Page 88 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by arni1981 View Post
    I don't know what you mean, I thought sudo-ing a statement would pass all permission tests.
    It should. But you said you were getting permission denied errors.

If you did
    Code:
    sudo su
    That would temporarily assign you as root... Then do the commands (ommiting "sudo") and see if you get the same error... When through, type "exit" to get out of the root user.

If that also fails. then gksudo gedit, create and save those two filw with there single line entries. You'll know when you try to save them.

If that fails, boot from a livecd, open the filesystem where your install is, create the files and save then to that filesystem. You can't have a permissons problem with this method as you are mounted to the filesystem while not running in it.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi! MAFoElffen,
    After editing the files as per your patch instructions, I ran
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer--uninstall
    backed up the Xorg.conf file, and ran
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x nvidia-installer 
    sudo ./nvidia-installer
    It came up with an Error message headed "Installation Failed", followed by the text included in the log file below:
    Code:
     Failed Installation after editing files as per patch.

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
    creation time: Thu Dec 22 18:59:53 2011
    installer version: 290.10

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
        ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
    -> License accepted.
    -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 290.10.
    -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
    -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
    -> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/3.0.12-030012-generic/build'
    -> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/3.0.12-030012-generic/build'
    ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
    you either have configured kernel sources matching your
    kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
    on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
    you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
    installed on your system. If you specified a separate
    output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
    the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
    directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
    the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
    kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
    their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
    ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' 
    for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README
     available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    The system still boots to a seemingly 10.10 GUI screen but a lot of things are awry.
    The Launcher no longer shows, Windows have lost their three top buttons and do not come to the front when clicked on, the Mouse cursor is now a cross when on the Desktop screen and I can not grab and move Windows, or alter their size.
    Edit: I found the Launcher is still there, I could not access it because Firefox had a Window of which the first inch was off the screen and I can not move it; when Firefox is not running the Launcher appears normally.

What should I do now?

Re-run the nvidia bin,run file ?

Or give up, format the partition and do an orthodox install of 11.10.

Chao! , bogan.
    Remember that brace? Please take it out... (It is a macro, not C) and wait one on rerunning... I'll step through the code on that with 190.10. Be right back...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi! MAFoElffen, Your 'brace' instruction noted.

As a matter of interest, when I came to the Patch B 2 edits I found they had already been made, the second, 2.7 had been altered to 3.0.0 so I changed it to 3.1.0.
    After the failed installation I found that the grub menu 10.10 choice, which had previously stalled and hung on the Ubuntu screen, now booted straight into the same screen as did the 3.0.12 choice. Suggesting that the installation, from the bin.run file, might work if I booted to text terminal from 10.10 instead of 11.10, as it did before editing.

Awaiting your further comments.

Chao! and thanks, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    It should. But you said you were getting permission denied errors.

If you did
    Code:
    sudo su
    That would temporarily assign you as root... Then do the commands (ommiting "sudo") and see if you get the same error... When through, type "exit" to get out of the root user.

If that also fails. then gksudo gedit, create and save those two filw with there single line entries. You'll know when you try to save them.

If that fails, boot from a livecd, open the filesystem where your install is, create the files and save then to that filesystem. You can't have a permissons problem with this method as you are mounted to the filesystem while not running in it.
    Did sudo su and that worked, but now I don't even get into a desktop environment, and nothing really. This is getting really frustrating, are there other distros that would work better with this, I just need to get to a working environment, doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi! MAFoElffen, Your 'brace' instruction noted.

As a matter of interest, when I came to the Patch B 2 edits I found they had already been made, the second, 2.7 had been altered to 3.0.0 so I changed it to 3.1.0.
    After the failed installation I found that the grub menu 10.10 choice, which had previously stalled and hung on the Ubuntu screen, now booted straight into the same screen as did the 3.0.12 choice. Suggesting that the installation, from the bin.run file, might work if I booted to text terminal from 10.10 instead of 11.10, as it did before editing.

Awaiting your further comments.

Chao! and thanks, bogan.
    Couldn't hurt to try.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arni1981 View Post
    Did sudo su and that worked, but now I don't even get into a desktop environment, and nothing really. This is getting really frustrating, are there other distros that would work better with this, I just need to get to a working environment, doesn't have to be anything fancy.
    Unfortunately, No. If you have problems with this, these idiosyncrasies are now Linux Wide- meaning each one is these "new" thing implemented, because there were changes above them in GNU Grub, Linux Kernel and XServer... But these changes down need to be daunting. Once worked out here, you can apply then to any linux distro.

On the other side of that, you haven't told me what equipment you have, what problems you are having and/or what you are trying to do. Would it not be an idea to ask for help at this point? This is what this thread is for and why I watch it closer that any other...

What is your video card? I am assuming it is nvidia from what you were trying to do.

What is it doing and not doing?

Please post your /var/log/Xprg.0.log and /var/log/nvidia-installer.log files.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 23rd, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi! , MAFoElffen,
    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Couldn't hurt to try.
    I did as I suggested, booted to a text terminal using the 10.10 grub menu item and ran the 290.10 bin.run file. It installed correctly and all the screen problems, in 10.10, have gone.

This time the reverse effect has happened, 10.10 runs OK, but 11.10 3.0.12 goes direct to a black screen, as previously 10.10 did; to a Text terminal
    Code:
    sudo service gdm start
    has no effect, lightdm is not recognised.

The question of whether to re-run nvidia-installer from 3.0.12 remains awaiting your prompt.
    All the AppArmor errors are still there.

Chao! , bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi! , MAFoElffen,

I did as I suggested, booted to a text terminal using the 10.10 grub menu item and ran the 290.10 bin.run file. It installed correctly and all the screen problems, in 10.10, have gone.

This time the reverse effect has happened, 10.10 runs OK, but 11.10 3.0.12 goes direct to a black screen, as previously 10.10 did; to a Text terminal
    Code:
    sudo service gdm start
    has no effect, lightdm is not recognised.

The question of whether to re-run nvidia-installer from 3.0.12 remains awaiting your prompt.
    All the AppArmor errors are still there

Chao! , bogan.
    Yes.

Beans
    Distro

Hi! , MAFoElffen,

After removing the matching brace.
    I re-ran nvidia-installer from a 11.10 boot, without first un-installing the 290.10 driver installed from the bin.run file from a 10.10 boot.

The result was essentially the same - Failed Installation - error messages as below.
    No alteration in the system operation - 11.10 still boots to a black screen.

Checking out the rcupdate.h Patch I note that where the Patch instructions
    "/usr/src/linux-3.0.0-generic/include/linux/rcupdate.h"
    as the path; in my installation the folders in the /usr/src/ folder are all "Linux-headers-$( uname -r)" folders.
    I did not notice this before. Presumably not significant ??
    Code:
    Failed re-installation after removing added brace from the rcupdate.h file.

creation time: Sat Dec 24 09:39:14 2011

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

./nvidia-installer

-> License accepted.
    -> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system (version: 290.10). 
     As part of installing this driver (version: 290.10), the existing driver will be 
    uninstalled. 
     Are you sure you want to continue? ('no' will abort installation) (Answer: Yes)
    on your system.

ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' 
    for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the 
    README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    I propose to rerun the bin.run file from a 11.10 boot.
    In your words: I do not see it could do much harm, merely return to the status ante.

Did you find anything significant when you checked out the 290.10 code ??

Chao! , bogan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi! , MAFoElffen,

After removing the matching brace.
    I re-ran nvidia-installer from a 11.10 boot, without first un-installing the 290.10 driver installed from the bin.run file from a 10.10 boot.

The result was essentially the same - Failed Installation - error messages as below.
    No alteration in the system operation - 11.10 still boots to a black screen.

Checking out the rcupdate.h Patch I note that where the Patch instructions as the path; in my installation the folders in the /usr/src/ folder are all "Linux-headers-$( uname -r)" folders.
    I did not notice this before. Presumably not significant ??
    Code:
    Failed re-installation after removing added brace from the rcupdate.h file.

creation time: Sat Dec 24 09:39:14 2011

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

./nvidia-installer

-> License accepted.
    -> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system (version: 290.10). 
     As part of installing this driver (version: 290.10), the existing driver will be 
    uninstalled. 
     Are you sure you want to continue? ('no' will abort installation) (Answer: Yes)
    on your system.

for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the 
    README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    I propose to rerun the bin.run file from a 11.10 boot.
    In your words: I do not see it could do much harm, merely return to the status ante.

Did you find anything significant when you checked out the 290.10 code ??

Chao! , bogan.
    Please use " sudo nvidia-installer -f " or " sudo nvidia-installer --force-update "
    (both mean the same thing) It forces an update to proceed, even if the installer thinks the latest driver is already installed; this option implies '--update'. It failed because it saw that 290.10 was already installed / But you need it to compile on the newer kernel. When it does that, it should work with the newer kernels. while having backward compatibility to the older kernels.

Actually from what I saw in the 290.10 code, it already had moods in it to compile on the newer kernels without any mod's. (whereas the older builds didn't) So the only thing you would need in 10.04 and the 3.x kernels is the Linux patch.

But from the errors you've been getting, it says it can't find the kernel source(?) It was a Vanilla Driver? Here is some example of declaring where kernel source resides for the installer to find it. If it was a Vanilla Kernel Build, the source just might not be in the standard place.
    8) Install the driver: IF you are using the kernel that comes by default with Ubuntu (or if you don't know what a kernel is) then type:
    sudo ./nvidia-installer -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`OR (if you use Ubuntu 64bit)
    sudo ./nvidia-installer -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib64/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`OTHERWISE if you are using a kernel which you compiled from vanilla sources (i.e. from kernel.org) then you have two options:
    a) if you are using kernel 2.6.13 or lower you have to type:
    sudo ./nvidia-installer -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-`uname -r`OR (if you use Ubuntu 64bit)
    sudo ./nvidia-installer -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib64/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`Then go to Step 9
    NOTE: please make sure you use a instead of a common apostrophe '. If you don't know how to type a then you can use this $(uname -r) instead of uname -r (which is pretty much the same).
    NOTE: if you own a GeForce4 420 Go or a GeForce4 440 Go you should follow also point 7 of the PROBLEMS SECTION.
    b) if you are using kernel 2.6.14 or higher you have to type:

sudo cp /usr/src/name_of_your_source/arch/i386/Makefile.cpu /usr/src/kernel-headers-`uname -r`/arch/i386/NOTE: you have to replace "name_of_your_source" with the name of your source, such as linux-2.6.16, etc.)

cd /usr/src/kernel-headers-`uname -r`/
    sudo make prepare
    sudo make prepare scripts
    cd $HOME
    cd “directory_where_you_have_the_nvidia_installe r”
    cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1
    sudo ./nvidia-installer -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-`uname -r`OR (if you use Ubuntu 64bit)
    sudo ./nvidia-installer -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib64/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`Then go to next step
    NOTE: please make sure you use a instead of a common apostrophe '. If you don't know how to type a then you can use this $(uname -r) instead of uname -r (which is pretty much the same).
    NOTE: if you own a GeForce4 420 Go, a GeForce4 440 Go or a GeForce4 MX 440 you should follow also point 7 of the PROBLEMS SECTION.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 24th, 2011 at 08:51 PM.

Page 88 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast