Never mind, I am up and running
    Larry
    Ubuntu User #8499

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Glad to hear that you are up and running again.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello People,

Ok your post is very helpful and enlightening, but could someone tell me please what happens when you get no GUI
    or text terminal?
    I'm stuck in dark here!!!

I got grub so I can boot with my previous kernel but after upgrading to 16.04 I get a blank screen.
    This happened each and every time after upgrading but at least back then I had the option to
    activate the proprietary/additional driver and carry on. Now the driver for AMD/ATI Redwood PRO is
    installed "by default" I'm unable to resolve this problem!!!

Please HELP!
    !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So you say you have no Graphical Login and cannot get to text console? But from your post, you do get to see the Grub menu right?

On your question, to get to the recovery console, at the Grub2 boot menu, arrow down to the "Advance Options" menu. In that menu will be a recovery mode boot for each kernel version.

Or from post #2 of this thread, if you use the link for instructions on chaging grub2 boot options, you could delete the words "quest splash" and append the word "text"... and boot to a text console mode.

I think you have a typo in describing your video card... Please try again.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Ok so my video card is: [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]

The recovery mode does not help at all , I just get to boot with an older kernel which works somehow with low resolution.

I tried some of your tips in the thread

Let me explain what's happening

I switch on my PC, I always get to see my grub options and switch to "Advanced Options "
    I get a list of 6 or 7 kernels to select from but it seems I only get to boot with an older kernel - 3.16.0-77
    when using this specific kernel I get a gui and all the other text terminals <Alt> + <Ctrl> + F1 etc...
    In case I choose any other kernel the only thing I got till now (saying "till now" cause I followed your advice changing "quiet splash" to text)
    was the logo "ubuntu" with the rolling dots beneath in very high resolution, and then instead of the login screen just a blank screen.
    But the truth is that if I type my password in the blank login screen I login indeed but still have a blank screen.

I am totally convinced that after upgrading to 16.04 the OS somehow selected a resolution my monitor cannot support.

Can you please help?

so I tweaked my grub based on your thread

In a terminal:

cd/etc/default
    sudo gedit grub
    Edit the line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT". Add your new options, for example:
    Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=VGA:1024x768-16@60
    Now in a terminal run
    Code:

sudo update-grub
    I also tweaked my kernel by editing on start up setting the same resolution as in grub, something like this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-38-generic root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro nosplash video=VGA:1024x768-16@60
    so my pc is running again

thanks MAFoElffen

thanx for the help sorry for the late answer
    Last edited by nkbatsi; September 10th, 2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: found my answer
    !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Glad that it helped.

Sorry about my late response. I have been on vacation, where no internet existed. Hard to imagine that a place where that is possible still exists today! Part of what makes me appreciate what I have and where I am in life.

One further suggestion to tweak what you came up with might be:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=VGA:1024x768-16@60 radeon.modeset=0"
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 19th, 2016 at 03:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Guys, I need help because I really don't know why I don't have video signal in my xubuntu 16.04

The system was running fine since last Friday, but today when I switch on the computer, I have only a black screen. The monitor led blinks indicating no signal. My first thought was the cable, then the monitor, but then I got the idea to enter the bios and I entered the bios pressing F2, everything is ok with monitor and cable. Then I monitored the hdd led during the boot and it blinks as it was loading the system. After this, I remembered that I have teamviewer to start with the system, then I went to another system and connected to the computer with video problem, however through teamviewer the resolution is something around 800x600. I tried to change to the correct resolution, but it seems that the monitor was not detected so I could not change the resolution.

My computer uses a intel mb its int video.

Can someone help me to fix this issue (no video signal )?

Beans

I've just installed ubuntu 14.04 64 bit on my new LDLC Mercure MA1 Slim laptop (with Intel Celeron N2830 processor). I have no problem in booting and shutting-down but if I restart, after shutting-down, the laptop freezes on a black screen at the beginning of the boot. I believe there must be a solution to my problem somewhere in this thread, but there are so many posts that I'm totally lost. Will some of you be so kind to point me to the relevant post(s) please? Of course, I'm happy to provide all the extra pieces of information that you need.

Beans
    Distro

Hello, It's been a long time since I logged into this forum. I thought I had a fix, but the machine I am working on still has graphics problems. I am working on an HP Pavilion 20 with AMD E1 Vision Processor and AMD / ATI Radeon HD 7310 graphics. I thought I had solved the issue by turning on Palette Snoop in the UEFI / BIOS but the machine only booted correctly with usable resolution 1 time. Then it was back to the black screen!

I'm going to keep working on the issue and reading more posts in this thread, any suggestions are appreciated!
    Last edited by jeff3211; May 7th, 2017 at 02:50 AM. Reason: previously posted information found to be useless

Beans
    Hidden!

@jeff3211,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, how to fix the graphics in an HP Pavilion 20

Page 135 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast