Page 87 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Hi! , MAFoElffen,
    Thanks for your Xorg log Post, P #860, that is really a huge project, and some very valuable information many will appreciate.

My apologies if what follows seems over-pedantic but I have a hard-earned aversion to doing things with computers that I do not understand.

For myself, I seem to be at a crossroad with five - or more - ways out; of which three have signposts that say the same destination, and the others have no signpost at all.
    But then that seems to be Situation Normal for Linux.
    I begin to wish I had never heard of it; { and I expect you are wishing you never heard from me}.

In your Patch Post P #306, Option B 2d ,you posted:
    …./ after editing and saving the file …
    d. You should then cd to the extracted directory of the nvidia-installer and run it via.
    Code:
     sudo chmod +x nvidia-installer
     sudo ./nvidia-installer
    Whereas in Option C the post reads:
    Save the file. Install kernel 2.6.29-git8, reboot.

Uninstall your driver like you normally would, to make sure none of it is there from your last install.

Navigate to the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.44-pkg2 directory, wherever you put it:

Execute with root privileges:
    Code:
    sudo ./nvidia-installer
    Whilst your P #858 reads:
    After the edits, You don't run the original .run file, you change to the extraction directory, chroot the nvidia-installer file (to executable) and run it.
    First: I know what 'chmod' does, from the notes in the nvidia driver folder. What 'chroot' does is a mystery that
    Code:
    man chroot
    does nothing to solve. Is that instead of, or as well as, 'chmod'? Or is it a typo?.

Second: I assume that: “change to”, “Navigate to”, and: “CD”, all mean the same thing.

However, to me at least, “ cd to the extracted directory of the nvidia-installer” and “ change to the extraction directory” imply two different levels, whereas: “Navigate to the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.44-pkg2 directory, wherever you put it:” could be interpreted to mean either the folder to which the file was de-compressed, or the de-compressed folder itself.

Third: Reinforced by your Post P # 859:
    Always try to remove drivers before reinstalling. If you don't add that step in, it either says you already have the current package or some people end up with both old and new pieces of a driver that conflict with each other or don't work together.
    I assume that in using Patch Option B 2d, I should also alter the name of the Xorg.conf file and uninstall nvidia before running the above code.

Fourth: I assume the instruction: “Install kernel 2.6.29-git8, reboot.” would not apply in my case, even with the version number altered.

I will be extremely grateful if you could clarify these points.

Chao! ,bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    That's because nvidia-current is the package... nvidia is the module.
    Code:

sudo echo RUN+="/sbin/modprobe nvidia" > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-modprobe.rules 
    sudo echo options nouveau modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf 
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    That creates a file in udev to load the nvidia module via udev (earlier than modprobe), turns off and prevents nouveau from loading when modprobe.d loads (same method used by the nvidia binary driver installer) and adds it to the initial boot ram disk.
    I get a "permission denied" on the first 2 statements

Beans

dear all,

I install ubuntu server after installtion its started only the CUI, how can I login with GUI mode.

Also I try to use admin with the help of sudo command, but I am not getting any # prompt
    its ask for password after same $ prompt is getting

Also what are the necessary setting to install the SGD (Sun Secure Global Desktop server) in it

Kindly help in this regard,

Thanks
    S John

Beans
    Distro

Hi! MAFoElffen,

I have found it fascinating, in the light of your Xorg.log Post # 860, to compare my Xorg.0.log of today's date 21/12/11, with the Xorg.1.log of 19/12/11, which is more than 6 times longer.

Both show the Current Operating System as 3.0.12-030012-generic; but while Xorg.0.log used 'VGA=795 quiet splash' and /etc/X11/xorg.conf, the Xorg.1.log used '--verbose single' and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe.

Whereas today's shows NVIDIA modules being installed much as shown in your Xorg.log in Post #860; the previous one does not show any attempt to load NVIDIA – except for the glx module , which is the 290.10 version – instead it loads VESA.
    The sub modules loaded after VESA are also quite different from after NVIDIA in Xorg.0.log.

I am wondering if that difference is a sign of my problems, or the normal reaction to using the '--verbose single' boot text.

By contrast, Xorg.5.log of 18/12/11 is very short, shows the Current Operating System as: 2.6.35-30-generic, used the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and ends with the classic:
    Code:
     “(EE) Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.....Fatal server error:
    Chao! , bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; December 21st, 2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Spacing,
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi! , MAFoElffen,
    Thanks for your Xorg log Post, P #860, that is really a huge project, and some very valuable information many will appreciate.

My apologies if what follows seems over-pedantic but I have a hard-earned aversion to doing things with computers that I do not understand.

For myself, I seem to be at a crossroad with five - or more - ways out; of which three have signposts that say the same destination, and the others have no signpost at all.
    But then that seems to be Situation Normal for Linux.
    I begin to wish I had never heard of it; { and I expect you are wishing you never heard from me}.

In your Patch Post P #306, Option B 2d ,you posted:Whereas in Option C the post reads: Whilst your P #858 reads: First: I know what 'chmod' does, from the notes in the nvidia driver folder. What 'chroot' does is a mystery that
    Code:
    man chroot
    does nothing to solve. Is that instead of, or as well as, 'chmod'? Or is it a typo?.

Second: I assume that: “change to”, “Navigate to”, and: “CD”, all mean the same thing.

However, to me at least, “ cd to the extracted directory of the nvidia-installer” and “ change to the extraction directory” imply two different levels, whereas: “Navigate to the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.44-pkg2 directory, wherever you put it:” could be interpreted to mean either the folder to which the file was de-compressed, or the de-compressed folder itself.

Third: Reinforced by your Post P # 859:
    I assume that in using Patch Option B 2d, I should also alter the name of the Xorg.conf file and uninstall nvidia before running the above code.

Fourth: I assume the instruction: “Install kernel 2.6.29-git8, reboot.” would not apply in my case, even with the version number altered.

I will be extremely grateful if you could clarify these points.

Chao! ,bogan.
    1 - Typo. chmod is correct. Simple terms = find the directory nvidia-installer is now located, change it to an executible, run it.

2 - Yes, they all meant the same thing.

3 - Yes. Backup the xorg.conf and uninstall the old driver.

$, Yes, that was meant for the original person that post was written for.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arni1981 View Post
    I get a "permission denied" on the first 2 statements
    Are you a user in the sudoer's file? Problems with rights, authorities and permissions would also cause problems in installing drivers....

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alexy4chat View Post
    I install ubuntu server after installtion its started only the CUI, how can I login with GUI mode.

Also I try to use admin with the help of sudo command, but I am not getting any # prompt
    its ask for password after same $ prompt is getting

Also what are the necessary setting to install the SGD (Sun Secure Global Desktop server) in it
    The Ubuntu Server Edition's default user interface is text-based CLI (Command Line Interface). The Graphics are VGA. Servers are geared to dedicate resources to server services.

You can install any desktop you want on top of it such as
    Code:
    sudo install xubuntu-desktop
    Or your own such as xserver-xorg-core + xdm + LXDE + XDM...

But before any of that:If Oracle Secure Global Desktop (Server) is a requirement for you... I'm looking at Oracle's White Paper and Install docs. The Server Install for that app is for:
    Oracle Solaris 10
    OpenSolaris 2008.10
    Red Hat Enterpise Linux 5
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10

It doesn't say, but implied that it is probably .rpm based packages. That means it should also be an easy go for Fedora and OpenSUSE. I have it installed on Solaris 11 Express (Dev), but I honestly haven't implemented any clients to test it. I have OpenIndiana and an sure it would install on that also.

I don't know that it's been ported to Debian Linux. You might be able to get it to work on Ubuntu Server, but "you" would have to convert the package from .rpm to .deb yourself.

Actually, in the small print when you download it, it says limited trial, You have to select a Product Pack for the type of application you want to run and the only platforms it says it's written for is Solaris SPARC and Solaris x86-64... But that's Oracle...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi! MAFoElffen,

I have found it fascinating, in the light of your Xorg.log Post # 860, to compare my Xorg.0.log of today's date 21/12/11, with the Xorg.1.log of 19/12/11, which is more than 6 times longer.

Both show the Current Operating System as 3.0.12-030012-generic; but while Xorg.0.log used 'VGA=795 quiet splash' and /etc/X11/xorg.conf, the Xorg.1.log used '--verbose single' and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe.

Whereas today's shows NVIDIA modules being installed much as shown in your Xorg.log in Post #860; the previous one does not show any attempt to load NVIDIA – except for the glx module , which is the 290.10 version – instead it loads VESA.
    The sub modules loaded after VESA are also quite different from after NVIDIA in Xorg.0.log.

I am wondering if that difference is a sign of my problems, or the normal reaction to using the '--verbose single' boot text.

By contrast, Xorg.5.log of 18/12/11 is very short, shows the Current Operating System as: 2.6.35-30-generic, used the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and ends with the classic:
    Code:
     “(EE) Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.....Fatal server error:
    Chao! , bogan.
    Yes. Those Xorg Logs get really short when they error out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Are you a user in the sudoer's file? Problems with rights, authorities and permissions would also cause problems in installing drivers....
    I don't know what you mean, I thought sudo-ing a statement would pass all permission tests.

Beans
    Distro

Hi! MAFoElffen,
    After editing the files as per your patch instructions, I ran
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer--uninstall
    backed up the Xorg.conf file, and ran
    Code:
    sudo ./nvidia-installer
    It came up with an Error message headed "Installation Failed", followed by the text included in the log file below:
    Code:
     Failed Installation after editing files as per patch.

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
    creation time: Thu Dec 22 18:59:53 2011
    installer version: 290.10

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
        ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
    -> License accepted.
    -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 290.10.
    -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
    -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
    -> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/3.0.12-030012-generic/build'
    -> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/3.0.12-030012-generic/build'
    ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
    you either have configured kernel sources matching your
    kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
    on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
    you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
    installed on your system. If you specified a separate
    output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
    the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
    directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
    the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
    kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
    their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
    the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
    ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' 
    for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README
     available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    The system still boots to a seemingly 10.10 GUI screen but a lot of things are awry.
    The Launcher no longer shows, Windows have lost their three top buttons and do not come to the front when clicked on, the Mouse cursor is now a cross when on the Desktop screen and I can not grab and move Windows, or alter their size.
    Edit: I found the Launcher is still there, I could not access it because Firefox had a Window of which the first inch was off the screen and I can not move it; when Firefox is not running the Launcher appears normally.

What should I do now?

Re-run the nvidia bin,run file ?

Or give up, format the partition and do an orthodox install of 11.10.

Chao! , bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; December 22nd, 2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Note re Launcher added,

Page 87 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast