Thread: How to check what's using system resources?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question How to check what's using system resources?

When I load Skype Beta 2.2 my system starts acting crazy, the CD icon on the bottom of my computer blinks crazy, I think it may be the ram or something that's causing a ton of read/write going on through my computer. Is there a way I can check to see what's using the most system resources such as which application or thing may be using to much for my computer to handle. When this happens with Skype, the bottom of my computers CD icon or whatever it is, blinks in a blue light, that usually only happens when I'm installing something. Also, when Skype loads and this happens my mouse cursor just freezes in place on the screen, when I try to move it, it barely moves. I don't know why? It hangs for a second stuck like my computer just froze. Than maybe 10 seconds later when I'm not touching the mouse it finally moves in the place which from earlier I tried moving it. Just to say, this may be cause to it as well, or not, I have the Japanese font enabled, I did this for fun, when I was on Skype and that thing happened with my computer, just a few seconds ago it may be due to when my mouse froze or stuck in place as it did. My Japanese font just came up from the ibus on my taskbar, next to the notification area (By the clock) on the top panel. It caused this to start typing in the Anthy font from the ibus on the top panel. This is Ubuntu 11.04.

Beans
    Distro

Re: How to check what's using system resources?

Try htop.
    You can list the processes by cpu or memory usage. As I recall it's in the repositories. Either that or it's included already.

Beans
    Distro

Re: How to check what's using system resources?

Just installed htop, still not sure what exactly it is that's causing it. But I'll review it some more. Thanks though.