Page 81 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Hey there!

Just thought that I'd update you on the progress that I made over the weekend.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to get to the partition of my hard drive that actually held the version I was trying to update. I used GParted to see that it was there but my boot protocol seemed to ignore any boot flags that I would set up so that, no matter what, it would boot with the 11.10 version that I had loaded after my initial blank-screen problems.

Finally, I took a chance and went back to the next most recent version of Ubuntu on my Grub menu -- 2.7.something. From there, I followed your instructions on uninstalling, then installing updated, drivers. One of my first responses to a command was to update my -dpkg. I typed in the exact line it suggested and...voila!! It began to update that version into 11.10. After it had updated, I typed in the remaining instructions for retrieving the newest nvidia drivers and it worked like a charm!

My computer now boots into the proper version on the right partition and I have no graphics problems at all -- actually, the graphics look far better than they did before!! Additionally, I have access to my files again after 5 weeks of suffering through my job without them!!

Guess my last two tasks now are to back up all of my data post haste (had been putting that off for about 8 months and now realize the value of it...) and then to erase the partition I accidentally created which is just running a version of 11.10 w/o all of my packages.

Thanks kindly for all of the help, everybody. Especially you, MAFoElffen!! I really appreciate it!!

Next time I'll know better than to do the auto-update...!

Beans

Hey all, hope i can get my help here.

I currently run an HP dv6 and am running an AMD quad-core processor with a Radeon graphics card. I've been getting the black screen on most everything when replacing the boot line. replacing the line with "nomodeset" allows me to run from the command line when I press <ctrl><alt><f1-5>

I've tried downloading hwinfo but when I run "sudo apt-get install hwinfo" it says that it cannot find hwinfo. Am I missing something here.

Also when I run nomodeset it does not give me a completely black screen. There is a blinking space in the upper left corner. Please let me know if there is any other info needed.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by flyingcircle View Post
    Hey all, hope i can get my help here.

I currently run an HP dv6 and am running an AMD quad-core processor with a Radeon graphics card. I've been getting the black screen on most everything when replacing the boot line. replacing the line with "nomodeset" allows me to run from the command line when I press <ctrl><alt><f1-5>

I've tried downloading hwinfo but when I run "sudo apt-get install hwinfo" it says that it cannot find hwinfo. Am I missing something here.

Also when I run nomodeset it does not give me a completely black screen. There is a blinking space in the upper left corner. Please let me know if there is any other info needed.

Thanks
    Is this on a new install or an upgrade? What version of Ubunutu?

I just looked and hwinfo is being found for me in the natty, oneiric and precise repo's. Maybe for you it's a localle/repo problem... I also get that every once in a while, where the repo is down for a bit/then back up.

While you are at a command prompt, please post the results of this:
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

The install is a new one of Ubuntu 11.10. I did it through a usb drive.

When I typed in lspci -vnn | grep VGA I got:

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Device [1002:9641] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The install is a new one of Ubuntu 11.10. I did it through a usb drive.

When I typed in lspci -vnn | grep VGA I got:

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Device [1002:9641] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Did you install your driver?
    Installing ATI Packaged Drivers

Beans

I was not able to install the driver with those directions. when i ran :

sudo apt-get /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

it said that sh could not open the file.

and the

echo options radeon modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf

said that my permission was denied, (I tried running it with sudo as well)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was not able to install the driver with those directions. when i ran :

sudo apt-get /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

it said that sh could not open the file.
    aThat's where the instruction said
    The second through fourth commands may get a file nor found... Thats okay. Ensuring fragments are not there.
    Which trans;ates to in it didn't find it, thats okay. If it was found we remove it so old drivers don't conflict with the new drivers

and the

echo options radeon modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf

said that my permission was denied, (I tried running it with sudo as well)
    You are right. My typo on that- I should have had "sudo" before that:
    Code:
    sudo echo options radeon modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf
    Thank you. I corrected that in my tutorial.

The thing about that part, is you should only need to apply that if you havong problems getting passed the plymouth splash or if you have problems because of a KMS conflict.

Beans

Well i've tried all the graphics updates and they all did nothing except for the "sudo update-initramfs -u" line.

After that reboot after pressing <ctrl><alt><f7> it shows that it is stuck after checking the battery state. I guess it could be progress or could be a fluke.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well i've tried all the graphics updates and they all did nothing except for the "sudo update-initramfs -u" line.

After that reboot after pressing <ctrl><alt><f7> it shows that it is stuck after checking the battery state. I guess it could be progress or could be a fluke.
    Please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If you boot from a LiveCD, you can find it and post from there.

"Checking Battery State" through "Checking System V Capatability" are at a point where Xorg loads and hits the graphics drivers. Most of the time, when it hangs at this, it's a driver problem...

I know you just installed drivers, but something is still wrong with that.

Beans

I've been trying to find a way to post the file without having to type it out by hand. Unfortunately I'm not able to get to Ubuntu through my flash drive. That also was stuck at the checking battery state. but i was able to download ubuntu through the install option on the grub menu. And I can access the terminal on that option.

Unless I'm missing something is there another way that i can get the file info?

Page 81 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast