Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1344

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by ee4hire View Post
    Just did the latest 12.04 upgrade, kernel 3.2.0-48-generic. Can no longer get a login on my screens.
    I use nvidia drivers to drive two displays and have been using the nvidia-current drivers. All has been working fine but can't get to a gnome login after the upgrade. I can access the machine via ssh, so I've tried backing up to the -45 kernel, but also doesn't work. Took out the nvidia (apt-get purge nvidia*) and still can't get the displays to work.
    I saw the press release about the abi changes in 48 and the warnings that 3rd party drivers would need to be recompiled. I guess that will mean I need new nvidia driver?
    Just re-installed this machine on Monday. Before I install nvidia drivers I at least get my displays on, though it is always mirrored between the two. Any ideas before I re-install again from 12.04 install media and stop short of .48 in my upgrade?
    A work machine, when will I learn to never, never upgrade Ubuntu when there is work to be done...
    It does sound like the display driver. If it were me, I would unconnect one display temporaily. Make sure the primary display is the connection hooked to the connection nearest the mother board. Boot and then check the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and look for where the display is recongnised and make sure it see's the EDID data in the display. You can check this file over ssh. Also see if XServer is loading all the pieces of your video driver. Reinstall the driver, then check this file again.

If you don't know how to read that, please post it here (I'll keep checking for your responses) and interpret it for you.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 19th, 2013 at 03:19 AM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Hi I'm having the problem of no display after splash screen, just a black screen. I upgraded from 12.04 to 13.04, and after restarting the computer after the upgrade is when I had the problem. I also have Windows 7 installed on my computer, which I installed first. I tried adding "nomodeset" after splash in the boot line in the edit mode of grub, which only takes me to a text login that mysteriously says Ubuntu 12.10. I try typing "sudo lightdm" and nothing happens excepts if says it tries to load some things than freezes and I can't get the terminal back and have to restart. I also tried adding into the end of the kernal line "xforcevesa", "i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa" and both don't work, only take me to the same text login like nomodeset. I tried upgrading the kernal and that doesn't work either. None of my past kernals that are available in grub work either. I don't know what else to do, please help.

Also by the way I'm using a Gateway laptop, model E-295C, with an integrated graphics card by Intel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ccameron-
    At the grub menu, go to the rescue menu, go to a root prompt. Please post the results of
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA

Beans

Last edited by diegos91; July 1st, 2013 at 01:49 AM.

Beans

Post Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

I upgraded my DVR (Ubuntu running MythTV) to 12.04. Since then, upon boot, everything looks normal until it starts X, whereupon the onboard video (GeForce 7100/nForce 630i) stops producing a video signal. The TV (connected via HDMI) goes black and eventually shuts off because it's not receiving a signal; if I connect a VGA monitor, it displays "NO SIGNAL" as soon as X starts. I can't switch to a tty (well, I can, but there's still no video signal so I can't see anything).

I can ssh into the machine; ps tells me that lightdm and Xorg are running. I can also add 'text' to the kernel line in grub, and it boots to the login prompt just fine; but as soon as I try to start any display manager, I lose the video signal again. Stopping the display manager and X does not bring back the video signal; I have to reboot before I get any video again.

There are no errors in Xorg.0.log, and it looks like it's reading the EDID information from my TV with no trouble. I get the same result whether I'm using nouveau, nvidia-current, or nvidia-current-updates. I tried using the 304.64 drivers from nVidia's site, but it complained about a version mismatch with something. I've tried everything I can think of with xorg.conf, from explicitly setting modelines to removing it altogether.

Booting to my pre-upgrade kernel (2.6.32-36-generic) gives me some sort of weird VESA pseudo-text mode with a graphic cursor on tty7.

Kind of at my wit's end here, so I hope someone can help me.

Output of lspci:
    Code:
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: C73 [GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 10
           bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
           version: a2
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 66MHz
           capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:23 memory:ed000000-edffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:ee000000-eeffffff memory:cff00000-cff1ffff
    Update: partially solved - Configuring xorg.conf to to display on the TV at 720p instead of 1080p made it work. Kind of. Still have blank text-mode tty consoles once X starts, and ViewPortIn/ViewPortOut seem to be ignored in xorg.conf, so I'm getting parts of the desktop UI hidden in the overscan, but at least I can see most of the screen now.
    Last edited by GodfreyDS; July 4th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

hi all,

i'm a newbie to ubuntu here, i just bought an 64bit Asus A45VS laptop with built-in nvidia geforce GT645M graphic card which preinstalled with Windows 8, but i don't wish to have Windows 8 installed in this laptop, so i formatted it, install only Ubuntu 13.04 64bit without creating a EFI partition.

after successfully install ubuntu, i go to About This Computer -> Overview -> Graphics, it shows me i got an Intel Ivybridge Mobile graphic card, so i search for some tutorial about installing nvidia graphic card. i've tried some installing methods, but fail, which outcome is not having any black screen, instead i got like a partly zoomed desktop which i'm unable view the full part of desktop, and it is hard for me to surf for solution. so i end up with reformat and install again. i've install n reinstall for around 3 days... all method failed.

now i found a thread from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2142117, which asking to try key in some codes and see the result of it which is:

dpkg -l | grep nvidia

lsmod | grep nvidia

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga

and my outcome is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:10ac]
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    --
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 645M] [10de:0fd9] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:10ac]
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 07)

so i'm thinking, my nvidia graphic card is present here, do i still need to install the driver which i've dowloaded from nvidia page?

but before i have that thought, i followed bogan's directions found on this thread, post #1126, which of cause i installed dkms first. when i reach the steps which we need to install something:

sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa libglui-dev

i get:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package gcc-4.5 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

Package g++-4.5 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'gcc-4.5' has no installation candidate
    E: Package 'g++-4.5' has no installation candidate

but then i successfully install each of them one by one except the 2 package mention above. (when i installing build essential, i think i saw gcc install with it)

so after i follow all the steps, installed the downloaded nvidia driver which suits my card version, i still got the same outcome (as attached photo)

maybe i have over looked some steps, any help?

thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GodfreyDS View Post
    I upgraded my DVR (Ubuntu running MythTV) to 12.04. Since then, upon boot, everything looks normal until it starts X, whereupon the onboard video (GeForce 7100/nForce 630i) stops producing a video signal. The TV (connected via HDMI) goes black and eventually shuts off because it's not receiving a signal; if I connect a VGA monitor, it displays "NO SIGNAL" as soon as X starts. I can't switch to a tty (well, I can, but there's still no video signal so I can't see anything).

I can ssh into the machine; ps tells me that lightdm and Xorg are running. I can also add 'text' to the kernel line in grub, and it boots to the login prompt just fine; but as soon as I try to start any display manager, I lose the video signal again. Stopping the display manager and X does not bring back the video signal; I have to reboot before I get any video again.

There are no errors in Xorg.0.log, and it looks like it's reading the EDID information from my TV with no trouble. I get the same result whether I'm using nouveau, nvidia-current, or nvidia-current-updates. I tried using the 304.64 drivers from nVidia's site, but it complained about a version mismatch with something. I've tried everything I can think of with xorg.conf, from explicitly setting modelines to removing it altogether.

Booting to my pre-upgrade kernel (2.6.32-36-generic) gives me some sort of weird VESA pseudo-text mode with a graphic cursor on tty7.

Kind of at my wit's end here, so I hope someone can help me.

Output of lspci:
    Code:
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: C73 [GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 10
           bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
           version: a2
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 66MHz
           capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:23 memory:ed000000-edffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:ee000000-eeffffff memory:cff00000-cff1ffff
    Update: partially solved - Configuring xorg.conf to to display on the TV at 720p instead of 1080p made it work. Kind of. Still have blank text-mode tty consoles once X starts, and ViewPortIn/ViewPortOut seem to be ignored in xorg.conf, so I'm getting parts of the desktop UI hidden in the overscan, but at least I can see most of the screen now.
    Look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if xorg-server is getting EDID data from the TV... Has to be connected and powered on at boot --or-- the data can be connected locally and the port forced to stay on using the local stored data...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Stanleyhunk... Google "bumblebee" and "ubuntu hybrid switched graphics". Your laptop has switch graphics, which means that it has 2 graphics chips and switches between the two. The primary is the Intel GPU which is low graphics and uses less battery. The Nvidia chip is high graphics and uses more battery. The vendor program to do that is proprietary and they write it for windows. Although not written by the vendors for Linux and Unix, people/groups have found a way to do that for those OS'es.

Sometimes there is a switch in the BIOS. Sometimes not. Bumblebee is a "program" or set of script using programs that switches the hardware to a Graphics chip, then changes to a version of the xorg.conf file that will point to the pertinent graphics driver for that chip.

The bumble site has instructions for installing. Basically, you install the graphics drivers, then bumblebee. On startup, a script asks which graphics chip you want to use. Your choice, makes the changes necessary to do that...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 7th, 2013 at 06:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if xorg-server is getting EDID data from the TV... Has to be connected and powered on at boot --or-- the data can be connected locally and the port forced to stay on using the local stored data...
    Sorry, I was ambiguous. When I wrote, "There are no errors in Xorg.0.log, and it looks like it's reading the EDID information from my TV with no trouble", I should have made it clearer that both parts of that sentence referred to Xorg.0.log.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So you are using viewport... and when using two display devices of varied resolutions, one port does not get a signal (the other does)... Is that the way I should read that?

Please post the xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log...

Page 129 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131 ... LastLast