Hi! MAFoElffen, Sorry, I thought your knowing how my set-up got there would enable you understand what needed to be done.
1. What is ypur chief complaint?
2. What does your computer do?
3. On boot, how far does it get before it locks up?
4. Please post the output of "lspci -vnn | grep VGA" and,
5. your /var/log/xorg.0.log file.
1. I cannot get updated Ubuntu 11.10 to run beyond a text login, into a graphics screen.
2. When, in the grub menu, I select Linux10.04, 2.6.32-34, it runs perfectly normally.
When I select Linux11.10, 3.0.0-12, it goes ( with variations ) to a text login or a root prompt.
The first shows
, The second shows text ( see below ) and "root@alan-MS-7318~#"; if I enter 'exit' and press return, it shows additional text ending in;
ubuntu 11.10 alan-MS-7318 tty1
In both cases, entering
*Checking battery state...
does nothing visible and
sudo service gdm start
gdm start/running. process xxxx
shows nothing else.
Sudo gedit xxx
Cannot open display
'Ctrl-Alt-F7' gives a blank black screen with a small flashing cursor, whether gdm has been started or not; in some cases it goes direct to this.
When I select Linux11.10, 3.0.0-12 recovery, it goes into a black blank screen indefinitely; but if I enter 'Ctrl-Alt-Del', after 20 seconds or so it goes to the blank black screen with a small flashing cursor and then responds to 'Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2' similarly to the above.
3a. Text before login prompt:
3b. Text before root prompt ( Also sometimes before login prompt):
"Ext4-fs (sda8) mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
Begin: Running .scripts/local-bottom ... done.
Begin: Running .scripts/init-bottom ... done.
( see note above for added text if 'exit' is entered.) Hope this is enough to identify.
"init: Handling starting event
init: udev state changed from starting to pre-start
init: udev state changed from pre-start to spawned"
5. I cannot post my /var/log/xorg.0.log file. Nor even my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. As gedit "Cannot open display".
lspci -vnn | grep VGA
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7650 GS] [10de:0390] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
I assume the only way I could do would be to mount sda8 11.10 from sda6 10.04.
Sorry it is not as concise as I would hope but it never seems to produce the same results twice running. Chao! bogan.