Results 1,371 to 1,376 of 1376

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

@A Traveller
    I realize this thread is now 137 pages, but if the solutions posted do not directly work probably better to post your own thread.
    The nVidia requires nomodeset.
    And if system if old, Lubuntu or one of the other lighter weight flavors may be a better choice.
    Light weight flavors
    Lubuntu, xubuntu, Ubuntu mate, Budgie
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for your reply and advice, oldfred, I appreciate it!

I just posted here first in case anyone spotted something in the text I posted that could help. I will go through the various steps suggested. I do recall doing the nomodeset thing on the previous occasions (as well as something to do with ro or something; can't remember, but nothing worked). I will try these again of course and post in a new thread if I still haven't managed to get anywhere. I also remember being advised to try a lighter flavour and I made sure I created a Lubuntu CD at the same time as the main Ubuntu one, because experience has thought me this would be relevant shortly!

Thanks.

Beans

Finally, Bionic Beaver is running on my DELL XPS 9343

Finally, got the Bionic Beaver running on the DELL XPS 9343. I spent the better part of two weeks trying to find a way to upgrade the existing system on the laptop to Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. I couldn't find any reports of an upgrade problem like mine despite multiple searches with DELL, Ubuntu, Canonical, and others. I saw the problem as a challenge and spent many, many hours trying to remedy the situation.

The situation as I saw it was that the online upgrade from my 16.04 LTS to 18.04.1 LTS seemed to break down from the outset. I never was able to establish a GUI (graphic user interface) that permitted me to login. Initially, I got the new gnome based gdm3 sign-on screen with all of my users identified in a vertical list but anytime I chose one, I got an immediate error with the message 'Authentication Error'.

So, I went into Recovery mode using Ubuntu Linux 18.04.1 LTS version 4.15.0.32-generic. I simplified one of my user's passwords to no avail. I tried creating a new user with a new password but that didn't work either. To make a long, long, story short, I chased down many leads and tried many fixes using Recovery mode. The Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS Recovery mode features otherwise seemed to be working OK in the tty / Terminal mode but I never established a consistent GUI based interface.
    I also had prepared a copy of Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on a bootable USB 3.0 device. Using the BIOS Setup and booting from that device seemed to work fine on the same DELL XPS that I was trying to upgrade. I had previously backed up most of my data onto other media. Ultimately after copying a few more files from Recovery mode to backup media, I launched the option to Install 18.04.1 LTS from the USB 3.0 bootable drive. In using the USB drive, I was able to determine that I had internet connection via both ethernet and wireless options and their didn't appear to be any problems with the display or other devices. I did get a return to some unwanted sensitivity of the touchpad that I had experienced with my two previous versions of Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 on the DELL XPS. That doesn't seem to be an Ubuntu issue.

The fresh installation from the bootable USB drive to Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS went 'very' smoothly and even by going particularly slowly and carefully with each step, the new installation took less than an hour.

In some ways I regretted not having taken that route in the first place. On the other hand, I learned a lot about the new version of Ubuntu using the Live Session from the USB drive. I also learned a great deal more about the intricacies of Ubuntu Linux from spending so much time as root in the Recovery mode.

In summary, I would suggest that if you decide to try to upgrade your DELL XPS laptop from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS or 16.04 LTS be prepared for some possible disappointment. On the chance that the upgrade wont work smoothly, have your data backed up in advance. Prepare bootable media so that you can try out Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on your system before you try to upgrade. If you do decide to try the upgrade rather than a new install over your existing hard drive, good luck! If you are unlucky with completing the upgrade using the Ubuntu Software Updater utility, I would suggest you can save a great deal of time by doing a new install from a USB bootable or similar device.

I still feel Ubuntu Linux and Bionic Beaver have a lot to offer if you can get past the occasionally thrilling bumps along the road.
    Last edited by oldos2er; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:50 PM. Reason: Removed email address.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bruno172 View Post
    In summary, I would suggest that if you decide to try to upgrade your DELL XPS laptop from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS or 16.04 LTS be prepared for some possible disappointment. On the chance that the upgrade wont work smoothly, have your data backed up in advance. Prepare bootable media so that you can try out Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on your system before you try to upgrade. If you do decide to try the upgrade rather than a new install over your existing hard drive, good luck! If you are unlucky with completing the upgrade using the Ubuntu Software Updater utility, I would suggest you can save a great deal of time by doing a new install from a USB bootable or similar device.
    +1

May I add, that you can probably keep /home, which is easy if you copy the old /home directory to a separate home partition, and select 'Something else' at the partitioning page of the installer, where you can select not only / (the root partition) which should be formatted, but also /home (the home partition) which should not be formatted.

This way the personal settings (in the hidden files of user home directories) as well as personal files will be transferred to the new system. But global settings and installed programs must be fixed manually.

Beans

Thanks for the report, bruno172. I knew I felt better about installing any new major release of the distro from scratch rather than accept an "upgrade" based on the prior version, and you have provided a concrete reason backing up my feeling, even though I don't have the same model of computer as yours.

As an aside, in response to the followup by sudodus, I don't keep my personal files in ~, because ~ includes the "dot" files established by applications. I keep my personal files in directories the entire content of which I control manually, on a partition defined by me and mounted at /mnt/local. Part of that forms the basis for my backups.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Waugh View Post
    As an aside, in response to the followup by sudodus, I don't keep my personal files in ~, because ~ includes the "dot" files established by applications. I keep my personal files in directories the entire content of which I control manually, on a partition defined by me and mounted at /mnt/local. Part of that forms the basis for my backups.
    +1

This is a good alternative. As a matter of fact, I do that too, I have a data partition mounted at /mnt, and I back it up separately like you. (But I know that many people prefer using a home partition.)

Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138