Page 137 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Thanks, sudodus! The machine is still working, and audio is also functional. I can finally deliver it to it's owner. I want to thank all contributors to this thread, and also it's originator. It's been educational. Now I'm off to learn more about working in linux, maybe I will be able to be of assistance to other someday as you have been! Also another big thank you to Oldfred! --jeff3211

Beans

Hello folks - I would appreciate some help with installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS from the ISO in a VM under unRAID on a specific nVidia GPU because I am getting a pink speckled screen with black blocks after the GRUB menu.

Ubuntu Version : 16.04 LTS
    GPU : ASUS 1080 Ti ROG STRIX OC (ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING)
    unRAID : 6.4.0-rc9
    VM Template : Ubuntu
    Cores 6, RAM 8Gb, Machine Q35 2.10 OVMF, ISO /mnt/user/isos/Linux/ubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso, VDISK 80Gb on /mnt/disks/nvme/Ubuntu/vdisk1.img, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (01:00.0), Sound NVIDIA GP102 HDMI Audio Controller (01:00.1)

unRAID is booted off the iGPU so the VM has exclusive use of the 1080 Ti. IOMMU groups are set up properly with nothing else in the GPU group.

I start the VM and the OVMF bios splash shows then GRUB loads properly. I can get into the 'e' and 'c' options. If I pick either "Try Ubuntu" or "Install Ubuntu" the screen goes blank but the monitor backlight stays on for a few seconds. The backlight goes off then the screen returns with a garbled pink snow with five black blocks across the top. There is no movement indicating that a mouse is present.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F7 do nothing.

The odd thing here is that pulling the 1080 Ti out and replacing it with a 1050 Ti (EX-GTX1050TI-4G) results in Ubuntu loading perfectly first time. It is very confusing. I am suspecting that the 1080 Ti is not responding properly when asked what graphics modes it supports but I do not know how to proceed.

Another oddity is that the Linux Mint ISO fails to recognise either GPU just giving me a blank screen (no cursor) with both. Windows 10 doesn't mind at all in that I can start the VM with VNC, complete the Win10 install then edit the VM template to include the real GPU and it is fine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

==
    EDIT : Hardware in use... Caselabs S8 : Intel i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / Asus 1080 Ti / WD Red 4x 8Tb, Samsung 850PRO 512Gb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / unRAID Plus 6.4.0-rc9
    Last edited by Daniel_Coffey; October 6th, 2017 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Hardware included

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have you tried nomodeset?
    Or ther recovery mode to get to command line (with Internet) to install nVidia driver? Recovery mode already has nomodeset as boot option.

If you have installed any nVidia driver and are changing you must totally purge driver or you get conflicts. New driver does not correctly overwrite old driver & settings.

If you can boot with 1050, I might do that to install very newest nVidia driver from ppa. Then 1080 may just work.

At grub menu you can use e for edit, scroll to linux line and replace quiet splash with nomodeset.
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 - both BIOS liveCD & grub first boot ( also UEFI with grub)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    How to add boot parameters, grub menu after install (also grub when UEFI)
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters

Updated driver search by nVidia model, do not download, just check correct driver version
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers

We typically do not suggest running the .run files from nVidia.
    As then you have to rerun the dkms on every kernel update.
    Where versions of nVidia installed from repository just work.
    And if you have a very new nVidia card, and need a driver newer than in default repository, there is a ppa with all the new versions pre-configured.
    #What is installed
    dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
    dkms status
    lsmod | grep nvidia

# Shows standard repository versions, which is the same as
    System Settings, Software & Updates icon, Additional drivers tab
    ubuntu-drivers devices

Details on why and future incorporation to Ubuntu installer
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/004693.html
    https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    # should show newest versions available in addition
    ubuntu-drivers devices
    Choose any in list, you probably want newest, or possibly slightly older but newest stable.
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-XXX

If you have installed any version, you must purge first, old will conflict with new as new install does not overwrite old version.
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia* bumblebee primus bbswitch-dkms
    This xorg file may not exist, so if error that would be ok
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
    sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
    If you just want default version - recommended one
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    Or you manually choose any in list.
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-XXX
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I did try nomodeset (but didn't remove quiet or splash) so I will have another go. I could not see any recovery mode offered by the GRUB on the install ISO. This is a clean install so no existing nvidia drivers are present.

EDIT : OK, I tried nomodeset without the quiet or splash commands and just got the blank screen (like I do with Linux Mint). No cursor, nothing.

At the moment I can't put both the 1050Ti and 1080Ti in the machine at the same time (not enough free slots) but I can pull the 1080Ti and install Ubuntu on the 1050Ti then swap back and see what happens.
    Last edited by Daniel_Coffey; October 6th, 2017 at 05:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I thought you had installed.
    You would have to install with 1050, and boot perhaps with nomodeset even with 1050 into install. Or with recovery mode. (installer does not have that). Then add ppa & newest nVidia driver. Driver should be same for 1050 & 1080.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for the help. I am afraid that I was not able to get Ubuntu acting stable under unRAID in a VM on my specific hardware. I was getting garbled graphics on boot, invisible mouse cursor, slow initialisation of the desktop and USB devices dropping out.

In the end I will go back to running bare metal and forget about the virtualisation.

I suspect that since other people were reporting success with VMs under unRAID, it would have been down to the virtualisation support on my consumer motherboard. It would probably have worked on a Xeon server board which at the moment I do not have.

Beans

Hello
    I would appreciate some help with my Ubuntu 18.04 black screen problem.
    I got new Asus fx503vd noteboot with i5 7300HQ and nvida gtx1050, had problems with gparted and instaling ubuntu, but made it... and now the problem is black screen on the noteboot and hdmi works fine...
    tried with nomodeset, nouveu-modeset=0, nvidia.modeset=0... drivers are installed...

https://imgur.com/a/nRI4NXb

pictures are from TV which now works fine...
    https://imgur.com/a/jA0fdHe
    please help me...
    Last edited by milanps; May 30th, 2018 at 11:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Does any of this apply?
    https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015072/

I have this boot parameter in my notes on an older Asus:
    Asus i3 with Intel graphics,
    acpi_osi=Linux

Beans

Another whole day spent but nothing achieved...
    I don't know how many times I have reinstalled ubuntu... got a picture with acpi=off nouveau.modeset=0 xforcevesa, but that only fuctions without nvidia drivers... I installed drivers nvidia 390 and 396, purged them few times and reinstaled, made dist-upgrade, and other updates and upgrades, but still didn't get picture on screen (HDMI works OK ), found at some forum “deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-proposed multiverse main universe restricted" to add in etc/apt/sourslist file ... but still nothing ...
    any ideas ?

Beans

Hi all.

I have been stuck with Ubuntu 10.04 (12.04 on another drive) on my main pc for several years due to not being able to install the recent software. My last attempt was over a year ago; didn't work and I thought things might be different if I tried it again with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, however, still stuck at the Ubuntu dots screen! I am able to fully and successfully install 18.04 onto my hard drive. The problem is then booting into that installation afterwards.

I thought I might post the info that appeared after the Ubuntu dots screen gave up, in case anyone here could narrow my issue down before I begin trudging through this thread to try to troubleshoot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

A little info on my pc:
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 AMD AM3+ motherboard with onboard ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics but my monitor is connected to a separate nVidia video card and not the motherboard's onboard graphics.
    8Gb RAM

The text that appeared after the Ubuntu dots screen gave up:

Mydisk: clean, 141721/9281536 files, 1690715/37108886 blocks.
    [ OK ] Stopped Login Service.
    Starting Login Service...
    [ OK ] Stopped crash report submission daemon.
    [ OK ] Started crash report submission daemon.
    [ FAILED ] Failed to start Network Manager.
    see 'systemctl status NetworkManager.service' for details.
    [ OK ] Started Hold until boot process finishes up.
    [ FAILED ] Failed to start System Logging Service.
    see 'systemctl status rsyslog.service' for details.
    [ OK ] Started Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen.
    Last edited by A Traveller; June 5th, 2018 at 03:11 PM.

Page 137 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 LastLast