Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunka-Matata View Post
    RE: Post # 513 quoted above:

@MAFoElffen, the research on getting to the bottom of this Escape sequence problem is appreciated. Would you mind editing the Red highlighted section, changing the first quotation mark (which is a single quotation mark) to a double quotation mark if that is indeed what it should be? Thank you.
    Done... Thanks for catching the TYPO on that...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Henze View Post
    Today installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my new Lenovo Thinkpad L520. (Intel HD Graphics 3000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology)

As soon as I boot for the first time I see grey vertical lines and my mouse pointer. All the key combo's I try don't give any results.

The strange part is comming in here, As soon as I connect my DVI monitor to my DisplayPort the computer show's my desktop and start responding.

Anybody an idea?

Thanks for your effort in advance!
    -- Sorry about the delayed response -- (Medial Treatments)

Both Jim and I have some hardware with Intel GPU's... Usually have no problems with them and Ubuntu. I'll do some checking to see if there's something particular with "your" hardware combination.

Was this on a new/fresh install of 11.04 or an upgrade from 10.10?

From what you described, if on a fresh install, I would just reinstall and see if it's still the same (before investing more time and resources).

EDIT- Where in the process (meaning what screen) is it getting to where you are describing this? After thinking about this, I was thinking if this is "NOT" at the GDM screen / meanig that it gets passed GDM and trying to the panels... then it would be a compiz or nautilus issue... which reinstalling or fixng with a few commands would fix it. I would need to know "where" it was getting to before any of that.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 20th, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I seem to be having the same problem as many... I've just fresh installed Ubuntu 11.04, the LiveCD runs fine yet, but after install my monitor displays a black screen stating "Cannot display this video mode". I've tried CTRL + ALT + F1 - 6 but nothing happens.

It's not booting Grub for some reason.

Following this thread, I've tried commenting out GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 and changing GRUG_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to = "quiet splash vga=775"

Tried GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

Tried installing the whole nvidia-current and running nvidia-xconfig from page 1.

I've also tried booting from the LiveCD and selecting nomodeset etc. to no effect.

There's a lot of information in this thread, and I'm trying to take it all in and figure out what's useful in my case. Just going through a lot of trial and error, but I've been at it all day now and would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction

My monitor's optimal resolution is 1280x1024 and I have an old nvidia graphics card (7600GT).

[Update]
    I missed a key piece of information among all the text:

After making changed to /etc/default/grub, you need to run
    sudo update-grub

I did this after mounting the hard drive (as per nvidia tutorial on page one)

Grub now boots into text more. \o/
    Last edited by Lord C; August 21st, 2011 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lord C View Post
    I seem to be having the same problem as many... I've just fresh installed Ubuntu 11.04, the LiveCD runs fine yet, but after install my monitor displays a black screen stating "Cannot display this video mode". I've tried CTRL + ALT + F1 - 6 but nothing happens.

It's not booting Grub for some reason.

Following this thread, I've tried commenting out GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 and changing GRUG_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to = "quiet splash vga=775"

Tried GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

Tried installing the whole nvidia-current and running nvidia-xconfig from page 1.

I've also tried booting from the LiveCD and selecting nomodeset etc. to no effect.

There's a lot of information in this thread, and I'm trying to take it all in and figure out what's useful in my case. Just going through a lot of trial and error, but I've been at it all day now and would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction

My monitor's optimal resolution is 1280x1024 and I have an old nvidia graphics card (7600GT).

[Update]
    I missed a key piece of information among all the text:

After making changed to /etc/default/grub, you need to run
    sudo update-grub

I did this after mounting the hard drive (as per nvidia tutorial on page one)

Grub now boots into text more. \o/
    And how is it going for you now?

Beans

Hello,

I am having the same blinking cursor problem but none of the short cut keys work for me including shift. I'm pretty new to this so could you please explain how I edit the grub when I can't get to anything?

Thanks in advance

James

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Wraiths82 View Post
    Hello,

I am having the same blinking cursor problem but none of the short cut keys work for me including shift. I'm pretty new to this so could you please explain how I edit the grub when I can't get to anything?

Thanks in advance

James
    Here's some instructions I wrote for someone else to tweak Grub2 when it wants to "hide." They will work for you also. You may have to boot from a LiveCD and go to a terminal to edit the files to do this...
    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Next, I have users that go to my graphics sticky and said they couldn't get to a grub menu via holding down a shift key during boot. I didn't know if to believe them at first, but was wrong... Well, this test box of mine is one of those in that respect, so was a good test case for trying to get this working...

Here's what my tests with that come up-- with values of the file /etc/default, lines --> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false:
    # --and line--
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="x"

Where the values of x are:
    value = 0 --> skips over the menu / doesn't display on this box- even while holding down <Shift> Very frustrating...

value = any positive number, such as 10 --> Timer displays and counts down for the value set. Screen is black with the timer displaying in the upper left of screen. Pressing any key while the timer is present brings up the menu. This works, but still...

value = "" (meaning blank after the equals sign) > Displays the grub menu everytime without any user interaction. Wahoo! Success. (Written as "GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT= ")

It seems to work great...
    Hope this gets you further along...

Beans

the new stable natty totally locked up machine and I spent the last five hours getting to restart with anything..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by allanh46 View Post
    the new stable natty totally locked up machine and I spent the last five hours getting to restart with anything..
    Okay.... So does that translate to (?) you had been using 11.04 and was fine, but then tried 11.04 again today and was not? That after 5 hours, you are now fine again?

Your post is a little vague... Are you having a problem and do you need assistance?

Edit-- I was not aware there was a "new stable" 11.04... 11.04 would be a snapshot with user added incremental updates.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 28th, 2011 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

MAFoElffen:
    Next, I have users that go to my graphics sticky and said they couldn't get to a grub menu via holding down a shift key during boot
    I've seen that method described a bit differently recently. The information said to 'hit the shift key repeatedly' instead of holding it down. I've had it work by holding down, and hitting it repeatedly too. Have you seen that too?
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunka-Matata View Post

'hit the shift key repeatedly'
    When I started this sticky (back in May?*) , that's the way I recommended to people... and I still think is the preferred method for people to try first.

The GNU Grub Doc's say to hold down the <shift> key on boot <> But having about 7-8 test machine's here and via helping other users for a while... That seems to cause a keyboard overflow in over half of them.

If it still doesn't work--- then this other method will force it.

Notes:
    * - Actually I started writing this sticky during Dev testing for 11.04... Knowing it was going to become an issue for users.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 28th, 2011 at 08:57 PM.

Page 53 of 139 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast