Page 22 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    It sounds to me like your graphics driver isn't providing a mode that high. Please start with the troubleshooting flow chart in post 1 of this thread. That will help me know more about the specifics of what can best be done to resolve this. What video card do you have by the way? I don't want to start asking you to do this or that until I know how your boot process goes. Walk through that troubleshooting flow chart and post the results please.
    OK, thank you.

Here's the run down.

My graphics card is an older 64-MB AGP, Radeon 9000 (RV250).

I tried to install 11.04 on a clean HD after I burned the iso image and copied it to CD with Infrarecorder. That got me no where except to the “oversize recommend mode 1280x1024” error and then my monitor turned off.

I then downloaded and burned a copy of the alternate iso and used it to install. Got to the same place as above. The next time I tried to install from the alternate CD I pressed the 'shift' key which dumped me to a screen where I could choose: “Run Ubuntu with Linux 2.6.38.8-generic (recovery mode)” which I chose.

From there I ended up at a menu of several choices of which I chose: “Run Ubuntu in low-graphics mode for just one session”. There was also an option to reconfigure my graphics card at this menu. But that is a dead end. When I choose it I get right back to that menu.

So I am booted into and running 11.04 in recovery/low graphics mode. I have my wireless running and have been able to 'reload' the Ubuntu packages thereby getting them up to date. In fact I'm posting this from Ubuntu/Firefox.

What I don't know how to do is check and, if necessary, change the driver for my graphics card.

Would appreciate a 'nudge' in the right direction or, with these symptoms, where to enter into your excellent flowchart.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mdwpm View Post
    OK, thank you.

Here's the run down.

My graphics card is an older 64-MB AGP, Radeon 9000 (RV250).

I tried to install 11.04 on a clean HD after I burned the iso image and copied it to CD with Infrarecorder. That got me no where except to the “oversize recommend mode 1280x1024” error and then my monitor turned off.

I then downloaded and burned a copy of the alternate iso and used it to install. Got to the same place as above. The next time I tried to install from the alternate CD I pressed the 'shift' key which dumped me to a screen where I could choose: “Run Ubuntu with Linux 2.6.38.8-generic (recovery mode)” which I chose.

From there I ended up at a menu of several choices of which I chose: “Run Ubuntu in low-graphics mode for just one session”. There was also an option to reconfigure my graphics card at this menu. But that is a dead end. When I choose it I get right back to that menu.

So I am booted into and running 11.04 in recovery/low graphics mode. I have my wireless running and have been able to 'reload' the Ubuntu packages thereby getting them up to date. In fact I'm posting this from Ubuntu/Firefox.

What I don't know how to do is check and, if necessary, change the driver for my graphics card.

Would appreciate a 'nudge' in the right direction or, with these symptoms, where to enter into your excellent flowchart.

Thanks again,
    Jim
    This is the link to installing the open source driver for your card. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

It's possible that you'll need to remove fglrx so you may need this link. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...from%20scratch

You'll see from this link that there is a command you can run to see if you can run unity. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Demystifying...reRequirements
    Code:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    The open source radeon driver should enable KMS, kernel mode settings. This thread covers that in quite a bit of detail, and takes us to the troubleshooting flow chart. Start at step one. You should be able to press shift to get the grub menu but if that isn't working, and it sounds like you did have trouble with that, boot to the cd again so that you can get to grub editing. As step one shows, the goal is to comment out the grub hidden timeout so you can get the grub menu.

Then you go on to step 2. I'm going out for just a few minutes and then I'll boot to grub and get refreshed on doing what you need there. Hopefully this and the open source driver will solve your issues but I'll stay on this with you.

Jim
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro

Jim, if you have trouble getting to a grub edit screen but can get to a command prompt as it sounds like you were, do this.
    Run the commands as follows:
    Code:
    cd /etc/default
    sudo vi grub
    Arrow to the location you want to edit and then press lower case i for insert. Make your insertion, backspace and delete also work in that mode. Press escape to exit insert mode. Type :wq to write and quit.

Run this to update your changes to grub, and then reboot.
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Blasphemist posted:
    Quote --------------------------------------------
    I'm looking over your posts bogan. Let me know when you're back at this and if things are any different this morning. In the mean time I'll go through the results and detail you posted above.
    .....Are you where a boot from power off is successful?
    EndQuote -------------------------------

Hi! Blasphemist, Short answer to above: Yes. Mostly.
    Long answer: See attached File BootInfo3

Thanks for your Link for manuals
    For Some reason this thread is currently not showing anything posted since 8 hours ago - your post to Jim,
    luckily I had seen you later post to me, so here goes.

Unfortunatly, I seem to put a hex on things and the attachment would not operate: Error invalid file but it is omly 5.6 Kb so it is not that.

Here is the full text:

Hi! Blasphemist, Short answer to above: Yes. Mostly.
    Long answer: I just read a quote from Henry Kissinger that the Chinese believe a solution is an entry ticket to another problem. To paraphrase Lao Tse: The Problem has got better but the Solution has got worse.
    I am not going to apologise for my ignorance about Unity or Gnome, Symantic, Compiz, X sessions, or how the new 11.04 differs from previous versions. I have searched diligently for manuals and got virtually nothing. None of the following worked:
    //ubuntu-manual.org
    www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download man.html (there was an error inthe link, it should have been 'main', but it still did not get me a manual.)
    wwwq.googlubuntu.com
    www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual.html#linux
    (Except,on the sixth attempt, PocketHandbook, which does not mention Unity.
    So thanks for the further links.

I just found that:

Code:
    sudo 'Unity' man
    gives me a manual. WoW!!
    I also just realised that " Press # to enclose high-lighted Code in a box", meant: "Click on the '#' Icon above.", not: "Press the '#' key on your keyboard".

So, bitching over, The current situation is that:
    1. I have not had any difficulty with the Grub menu, or in booting into Ubuntu 11.04 for what seems to be a long time; though I can not pinpoint exactly what actions cured that.
    2. Suspend and Hibernate still crash to the Stripey Screen on reset button resume. That is with both Monitors, (I have not tried it on the DEll 64bit).
    3. After running 'sudo apt-get remove --purge linux-headers-generic' was rejected, I ran 'sudo apt-get update' & 'sudo apt-get upgrade', The first gave a screen of text with 'failed to resolve' messages, and ended with a warning that it might not have been correctly installed. When I ran it again now, to get the exact message, it ran to completion without error messages.
    4. I found, in another post, advice to run 'sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic', so I tried that. It gave a screen of text with 'failed to resolve' messages, as did apt-get update, and ended with the suggestion to run sudo apt-get upgdrade -fix_missing, ( or some such,) which I tried and got the same as before. When I ran --reinstall linux-headers... again now to get the exact message it ran to completion without error messages, as had apt-get update.
    5.Trying to install the nvidia video drivers has confirmed all my previous ambivalence about it. First, I decided, at this stage, not to do the 'remove --purge' bit, and I am very glad of it now. I tried the 'Additional Drivers' route, as that seemed to be the simplest.
    It only listed v173 and the 'current', which showed: 'Not Active'. The nvidia ReadMe file said to be sure it was the right version, but I could not find out what version it was, so I went no further.
    I then tried to run the downoaded .run file directly from a root terminal; after a few moments, it opened a graphics window with the follwing message:

Code:
    NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 (270.41.19)
      ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before            
             installing.  For further details, please see the section INSTALLING   
             THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver         
             download page at www.nvidia.com.
    |OK|
    There is, as might be expected, no info as to how to do that.
    The nVidia Install info says "Before you begin..,exit the X Server and terminate all OpenGL applications...You should also set the default runlevel such that it will boot to a VGA console, and not directly into X,...elsewhere it says: Remove the Nouveau driver before installing NVIDIA.( I've done that)...Elsewhere again it says:...and change your default runlevel.

I dont have clue how to do all that and the nVidia Info file lists numbers of alterations to Xconfguration files and elsewhere that are necessary.
    There is an option to boot to a 'Recovery Console' in 'Login Screen'; but if I set that, how am I going to get back to Ubuntu Classic.
    Is there a Cli command that will allow me to do that?

It frightens me stiff; and I thought Windows was complex and difficult to find what you want, when I went from the AMIGA to a PC.

It is especially ironic that to find a simple introduction to Linux and how to use it, that I had to go to a file intended to tell you how to install a Driver: - AppendicsJ, Tips for New Linux Users > > NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver README and Installation Guide.
    So, for now at least, I am leaving the video driver as it is, until I can study what I have got so far.

6. I agree that a lot of the trouble I found with the Menus and Screen modes of display was that there had been no easily accessible information about the changes; which were so great that it was - and still is, in some cases -impossible to know where to look, or to find and run programs.
    7. I have managed to make a work-round and set up things to suit my needs, though it is a bit of a bodge-up. It would help if I could get the Applications Launcher to work as it does when booted to Ubuntu, and not to Ubuntu Classic, but presumably that is a feature only available in Unity.

Signing off to watch the Monaco Grand Prix. Bogan.

Beans
    Distro

Bogan, hope your enjoying the race. You have been having lots of challenges. Trust me, by far the majority of installs are quite painless. There are just so many variations of platform and other variables that there will always be puzzles that happen to challenge us. To top it off Unity is the start of a transition away from Gnome 2.x as Gnome development is now on Gnome 3 and its shell. I made a usb stick with a bunch of ubunutu and other linux flavors on it including Fedora 15. I love the Gnome 3 shell and it is quite like the unity plugin on Gnome 2.

The command you gave for the unity manual isn't quite right. The unity manual command is the same as for other command manuals.
    Code:
    man unity
    This manual isn't very complete in my opinion and not real helpful but is a start. I still recommend the unity power users guide from Jorge as previously posted and it has links to other sites that are helpful. There are also more helpful sites and posts on here every day.

As for you running unity, from what I can see you should be able to run it with the driver you have installed. For your question about the launcher capability in classic, I recommend Docky and not unity. There is another option, unity 2D, that you could install but I wouldn't go there just yet. In classic, you can install Docky from the software center.

You'll see a lot of posts in these forums that tell you to use commands for things that can be done from GUI programs. That is likely the best way to do things for a number of reasons but can be off putting for many users, especially those new to Linux. In your case, Synaptic package manager could have been used to fix your packages and headers but I believe you are past that now anyway.

Many of us are willing to jump into things before we know everything we should about what we are about to do. You now seem to be in a position to study up on the nvidia open source and proprietary drivers, which of them best support your gpu and just how to install them. MAFoElffen has done a lot of that study and research and posted a lot of great help in this thread. The only pc that I support that uses nvidia is running linux mint and hasn't had any issues for me to address. It's my brothers laptop and I haven't wanted fix what isn't broken. Still, I've worked with some people on nvidia issues and done my own learning. Google is your friend for finding information as are these forums. I'm not sure you aren't running the best driver for you so I recommend doing research and asking questions here before changing to another driver version. I recommend that you start with figuring out what version if any you think is going to work better that what you have installed. Ask questions here about what makes you think it will improve things. It's likely that in doing that research you'll see how to implement that driver but ask questions about that too, before you are in the middle of it. I think you've already come to this conclusion. There are a number of commands you can use to help see just what the details are of what you are running now that are described in this thread.

It sounds to me like you do have to login at boot. If you are by some chance using auto login, I recommend you change that for now. At the login screen you can choose the session type, for that session. That choice is sticky meaning at the next boot your previous choice is the default but you can change at each login. Does that answer your question about getting back to classic after using unity or the recovery console?

Lastly, I wish this had all gone smoother for you but it is really true that if it had you wouldn't have learned nearly as much. Most installs don't require nearly all this work and then when something doesn't work as expected or understood the user is more lost than you will be. Glass half full you know.
    Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Blasphemist posted:
    It sounds to me like you do have to login at boot. If you are by some chance using auto login, I recommend you change that for now. At the login screen you can choose the session type, for that session. That choice is sticky meaning at the next boot your previous choice is the default but you can change at each login. Does that answer your question about getting back to classic after using unity or the recovery console?
    Hi! again.
    Actually, I AM using Auto Login, and had not seen the consequences; I have put the Login Screen Launcher at the top-right of the top Panel, for ease of access.
    Yes. That largely answers my worries about getting trapped in a default boot to a Console. What about terminating all OpenGL applications?
    Will booting to the Recovery Console evert that need?

I had not tried the Recovery mode since I first installed 11,04, when I only chose the 'Resume' and the 'Reboot after file system check' options, both of which crashed or hung-up. Now both work OK and:
    Code:
     sudo service gdm start
    gets me into what appears to be a normal Classic screen.
    So that rather confirms that something we have done has solved that issue, and the cup is a lot more than half-full!!

Presumably, to install the driver, I need to reset the default, or use the Resume mode, and stay in the Cli prompt. That is, I assume the Failsafe Graphics mode would employ the Xconfig system and OpenGL apps.
    One of the Links you gave:
    'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)'
    was very valuable; the other:
    'http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/stable/panels-addobject.html.en'
    failed to connect, with a screen I had never seen before, showing possible alternative sites. I tried three times, unsuccessfully, but now, six hours later, it connects OK. { This thread is currently not showing posts between 6 & 15 hours ago, so I can't check on whether the links I quote here are yours or not.
    'http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity'
    also worked fine.}

One thing I have learnt from the Wiki Link you gave, and it surprised me, was that Unity was installed as part of 10.10. The only things I had noticed, compared with 10.04 was the different Information Bar and the silly idea of moving the Window Buttons from the top-right to the top-left.
    I fully agree with the comments; to anyone who has to use both Windows and Linux, it is thoroughly confusing and annoying; no sooner I get used to one and I have to swap to the other.
    I had also noticed the 'Create Launcher' menu entry, but did not see any relevance or significance.

I have just spent a couple of hours on my Windows7 PC, setting my Ubuntu10.10 screen up to match what I have done on My Vista machine, which is what I am using at present.
    Interestingly, the 1.98 Grub2, on Ubuntu 10.10, also does not always show the time delay before booting to the default, nor does it operate.
    On the other hand it resumes from Suspend OK, except I had to use the reset button to awaken it, and it did not replace the gedit window I had left open.

I am pretty sure that nvidia v. 270.41.19 is the correct and best driver for my Display Adaptor, and it is that which I downloaded and tried to install. But, presumably, it is not the one that Aditional Drivers calls 'Current', as, from what I have read, it would have to have been installed already for it to be Activated.

That's it for now, or it will not be my cup that is overflowing. Alan

There seems to be something wrong with the thread, it is showing nothing for the last 5 hours.

Beans
    Distro

bogan-

If you want to install the nvidia 270 driver there are options but to prevent future kernel issues, I recommend you do it following this using the PPA and synaptic package manager.

If you choose the PPA, just go to system>administration>synaptic package manager. In synaptic, go to settings>repositories>other software(tab)>add+ then put the ppa address in. Reload when asked.
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat...ilter=maverick
    This PPA can be added to your system manually by copying the lines below and adding them to your system's software sources.
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu natty main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu natty main
    I gave you the GUI way given what I think your preferences are. This is the link to the command line method.
    https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging...allingSoftware

Either way, I believe after a reboot, though that may not be necessary, you should be able to activate this driver version through additional drivers and configure using the nvidia software.

There are other installation options, and I think you started down that route by downloading the script from nvidia. I believe that script brings with it a 50 page readme of instructions from what I've read. Again, when your kernel is next updated you'll have to go through this again if you choose that method.

Edit, this is the link to the readme for the 270 driver. http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...DME/index.html
    Last edited by Blasphemist; May 30th, 2011 at 04:20 AM. Reason: added readme link
    Jim

Beans

Hi everyone, Like every man and his dog I seem to be having trouble with the black screen /of sheer boredom/. I am trying to install Ubuntu Studio on my:

'Acer Aspire Timeline X 5820TG"
    four gig of ram,
    one gig AMD Radeon card (sticker says HD 6550M if that helps)
    Intel Core i5-480M @ 2.66 Ghz

I can get bast the black screen to console mode (i think you call it) by using "nomodeset" but as for what to do then im not sure. I can log in, but I can't get to the standard mode by the original post Anyway thanks for your time to anyone who replies

Beans
    Distro

I need to ask some questions about what has happened and what you've done so far.
    1. It sounds like you now do have the grub menu. Have you tried booting into rescue mode/low graphics? If so, how did that go?
    2. If that didn't work, did you try step 4 (loading gdm from the command prompt)? The command for that is in step 4.
    Code:
    sudo service gdm start
    I think the next step is to install a driver but the results of these questions will help determine how to go about that. If I understand what's gone on so far, following steps 3 and 4 and what happens tells us how to proceed.
    Jim

Beans
    Distro

By the way, I believe you have hybrid/switchable graphics between the radeon HD and the built in Intel. There are bugs in fglrx, the default open source driver, jockey (the additional drivers app.) and the x server.

Your card is new enough that my first reference for the open source driver doesn't mention your card, and that is not even considering the hybrid graphics. This month, a new ATI closed source driver has been released. Here is the link to that. http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/05/10...E2%80%99s-new/

I'll keep looking into how the hybrid graphics complicates making a choice on drivers in anticipation of hearing back from you.
    Jim

Page 22 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast