntu knowledge.

I CAN boot to a liveCD. I used this to run Boot Repair, and chose to purge and replace Grub, but no change when trying a restart.

I have Nvidia chipset onboard graphics [GeForce 6150SE nForce430].

I have a dual boot setup with XP. Both OSes are on one physical HDD, with another NTFS hard drive for all my docs, pics, music etc.

Where I am stuck currently is just trying to comment out the " /etc/default/grub GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00" line and save the file on my ubuntu partition while running the liveCD. I ran "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub" made the changes, but when I save the file no changes are actually kept. The terminal shows 8 error messages similar to this but eachdiffering slightly:

(gedit:5569): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.D7FU7V': No such file or directory

I also tried once to do this by CHroot, but I forget what issue I ran into.

Is it strictly necessary to CHroot to edit the /etc/default/grub file on my PC?

Is there anything simple I am missing to try what sounds like a simple thing to try?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for not reading all 90 pages of this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bdebruler View Post
    I upgraded to O. Ocelot, and I am getting a display mode error from my monitor instead of Grub showing up. I am trying to follow the general troubleshooting flow from the first post in this thread, but I am afraid there are gaps in my linux/ubuntu knowledge.

I CAN boot to a liveCD. I used this to run Boot Repair, and chose to purge and replace Grub, but no change when trying a restart.

I have Nvidia chipset onboard graphics [GeForce 6150SE nForce430].

I have a dual boot setup with XP. Both OSes are on one physical HDD, with another NTFS hard drive for all my docs, pics, music etc.

Where I am stuck currently is just trying to comment out the " /etc/default/grub GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00" line and save the file on my ubuntu partition while running the liveCD. I ran "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub" made the changes, but when I save the file no changes are actually kept. The terminal shows 8 error messages similar to this but eachdiffering slightly:

(gedit:5569): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.D7FU7V': No such file or directory

I also tried once to do this by CHroot, but I forget what issue I ran into.

Is it strictly necessary to CHroot to edit the /etc/default/grub file on my PC?

Is there anything simple I am missing to try what sounds like a simple thing to try?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for not reading all 90 pages of this thread.
    instead of commenting that line out (dated), I came up with a better way...
    Forcing Grub to Show Menu

Do the editing from a LiveCD, Then unmount the filesystem temporarily, but then do this (second half of that post):
    Mounting An Installed System From the LiveCD

Then you'll be mount to your installed system, If a way that whatever you install or run will affect the install base and system. Then you could open a terminal and update the grub config to pick up the edits:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    You might think to stop there, but since you're already mounted to the symtem, you might as well install your graphics driver:
    Installing NVidia Packaged Drivers

Beans

Question Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

I have GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, and I'm going crazy trying to run Ubuntu too... =\

The Live CD doesn't work, then I installed Ubuntu 11.10 by Alternate CD.
    Installation Ok... First boot, without Grub, [Enter] Ubuntu loads... Just the mouse appears and a black background, and the graphic part is 'bugged'.

Ctrl + Alt + F1, Edit /etc/default/grub, set gfxmode=1024x768, update-grub, reboot.
    Grub, edit linux boot entry, replacing "quiet splash" to "nomodeset", boot, install nVidia display driver [NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run], nvidia-xconfig --mode nvidia-auto-select, reboot...

This time, total black screen!

But, I tested this:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    cd /usr/share/X11
    sudo mv xorg.conf.d xorg.conf.test
    sudo servide lightdm start
    And... BOOM! 1360x768@60Hz login screen perfectly shown!
    But, no mouse, no keyboard, no power button... No inputs!

What's going on? What's wrong?

Somebody, HELP ME, please!

P.S> In recovery mode, I rename the 'xorg.conf.test' to default 'xorg.conf.d'...
    Attachments: Xorg.0.log, nvidia-installer.log, xorg.conf
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alln; January 5th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Alln View Post
    I have GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, and I'm going crazy trying to run Ubuntu too... =\

The Live CD doesn't work, then I installed Ubuntu 11.10 by Alternate CD.
    Installation Ok... First boot, without Grub, [Enter] Ubuntu loads... Just the mouse appears and a black background, and the graphic part is 'bugged'.

Ctrl + Alt + F1, Edit /etc/default/grub, set gfxmode=1024x768, update-grub, reboot.
    Grub, edit linux boot entry, replacing "quiet splash" to "nomodeset", boot, install nVidia display driver [NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run], nvidia-xconfig --mode nvidia-auto-select, reboot...

This time, total black screen!

But, I tested this:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    cd /usr/share/X11
    sudo mv xorg.conf.d xorg.conf.test
    sudo servide lightdm start
    And... BOOM! 1360x768@60Hz login screen perfectly shown!
    But, no mouse, no keyboard, no power button... No inputs!

What's going on? What's wrong?

Somebody, HELP ME, please!

P.S> In recovery mode, I rename the 'xorg.conf.test' to default 'xorg.conf.d'...
    Attachments: Xorg.0.log, nvidia-installer.log, xorg.conf
    Don't do anything with /usr/share/X11/corg.conf.d... The one that is the generated config file, that you rename to recover from a graphucs driver install is /etc/X11/conf

Reading through your logs, I see
    Current Operating System: Linux ubuntu 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:50:42 UTC 2011 i686
    Did you install Ubuntu Desktop 64bit? I ask that as the binary driver in the NV instller log was 32bit... NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run was what you installed (32bit). Here's the run file for mine- NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run, which my main box is running Ubuntu Desktop 32bit.

Nothing else really jumped out at me in your logs.

Beans

Thanks, MAFoElffen.

But,
    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Did you install Ubuntu Desktop 64bit?
    I installed Ubuntu Alternate 32bits (ubuntu-11.10-alternate-i386.iso)

Well... There's another log that can be helpful to trace this problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Alln View Post
    Thanks, MAFoElffen.

But,

I installed Ubuntu Alternate 32bits (ubuntu-11.10-alternate-i386.iso)

Well... There's another log that can be helpful to trace this problem?
    In your home directiiry, show hidden files, called ".xsession-errors"

Beans

I am having a devil of a time with “Cannot display..” on Ubuntu 11.10 on a 64 bit AMD PC:

1. I cannot [shift] access Grub when booting from the HD.
    2. Commenting out “GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00” /etc/default/grub using Ctrl-Alt-Fx did not allow me to [shift] access Grub when booting from the HD.
    3. I do not think I have a problem with my “ATI Technologies Inc RS880 [Radeon HD 4250]” graphics driver given that mu UbuPC worked fine for a month and displays fine when booted from the LiveCD. Moreover, I do not know what to put in /etc/apt/sources.list, which, incidentally, is empty.
    4. /home/username/.xsession_errors showed a ton of warnings and errors, beyond my comprehension, starting with

Code:
    Loading X session script /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99x11-common-start gnome-session[1438]: Warning: Session 'ubuntu' runnable check failed: Exited with code 1 Not sure which of the 900 postings on this topic to turn to next.

Page 90 of 135 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast