Page 78 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Yes, you need to use that xorg.conf...
    I am using this xorg.conf and I still get black background with white unreadable font 'blocks' that changes during boot process to white background with unreadable black character marks. Ending with what appears to be a login prompt with no GUI.

When booting in recovery kernel, the screen renders proper readable fonts. So, the monitor, abeit old, still works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdn View Post
    I am using this xorg.conf and I still get black background with white unreadable font 'blocks' that changes during boot process to white background with unreadable black character marks. Ending with what appears to be a login prompt with no GUI.

When booting in recovery kernel, the screen renders proper readable fonts. So, the monitor, abeit old, still works.
    We know the standard 3.0.12 kernel is not working for you as a default load. I'm not sure what the difference is when booting in recovery mode... I'll have to research that tonight to see if that sheds light on anything...

Do you still have any of the 2.6.3x.xx kernels in your grub menu under "Previous kernels"? Do they do the same booting on them?

If so, then maybe a kernel bug... Bogan (posting currently in this thread) seems to be having a slight issue with this last kernel (Panels)...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 29th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

when I boot with the Ubuntu cd--I get the Ubuntu logo, keyboard etc--and it gets to the purple screen, and stays on it for a long time, but it eventually comes to : the installer encountered an unrecoverable error. a desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again.

is it possible to "format all" and have a new install? I do NOT have to save anything. thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

This should answer your last post, #774 also...
    I want to avoid the changes in that old script if I can avoid them. All you had to say was "performance penalty" to put me off.

I found a way to set the graphics mode that doesn't give me that "deprecated" warning that using "vga=xxx," which worked otherwise, was giving me.

The solution was to use "GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=<resolution>" instead of "vga=xxx."

My /etc/default/grub now looks like this:
    Code:
    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" vga=0x031a"

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
    # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
    # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
    #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x32
    #GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768x32
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024x32
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024x32

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
    #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
    #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
    I had to do a little experimenting, because 1280x1024x16 didn't work--it gave me the default 640x480--whereas 1280x1024x32 does work well except for being shifted to the left by about 12 pixels. (I wish I could find a fix for that!)

As you can see in the file above, I have commented out the other resolution that worked, 1024x768x32, which is centered and looks pretty good. I may use that so that the leftmost character in terminals isn't truncated if I can't figure out how to shift the display for the 1280x1024x32 that doesn't affect X, which is centered.

Thanks for all your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Do you still have any of the 2.6.3x.xx kernels in your grub menu under "Previous kernels"? Do they do the same booting on them?

I did NOT upgrade my old 11.04 install. Rather I did a fresh install of 11.10 thereby giving only the current 3.0.0-12-generic kernel. So, no previous kernels.

Time constraints have prevented me from keeping up with other threads (bogan) and in a few minutes I have to go to work. Tomorrow I will catch up on thread reading and see if bogan and my issue relate in any way.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi! MaFoElffen, Thanks for your prompt response,
    You posted:
    Sounds like your goal is the cleanup and restructure your grub menu, right?
    Wrong! The grub Menu display is fine except it is a fiddle to alter the default.
    You have 2 kernels that you say are corrupted? You don't want them in the menu or want them to be reinstalled?
    Neither! ( Actually there are 3: 2.6.38-10, -11 and -12.) They are not displayed in the grub menu, but show up in the Startup Manager list, and mess-up the default selection. (They also show on the screen during update-grub.)
    If it were possible I would like the 2.6.38-8 11.04 to be available as well as 11.10, and if it were possible, to be on the menu too. ( BUT IT IS NOT A MUST HAVE - only a passing idea.)
    I just hoped to stop them being picked up by Startup Manager, and to clean things up.
    You want to know how to do this manually?
    Yes, I thought it would be easy to get rid of them altogether, hence what I suggested.
    Tell me how you want the menu to end up as...
    The display is fine as it is, ( though it would be neat to get rid of some of the multiple entries for earlier versions of 10.10 on sda6 - 11.10 is on sda-eight) but I want to be able to switch the default easily from Linux to Windows Vista and back again.

Please post your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file...
    File herewith.
    I have no idea why, but when I last checked this I got 'no such file or folder', and when I went to it in the GUI, and opened it in gedit, I got a 'Read-only' version, so I could not edit it, even if I dared to do so.
    Chao! bogan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

HI!Bobdwn,
    You posted:
    Time constraints have prevented me from keeping up with other threads (bogan) and in a few minutes I have to go to work. Tomorrow I will catch up on thread reading and see if bogan and my issue relate in any way.
    I have kept up with your travails , and I rather doubt you will find much in my posts that refer to the cause of your symptoms. I did not get any unreadable blocks of fonts, though at one point I got whole screens full of a font in italics with circumflex accents above nearly all the characters.
    My problems were: the wrong nvidia driver in an update from 10.10 to 11.04, corrupted headers in updates to 11.04, and nvidia driver problems that stopped me getting any sort of graphics screen - even in recovery mode - after updating to 11.10.

I am no expert and would not want to appear to be offering you advice on such a technical matter. I will however, make one suggestion:

When trying out things in a text terminal and not getting the response I expected or hoped for, I got in the habit of always trying keying: Ctrl/Alt/F1, F2 and F7.

Quite often an apparent failure in the F1 screen, tty1, would produce a change in the F7 screen, whilst the F2, tty2, would continue to show a login prompt that still worked, even when tty1 had done nothing or hung-up completely.
    Similarly when things went awry in an F7 display, Ctrl/Alt/F1 sometimes revealed a change in the tty1 display as a result.
    You might find this worth trying out, if you are stuck in a text terminal, though I gather that is not your main problem..

I suppose you have tried things with a different Monitor?

Good luck, bogan
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi, thanks for your reply in posts 752 and 754
    Good news and bad news...

You could stay with GDM... First check it-
    [code]
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    [code]
    Test. If still a problem-
    Code:

sudo aptitude install -reinstall gdm
    If you delted the .Xuthority file in your home directory, it would rebuild a new profile for GDM...
    Code:

sudo rm ~/.Xauthority
    sudo reboot
    Well, neither of these 2 suggestions made any difference.
    So I tried installing lightdm, but the repository for Lucid seems to be broken.
    Then I remembered something called Slim ... installed that, made it the default, rebooted and got a logon screen! It's not perfect cos I have to enter my user name and also get prompted for password again, something to do with keyring not being unlocked. But hey, first time I've logged on that system since mid September ( so rather a lot of security updates).
    Still no closer to fixing GDM but at least I can now logon.

Cheers
    Paul

Beans
    Distro

HI Bobdwn, again.
    When I sent my post 777 I had missed MaFoElffen`s 772 post, so did not understand the reason for your comment.

Yes, I do have Panel problems with the 11.10 update, whether I boot to Gnome Classic, Unity(Ubuntu) or Unity2D. But those only come after a trouble-free boot to the full graphics screen.
    Also it is possible this is due to a bug or a fault in the 11.10 upgrade installation, and it is of course possible your installation has also got bugs.
    However, MaFoElffen said he thought this was problems the nvidia v280 driver has with Unity, and suggested the 285 driver version was not yet ready for Linux.

So, I was a bit surprised to see from your Xorg.conf file that you are using the latter.

Chao! bogan. ( made it to 50 posts!)
    Last edited by bogan; October 30th, 2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Correct file name.

Beans
    Distro

H1! paulb42,
    You posted:
    Then I remembered something called Slim ... installed that, made it the default, rebooted and got a logon screen! It's not perfect cos I have to enter my user name and also get prompted for password again, something to do with keyring not being unlocked.
    For your information, the ' keyring not being unlocked.' password request, is for the Wlan WiFi adapter to allow it to connect.
    Chao!, bogan.

Page 78 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast