Page 52 of 139 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by 007casper View Post
    your nvidia thread was super. I cant thank you enough!!! Cheers!

I tried all variables one at a time.
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset acpi_osi=\"Linux\"
    and it didnt work.

but for me vga=0x101 worked. It posts a funky message during boot. I got to find out what it says during boot. It also boots slower than before. However, it works. Thats what matters.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vga=0x101"
    Code:
    GRUB> echo $linux_gfx_mode
    echo $gfxmode
     set gfxmode=2560x1600
    load_video (this line didnt work for me)
    insmod gfxterm
     GRUB> vbeinfo
    append/adding a vga=xxx, where xxx is the mode.

thank you.
    You're welcome... Note on the acpi_osi= switch... Looks like you found that in one of the later posts after the 3 post... There not a problem with that switch, but rather with a bug in grub2 and how it applies quotation marks.

How it appears and how it is supposed to be to the kernel is: acpi="Operating System To Mimic Name". Grub2 strips out the question marks and the kernel would then see of that parameter as param=acpi_osi with a value=Operating, param=System with value=to (errors), param=Mimic with value-Name (errors)..l

Somewhere's after that post, Jim and I played with this switch and tried to use escape characters, whch Grub2 didn't recognize either. I finally compiles a kernel with all the debugging symbols in it to see what was going on and well...

Since "Linux" in one singular word (no spaces), it didn't matter if the quotation mark were missing if you remove them in that switch... So the correct is:
    Code:
    acpi_osi=Linux
    I had updated the first post (page 1), but didn't go through the later posts to correct them. I'm sorry possible confusion on that...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for furthering our work on that dang parameter Mike. Where did you end up finding this? I've been looking in depth into multi-boot for grub2 so I've looked at lots of documentation and haven't seen this.

I've been using the back slash escape character to get "Linux" into the grub config file on my own box. Does that get interpreted the same as without quotes?
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    Thanks for furthering our work on that dang parameter Mike. Where did you end up finding this? I've been looking in depth into multi-boot for grub2 so I've looked at lots of documentation and haven't seen this.

I've been using the back slash escape character to get "Linux" into the grub config file on my own box. Does that get interpreted the same as without quotes?
    acpi_osi=Linux or acpi_osi="Linux" will both end up as param=acpi-_osi with value=Linux...

acpi_osi=\"Linux\" ended up as a value=\Linux\ and acpi_osi=/"Linux/" as value=/Linux/... You can see that adding an escape character didn't work. You can verify this by looking at your xorg.x.log, which records the kernel boot line- and it will show what was used, without having to use a special debugging kernel to trace it.

You were the one that got me going on finding this out, Jim. With debugging symbols compiled in, I set breaks and traced/watched the parameters and values it was passing (tedious), were I could see what was going on... Once I found that out, it showed it wasn't just the os_prober, like we originally thought, but Grub2 itself.

I went upstream to GNU Grub's Bug Tracker (Savannah), thinking we were on to something "new"... Seemed to be a known problem that is already reported up there. (LOL) I really never realized that it wasn't working (as it should have) until you pointed it out to me.

For "us" it's a non-problem, because if we use "Linux" or Linux, that one word parameter gets passed the same. For users that need to pass specific Windows versions, something like "!Windows 2006", Grub2's stripping the quotation marks out and having that space in there-> is going to cause an error, because of the two words and no way to encapsulate/pass a multiple word string as a value.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 20th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    sir nice suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    acpi_osi=Linux or acpi_osi="Linux" will both end up as param=acpi-_osi with value=Linux...

acpi_osi=\'Linux\" ended up as a value=\Linux\ and acpi_osi=/"Linux/" as value=/Linux/... You can see that adding an escape character didn't work. You can verify this by looking at your xorg.x.log, which records the kernel boot line- and it will show what was used, without having to use a special debugging kernel to trace it.

You were the one that got me going on finding this out, Jim. With debugging symbols compiled in, I set breaks and traced/watched the parameters and values it was passing (tedious), were I could see what was going on... Once I found that out, it showed it wasn't just the os_prober, like we originally thought, but Grub2 itself.

I went upstream to GNU Grub's Bug Tracker (Savannah), thinking we were on to something "new"... Seemed to be a known problem that is already reported up there. (LOL) I really never realized that it wasn't working (as it should have) until you pointed it out to me.

For "us" it's a non-problem, because if we use "Linux" or Linux, that one word parameter gets passed the same. For users that need to pass specific Windows versions, something like "!Windows 2006", Grub2's stripping the quotation marks out and having that space in there-> is going to cause an error, because of the two words and no way to encapsulate/pass a multiple word string as a value.
    Mike- Sure does seem hard to get to the bottom of this for such a small thing. I do however have different results than you're reporting, I think.

In my etc/default/grub file the line is this:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=\"Linux\""
    This of course gets used by grub-mkconfig that is run by update-grub (along with the scripts in /etc/grub.d) to create the /boot/grub.cfg setting. Here is the result from my grub.cfg file.
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic root=UUID=674654cd-01b0-4dc2-9f8e-f80278b5005d ro quiet splash acpi_osi="Linux" vt.handoff=7
    As you can see, it looks to me like the \ escape characters properly created the desired parenthesis bracketed parameter. Now whether or not this is properly passed on from here, I don't know. This is the result in my Xorg.0.log.
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic root=UUID=674654cd-01b0-4dc2-9f8e-f80278b5005d ro quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux vt.handoff=7
    It seems to me this is processed as needed and as would be required for multi word parameters by grub at least as far as the boot command line. I can't speak to the use of this by X but I'm wondering if there is a problem handling this that it may be in X. What do you think?
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

(edited)
    This of course gets used by grub-mkconfig that is run by update-grub (along with the scripts in /etc/grub.d) to create the /boot/grub.cfg setting. Here is the result from my grub.cfg file.

As you can see, it looks to me like the \ escape characters properly created the desired parenthesis bracketed parameter.
    On the parsor of grub-mkconfig- yes. It's taking the escape character... Like you and I had found before... But Grub2 itself doesn't. Look at the kernel boot line of yours below... it stripped the quotation marks out. The problem I was getting slammed by users by > If they tried to add the escape characters via a grub menu edit > Then grub was passing a partial escape character and failing (grub-mkconfig recognises tham <> grub2 doesn't.)
    Now whether or not this is properly passed on from here, I don't know. This is the result in my Xorg.0.log.
    Code:
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic  root=UUID=674654cd-01b0-4dc2-9f8e-f80278b5005d ro quiet splash  acpi_osi=Linux vt.handoff=7
    So "We" (you & I) know what is going on with it <> confusing to users we have to pass info on to about it. If we just say "forget the quotation mark in that switch" for using apci_osi=Linux... It ends up the same to the kernel... Because Grub2 is going to strip out those quotation marks anyways.
    It seems to me this is processed as needed and as would be required for multi word parameters by grub at least as far as the boot command line. I can't speak to the use of this by X but I'm wondering if there is a problem handling this that it may be in X. What do you think?
    If X needs that switch, as far as I can tell from the param= and value= that the kernel takes and passes to X... a single word still comes out correct.

Like I said, for just the single word Linux, we can do it as we want (Linux or "LInux") and it will end up the same.... We could do overkill of \"Linux]" if only in the /etc/default/grub, becuase it is processed by grub-mkconfig, which after all is said and done, is going to end up as the previous 2 methods...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 30th, 2011 at 01:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Not really a graphics issue, but can be eaily mistaken as one (because they go to blackscreens):

Re: Ubuntu Server Edition Install disk, Freezes and Blackscreen Issues.

For some reason, if the hardware (especially floppy drive) fails and the BIOS settings are set to something that the disk sees diffrent... there is blackscreen and system lockup issues at different parts of the install.

On the floppy issue- The disk will lockup at a blackscreen on initial boot of the Install disk.

On other drives, if there is a problem with a drive that is in the primary BIOS or in a Hardware RAID BIOS, when you select install from the main menu, it will then lockup at the next screen with a blackscreen.

It installing with RAID and there is a problem with the RAID definition, it will lock up at the partitioning application init...

Beans

Finally got my figured out. I just installed 11.04 last night and kept getting a blinking cursor/blank screen after the grub menu.

After reading this post, editing my grub and adding nomodeset to the end fixed my issue.

Thank you for all the help.

Beans

Question Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Today installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my new Lenovo Thinkpad L520. (Intel HD Graphics 3000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology)

As soon as I boot for the first time I see grey vertical lines and my mouse pointer. All the key combo's I try don't give any results.

The strange part is comming in here, As soon as I connect my DVI monitor to my DisplayPort the computer show's my desktop and start responding.

Anybody an idea?

Thanks for your effort in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post

acpi_osi=\'Linux\" ended up as a value=\Linux\ and acpi_osi=/"Linux/" as value=/Linux/... You can see that adding an escape character didn't work. You can verify this by looking at your xorg.x.log, which records the kernel boot line- and it will show what was used, without having to use a special debugging kernel to trace it.

RE: Post # 513 quoted above:

@MAFoElffen, the research on getting to the bottom of this Escape sequence problem is appreciated. Would you mind editing the Red highlighted section, changing the first quotation mark (which is a single quotation mark) to a double quotation mark if that is indeed what it should be? Thank you.
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Page 52 of 139 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast