Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Hi! MAFoElffen, Thanks!!
    Short response:
    !Eureka! It worked!! well 99% anyway!
    Though the result, so far, does not seem to be much different from Linux 11.10 on 2.6.38-8, except that WiFi connects almost instantly.

Slightly longer response:
    'sudo update' gives: update command not found: should it not be "sudo apt-get update"?.
    Similarly, should " reconfigure light-dm" not be " reconfigure lightdm".?
    I tried them both ways. The latter showed lightdm already selected as default.
    The update gave a long list of errors and warnings about could not resolve http://Ftp.ticklers.org....ubuntu. Presumably, because WiFi was not connected.

Even longer report:
    ' sudo nVidia uninstall' gave:
    Code:
    "ERROR: File  '/usr/lib-xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so' is not a symbolic link".  [OK].
      And: " unable to restore File 'usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so.1.2' ".  [OK].
     Then:  "uninstall 270.41.19 complete".
    'Install nvidia-current' went OK.
    ' Sudo nvidia-config' gave four warnings about unable to find CorePointer and CoreKeyboard, and them not being specified.

I can now access gedit and the Xorg.x.log files.
    The crucial bit of Xorg.5.log seems to be:
    Code:
     (EE) Failed to  load module "nvidia" ( module-specific error, 0)
    (EE) No drivers available.
    fatal server error :
    no screens found
    If you want to see any more or other files please say.

Queries:
    1. What is command to show nVidia driver version installed? Edit: Xorg.0.log shows: "NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 280.13". Is that Nvidia-current.??
    2. Does 11.10 Unity no longer support Panels??
    Clicking on Applications/Accessories/Panel gives a Launcher that pulses, but nothing changes, if I select it it goes away. ( sorry if that is off topic).

Chao! and thanks again miracle worker.
    bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; October 27th, 2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Note added to Query 1.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks, MAFoElffen.

On start up, if I allow normal (choose default kernel 3.0.0-12-generic with grub line set with "--verbose single") all boot messages are in 'white block' garbled unreadable fonts. Then a ssh access attempt complains
    Code:
    ssh: connect to host [local ip address] port 22: Connection refused
    If I choose to boot the 3.0.0-12-generic (recovery mode), all boot messages are readable and I can ssh into machine. When asked, I choose to 'resume normal boot' and boot continues to present a command prompt displayed on my monitor. Now, I can get in machine via ssh through my desktop terminal, therefore I am not trying the suggestions on post 715.

Via ssh, I have updated and upgraded to most current packages as of this morning. (Updated xserver-common (2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2), xserver-xorg-core (2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2) and other stuff this morning.)

And finally, the Mythbuntu iso disk does the same style install as the alternate cd Ubuntu (Unity) desktop disk. And uhm, I don't think this install method really matters to what you are trying to help me with. I might be wrong, though.

The content of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    # This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by

>>>>>>> snip unnecessary text <<<<<<<<<<<<

# Blacklisting various video drivers to get Nvidia working!!!
    # added by Bob
    blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist rivatv
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist nvidia-173
    blacklist nvidia-96
    contents of:
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] [10de:0221] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Code:
    cat /etc/default/grub
    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="--verbose single"
    #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vt.handoff=7"
    #GRUB_COMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=\"Linux\" vga=791"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    And finally, I cannot collect any info from /var/log/xorg.0.log as I am running in recovery mode. I think, if I remember correctly that x does not run in recovery mode.
    Code:
    cat /var/log/xorg.0.log
    cat: /var/log/xorg.0.log: No such file or directory
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi MaFoElffen

Sorry to see those error messages. I was helping someone with Kubuntu that was getting the same errors. He ended up having to reinstall to correct it. What we figured out, was that "something" either got corrupted or that files that were supposed to be removed left something orphaned...

For you- In 11.04, GDM was the Desktop Manager. For 11.10, GDM was replaced by lightdm. You shouldn't be having any meassages about GDM at all...

Try this from a command line:
    Code:

sudo apt-get remove --purge gdm ligthdm
    sudo apt-get install lightdm

Tell me how that goes...
    I'm actually on 10.04 .... but I found instructions on installing lightdm on Lucid so will try that when I'm at home

Thank you
    Paul

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Especially with your video card, (lots of experience w/ Nvidia), You'ld be very happy with the Nvidia driver compared to Nouveau. Look at the bottom of Post 1. In summary, get to a terminal session and:
    Code:
     sudo update
     sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
     sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*
     sudo apt-get install nvidia-current  
     sudo nvidia-xconfig  
     sudo apt-get upgrade
    That will install "your" drivers for your model NVidia card.

It should boot and be fine. Check this file- /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Make sure it has these 2 lines in it:
    Code:
    blacklist nouveau 
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    If not, add them.

Sidenote- I'm not recommending the newest nVidia binary (290.x). It doesn't work with unity. v285.05 works well though. If you want to use that instead... Its a bit more detailed and manual to install. I have a tutorial, if needed for that... (Post 280)

Please tell me how it goes.
    Thanks so much for the reply!

Here's how it went:

Code:
    sudo update
    I got an error "command not found," so I ran:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    The command:
    Code:
    also gave me a "command not found."
    Code:
    removed two files, nvidia-common and nvidia-desktop. When I ran:
    Code:
    it looked like it installed 280.13.
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    gave me "Warning: unable to locate/open X configuration file. New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.'
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    updated a whole slew of files.

When I rebooted, I got through to the encryption password-entry page, which is very low-resolution--maybe 640 x 480?--just like it used to be in 11.04 with the proprietary nvidia drivers before I used this workaround.

Once I entered my encryption passphrase and got to the actual Ubuntu login screen, everything looked great, and I'm writing this reply from the problem machine.

I have added the two lines for blacklisting the nouveau driver, which were not in my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file.

Thanks again for the help. I was really stuck.

I'm thinking of reinstalling with just home folder encryption instead of whole-disk encryption to get around the nasty graphics at the encryption screen, which has been an issue since 10.04. Just have to research how much loss in security that will entail.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi, Bobwdn, a suggestion from bogan:
    You posted:
    And finally, I cannot collect any info from /var/log/xorg.0.log as I am running in recovery mode. I think, if I remember correctly that x does not run in recovery mode. Code:
    cat /var/log/xorg.0.log cat: /var/log/xorg.0.log: No such file or directory
    I had similar difficulties with no such file as /var/log/xorg.0.log responses.
    Try "Xorg.0.log". The 'X' has to be uppercase, and the 'O' is a nought!
    I got caught by both.
    Chao!
    Last edited by bogan; October 27th, 2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Correct name spellingfor Bobwdn
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Tried it---then rebooted--the computer goes to Stopping System V runlevel compatibility withj [ok] on the the right corner.

Beans

Hey MAFoElffen,

I tried your suggestion and got the following results...

code
    sudo update
    came back with 'command not found'

code
    also came back 'command not found'

code
    gave me 'E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem'

Also, of the many choices of versions to attempt to edit from the GRUB menu, I assume that I'm looking for 2.XX.XX for the kernel, not the first listed 3.XX.XX? Is that correct? Since I just reinstalled 11.10 to run alongside the auto-updated 11.10, I assume that I'm looking for the slightly older one...

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi! MAFoElffen, Thanks!!
    Short response:
    !Eureka! It worked!! well 99% anyway!
    Though the result, so far, does not seem to be much different from Linux 11.10 on 2.6.38-8, except that WiFi connects almost instantly.

Slightly longer response:
    'sudo update' gives: update command not found: should it not be "sudo apt-get update"?.
    Similarly, should " reconfigure light-dm" not be " reconfigure lightdm".?
    I tried them both ways. The latter showed lightdm already selected as default.
    The update gave a long list of errors and warnings about could not resolve http://Ftp.ticklers.org....ubuntu. Presumably, because WiFi was not connected.

Even longer report:
    ' sudo nVidia uninstall' gave:
    Code:
    "ERROR: File  '/usr/lib-xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so' is not a symbolic link".  [OK].
      And: " unable to restore File 'usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so.1.2' ".  [OK].
     Then:  "uninstall 270.41.19 complete".
    'Install nvidia-current' went OK.
    ' Sudo nvidia-config' gave four warnings about unable to find CorePointer and CoreKeyboard, and them not being specified.

I can now access gedit and the Xorg.x.log files.
    The crucial bit of Xorg.5.log seems to be:
    Code:
     (EE) Failed to  load module "nvidia" ( module-specific error, 0)
    (EE) No drivers available.
    fatal server error :
    no screens found
    If you want to see any more or other files please say.

Queries:
    1. What is command to show nVidia driver version installed? Edit: Xorg.0.log shows: "NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 280.13". Is that Nvidia-current.??
    2. Does 11.10 Unity no longer support Panels??
    Clicking on Applications/Accessories/Panel gives a Launcher that pulses, but nothing changes, if I select it it goes away. ( sorry if that is off topic).

Chao! and thanks again miracle worker.
    bogan.
    yes- was my typo's... too many long hours with no sleep. (Dr's are checking into that.)

I beleive either 280.13 or 285.05 is nvidia current now. In xorg logs ) is current, 5 is 5 times past tense. If not 285 yet it will be soon. On the panel problem, if you keep with current, it will automatically update itself to whatever is current in the Ubuntu updates. (Unlike the binary that you have to tell it to update. When it gets to the 285, the panel problem should go away. 280 has some slight problems with unity, but only for some people with older hardware.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linux4me View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply!

Here's how it went:

Code:
    sudo update
    I got an error "command not found," so I ran:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    The command:
    Code:
    also gave me a "command not found."
    Code:
    removed two files, nvidia-common and nvidia-desktop. When I ran:
    Code:
    it looked like it installed 280.13.
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    gave me "Warning: unable to locate/open X configuration file. New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.'
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    updated a whole slew of files.

When I rebooted, I got through to the encryption password-entry page, which is very low-resolution--maybe 640 x 480?--just like it used to be in 11.04 with the proprietary nvidia drivers before I used this workaround.

Once I entered my encryption passphrase and got to the actual Ubuntu login screen, everything looked great, and I'm writing this reply from the problem machine.

I have added the two lines for blacklisting the nouveau driver, which were not in my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file.

Thanks again for the help. I was really stuck.

I'm thinking of reinstalling with just home folder encryption instead of whole-disk encryption to get around the nasty graphics at the encryption screen, which has been an issue since 10.04. Just have to research how much loss in security that will entail.
    What your previous workaround's script did is in about midway in post 1...
    - Open /etc/default/grub with preveleges...
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    Say you want the grub menu and all before the graphics boot to be 1025x798 24bit...You would look for the line that said
    Code:
    #GFXMODE=640x480
    Uncommented it and change the resolution and depth (the depth is optional) to
    Code:
    GFXMODE=1024x768x24
    The rest of that script installs and configures ubsafb (and x86d). It worked with 10.04 and 10.10 in replacement of the driver's framebuffer.... I believe when you are dealing with the newer Nvidia and ATI drivers, that has some holes in it.

ubsafb is an old and limited driver with limited support of reslotions and absolutely no acceleration at all.

Starting with 11.04, 11.10 and now 12.04 (I'm testing now)... Might as well say since GNU Grub 1.99~RC1 and newer- The graphics mode Grub passed via grub through kms seems to take care of take just fine without anything additional. ...At least in my tests.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdn View Post
    Thanks, MAFoElffen.

On start up, if I allow normal (choose default kernel 3.0.0-12-generic with grub line set with "--verbose single") all boot messages are in 'white block' garbled unreadable fonts. Then a ssh access attempt complains
    Code:
    ssh: connect to host [local ip address] port 22: Connection refused
    If I choose to boot the 3.0.0-12-generic (recovery mode), all boot messages are readable and I can ssh into machine. When asked, I choose to 'resume normal boot' and boot continues to present a command prompt displayed on my monitor. Now, I can get in machine via ssh through my desktop terminal, therefore I am not trying the suggestions on post 715.

Via ssh, I have updated and upgraded to most current packages as of this morning. (Updated xserver-common (2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2), xserver-xorg-core (2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2) and other stuff this morning.)

And finally, the Mythbuntu iso disk does the same style install as the alternate cd Ubuntu (Unity) desktop disk. And uhm, I don't think this install method really matters to what you are trying to help me with. I might be wrong, though.

The content of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    # This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by

>>>>>>> snip unnecessary text <<<<<<<<<<<<

# Blacklisting various video drivers to get Nvidia working!!!
    # added by Bob
    blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist rivatv
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist nvidia-173
    blacklist nvidia-96
    contents of:
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] [10de:0221] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Code:
    cat /etc/default/grub
    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="--verbose single"
    #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vt.handoff=7"
    #GRUB_COMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=\"Linux\" vga=791"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    And finally, I cannot collect any info from /var/log/xorg.0.log as I am running in recovery mode. I think, if I remember correctly that x does not run in recovery mode.
    Code:
    cat /var/log/xorg.0.log
    cat: /var/log/xorg.0.log: No such file or directory
    Thanks.
    Okay, so putting "=verbose single" there is going to make it permanent (until changed back) that it will boot to a TTY Text Console. Wasn't my instaruction to do that temporarily in Grub on-the-fly?

xorg.0.log should be Xorg.0.log with a capitol X...
    From a tty text console it booted okay with no errors into a text console?

Page 75 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast