Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 upgrade, wrong Grub config - stuck on CLI 'GNU grub 1.97 beta 4'

Beans

Angry 11.04 upgrade, wrong Grub config - stuck on CLI 'GNU grub 1.97 beta 4'

Hello,

When I upgraded to 11.04 it looks like i picked the wrong option when prompted about the grub configuration! I selected keep installed grub, and now I only get 'GNU Grub 1.97~beta4' bash:grub> CLI when I start up. I've tried all the instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Rescue%20Mode

but then when I type 'boot' and hit enter, it just reboots to the same screen again! So frustrating. Can anyone help?!

Update: I did an install from a CD, hoping that this would solve the problem - but the same thing still happens! Seems like it's booting to an old version of GRUB that's installed in one of my many and unnecessary partitions. Alas I'm not CLI-savvy enough to be able to fix this. Fortunately I have 2 hard drives, and by booting from the other one I can now get an old version of 9.04 running (just about!) from that. I'm starting to consider backing up my files and just wiping the whole thing...
    Last edited by sophy_m; April 29th, 2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: update

Beans

Angry Re: 11.04 upgrade, wrong Grub config - stuck on CLI 'GNU grub 1.97 beta 4'

I can't offer you any advice just consolation that I chose "Keep existing Grub configuration" too, but mine started up.

I'm sure someone here will help resolve you issue with Grub,
    but if you happen to have to install again you could choose "Custom" under the partitioning section of the Installation and assign your root / and swap spaces but when you assign your Home partition to the same one you have now make sure the format box next to it is unchecked and that will leave it intact.

How I got Windows as the default in Grub:
    Afterward I did use Start-up manager to select the default of Windows 7 in my dual boot system but it would keep Ubuntu as the default choice. I found a tip from a bug report that he chose the Mem test above the Windows7 loader as the default and when I did that Windows 7 was selected as the default which was the last line of choices in grub. So I am not entirely sure if that is a Grub or Start-up Manager issue.

Update:
    I did go back to that machine and it has "GNU Grub version 1.99~rc1-13 ubuntu3" at the top
    of the screen. I do remember after choosing "Keep existing Grub configuration" a text box with rapidly scrolling text the words about having to update grub. I'm not sure if that was just it echoing what it was doing or trying to tell me that I would have to run some command line voodoo to update grub later. So I'm not sure if I have the version that was supposed to be installed with 11.04 or some older version. I updated from 10.10 to 11.04.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

It says 1.98 and later is Grub2 and 1.99 is installed with Natty
    Last edited by ghostborg; April 29th, 2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Update:

Beans

Re: 11.04 upgrade, wrong Grub config - stuck on CLI 'GNU grub 1.97 beta 4'

Yes I've pretty much resigned myself to a reinstall. Just burning the disc now.

Beans

Smile Re: 11.04 upgrade, wrong Grub config - stuck on CLI 'GNU grub 1.97 beta 4'

Try to do the custom install and uncheck the format option on the home partition unless you already backed up what you need and just want to start completely fresh. Remember to backup or export your browser bookmarks if you need them. I sometimes forget.
    Good Luck to you.

Beans

Bumping with an update...

Beans
    Hidden!

I have the same problem...I tried the following but no luck...

http://aaron-kelley.net/blog/2011/04...-ubuntu-11-04/

I get to the grub> prompt and when entering "boot" I get "no kernel" error.

The last kernel right before 11.04 upgrade didn't work right so I removed it and kept using the previous one. Now I'm guessing those got removed during the upgrade and I'm stuck...

I'm dual booting macbook pro and really hoping to avoid reinstalling both systems...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The current version of Grub2 did not install. Current was GNU Grub 1.99~rc1 *sorry, didn't look this morning to check for today).

Grub will need to be reinstalled. These 2 links should help you be able to install grub from the Natty 11.04 LiveCDt:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks, but it didn't work...
    sudo grub returns - command not found

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jerrycal View Post
    Thanks, but it didn't work...
    sudo grub returns - command not found
    Where did that come from?

Try from a terminal session booted from a LiveCD (from my first reference)
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    If the user isn't sure of the partition, look for one of the appropriate size or formatting. Running

Code:
    sudo blkid
    may provide more information to help locate the proper partition, especially if the partitions are labeled. The device/drive is designated by sdX, with X being the device designation. sda is the first device, sdb is the second, etc. For most users the MBR will be installed to sda, the first drive on their system. The partition is designated by the Y. The first partition is 1, the second is 2. Note the devices and partitions are counted differently.

Mount the partition containing the Ubuntu installation.

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 Note: If the user has a separate /boot partition, this must be mounted to /mnt/boot Note: If the user has a separate /home partition, this must be mounted to /mnt/home. Encrypted home partitions should work.

Run the grub-install command as described below. This will reinstall the GRUB 2 files on the mounted partition to the proper location and to the MBR of the designated device.
    Code:
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
    Example: sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    I editted that... new change for natty and this version of grub is "boot" instead of "root"...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 1st, 2011 at 04:08 AM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Where did that come from?

Try from a terminal session booted from a LiveCD (from my first reference)
    I editted that... new change for natty and this version of grub is "boot" instead of "root"...

Sorry, I should have said, it came from Live CD...it said "command not found" when I ran "sudo grub".

I had to do this going from Karmic Koala to Lucid Lynx and it worked then, but not this time.

My installation is on sda4.
    Running fdisk -l returns:

/dev/sda1/ GPT
    /dev/sda2/ HFS / HFS+
    /dev/sda3/ EFI
    /dev/sda4/ LINUX

so I ran:
    sudo mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
    then
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

it returns: "Installation Finished - No Errors Reported", however it still boots to GRUB prompt.
    But this time it says that the GRUB Version is 1.99 so I guess it did install itself but still won't go pass the prompt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast