Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ralink RT5390 in 11.04

Hybrid View

Beans

Ralink RT5390 in 11.04

Hi there,

This is my first post here, so hello everyone

I'll go through some background info first - I have recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my HP G62 laptop. The wireless card in this laptop is a Ralink RT5390 (I have confirmed this through lspci and via Windows). I'm a total linux noob, but I have researched the problem and tried following several instructions on the web for this particular wireless card (such as http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=42), but I seem to be failing at the first hurdle every time.

I have gotten as far as downloading the source code for the driver and attempting to compile it, but I can't seem to get it to compile. I seem to get the following result every time:

make[2]: *** [/home/donald/Downloads/wireless/os/linux/../../os/linux/cfg80211.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/donald/Downloads/wireless/os/linux] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

I have read on some pages that I should attempt to modify the config.mk and Makefile files, but being a noob I have no idea what to look out for or what to edit.

I am aware that 11.04 is a new release of Ubuntu, could my issues be due to this being so recent and the driver requires an update from the vendor?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ralink RT5390 in 11.04

Please start with post #9 here. If you have a question, post back. This is a fairly advanced process, but if you follow each step carefully, you should be successful. I have subscribed to the thread, so, if you get stuck, shout and I'll help you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=5390
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Please start with post #9 here. If you have a question, post back. This is a fairly advanced process, but if you follow each step carefully, you should be successful. I have subscribed to the thread, so, if you get stuck, shout and I'll help you.

For any searchers, this thread solved my problem.

Beans

For what it's worth, it didn't for me (at least yet); I can build the driver, and I see a wlan0, but NetworkManager doesn't see it, I can't create connections on it, and so on.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post

Now that support for this device is in kernel 3.0, using the kernel PPA is a simpler solution. See my comment #14 on launchpad. And, from the bug details there, its clear that 11.10 will have support out-of-the-box.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pturmel View Post
    Now that support for this device is in kernel 3.0, using the kernel PPA is a simpler solution. See my comment #14 on launchpad. And, from the bug details there, its clear that 11.10 will have support out-of-the-box.
    I'm sorry pturmel.. but I followed your instructions and I'm not able to see the card work properly.
    Could you help me, guys?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by palimmo View Post
    I'm sorry pturmel.. but I followed your instructions and I'm not able to see the card work properly.
    Could you help me, guys?
    Now it works!

But.. the led changes continuously and very fast the colour, from white to orange and so on!

Could it be dangerous???

Beans

Wink Re: Ralink RT5390 in 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by palimmo View Post
    Now it works!

But.. the led changes continuously and very fast the colour, from white to orange and so on!

Could it be dangerous???
    Mh...
    I've also tried to delete both
    echo 1814 5390 >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/rt2800pci/new_id
    in
    /etc/rc.local

and

rt5390sta
    rt2800pci
    in
    /etc/modules

And it works as well!

....but it flashes continuously! So worrying!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by port86 View Post
    Hi there,

This is my first post here, so hello everyone

I'll go through some background info first - I have recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my HP G62 laptop. The wireless card in this laptop is a Ralink RT5390 (I have confirmed this through lspci and via Windows). I'm a total linux noob, but I have researched the problem and tried following several instructions on the web for this particular wireless card (such as http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=42), but I seem to be failing at the first hurdle every time.

I have gotten as far as downloading the source code for the driver and attempting to compile it, but I can't seem to get it to compile. I seem to get the following result every time:

make[2]: *** [/home/donald/Downloads/wireless/os/linux/../../os/linux/cfg80211.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/donald/Downloads/wireless/os/linux] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

I have read on some pages that I should attempt to modify the config.mk and Makefile files, but being a noob I have no idea what to look out for or what to edit.

I am aware that 11.04 is a new release of Ubuntu, could my issues be due to this being so recent and the driver requires an update from the vendor?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Try this, it worked for me:
    -edit config.mk ( should be under ..../os/linux )
    -look for this line:
    HAS_CFG80211_SUPPORT=y
    -change "y" to "n" then recompile and run make install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dr.s View Post
    Try this, it worked for me:
    -edit config.mk ( should be under ..../os/linux )
    -look for this line:
    HAS_CFG80211_SUPPORT=y
    -change "y" to "n" then recompile and run make install.
    This worked for me! Thank you!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast